[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

SHADOW-XIII : It was being worked on for a while :p

I don't use Styler, so I had to install it in a VM, find the correct path (%programfiles%\Styler\TB\skins\Styler's\), extract the .ico, change it to PNG, make transparent, make it an ico, make it a gif.

It should be all done now :p

SooperDoode : I also added a new slider ;)

You can extract it from the XPI (mine) and add it to the JAR (foxytunes) manually. The same instructions apply.

Edited by bobp

Oh, and vertigosity...

eibmmnmcx.png

Just thought you would like to squash a bug... well like... a bug!

If you're pointing at the 16-color toolbar buttons, I'm probably going to leave that one alone for now, as the non-Fusion comctl32.dll won't accept alphabmps.

Wow, the thread just got a little... long?

If you're pointing at the 16-color toolbar buttons, I'm probably going to leave that one alone for now, as the non-Fusion comctl32.dll won't accept alphabmps.

Wow, the thread just got a little... long?

How do you make alphabmps? Like, if I make an image that is a toolbar BMP, except I made it with transparent PNGs and it has a transparent background... How do I get it to work in Windows? :unsure:

Are there any other Tango app skins out there that anybody thinks I should cover? [or even anything else I should add to the site, or even things that are wrong with the site / grammar /info / anything?

Edited by bobp

Looking for a TANGO style for WINAMP

-Thanks!

I haven't been able to find one, but I just use a heavily modified HmmXP theme (Mono Blue mod x 2).

ctkpgfnsh.png

Also, vertigosity, nusrmgr.cpl isn't fully patched (icon wise).

Under "23" there are two different files that are probably the alt tab and the main icon.

data_48 and data_49 (if you extract all 23 resources) are the files that you should patch ;)

helping me with my msn patcher will probably come in handy, because that's the same type ;)

Edited by bobp

Also, vertigosity, nusrmgr.cpl isn't fully patched (icon wise).

Under "23" there are two different files that are probably the alt tab and the main icon.

data_48 and data_49 (if you extract all 23 resources) are the files that you should patch ;)

helping me with my msn patcher will probably come in handy, because that's the same type ;)

One step ahead (and two steps behind) of you buddy - I did them earlier tonight ;). Keeping individual files instead of using an .rc+binary dumps, I found another weirdness in addition to the syntax oddity I found earlier. When replacing icons in that section, they can't be named .ico :blink:

Alphabmps courtesy of Resedit.

One step ahead (and two steps behind) of you buddy - I did them earlier tonight ;) . Keeping individual files instead of using an .rc+binary dumps, I found another weirdness in addition to the syntax oddity I found earlier. When replacing icons in that section, they can't be named .ico :blink:

Alphabmps courtesy of Resedit.

How does ResEdit make alphabmps? :unsure:

Or rather, how do you make alphabmps with ResEdit..

How does ResEdit make alphabmps? :unsure:

Or rather, how do you make alphabmps with ResEdit..

It automagically converts them to PNGs and dumps them to the "temp" subdirectory in its program folder. Use it to replace resources with pngs, save the file somewhere, and then use good 'ole reshack to pull the alphabmps. It's a little annoying as it's a two-stage process with a lot of GUI use; I'd love to find a command line tool to do the conversion, but I haven't found anything like that yet (I've been looking), so for now, That's How It's Done.

Erm... that doesn't make sense to me (sorry for making you do this all :blush: )

So.. how does a transparent PNG ---> "transparent" bitmap?

ResEdit translates PNGs to alphabmps more or less transparently. When you open a file, it dumps all the resources in the file to a temporary directory, and if it encounters an alphabmp during this process, converts it to a PNG. When you replace an alpha-transparencied bitmap through the UI, it accepts PNGs. When you save the file, it recompiles the dumped resources into the new file, and translates the PNGs back into alphabmps. (yeah, I know I'm the only person to call them that. It's catchy. I'm sticking with it.) Edited by vertigosity

Okay. I should totally not be up at 4:30 AM but I wanted to finish off my Forecastfox skin and the uTorrent icon ...which I did.

The Forecastfox icon pack is done but I'm still trying to figure out if it would be better to move down to the 16 by 16 icons for the toolbar. Also, I didn't want to remake any of the smaller icons due to my horrible icon making skills and I wanted to keep the set pretty decent in quality so the smaller toolbar icons are generic and the larger icons in the tooltip are more descriptive. It should still make sense...I think heh

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/36925711/

Also, I added the uTorrent 256 by 256 PNG icon into my Random Tango PNG set. I made it pretty much from scratch and it's based off of an .ICO I was given. It's pretty bad but I figured I'd add it just in case anybody wants it. I tried my best, I swear :p.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/36738974/ (for the whole pack)

http://www.deviantart.com/view/36926319/]http://www.deviantart.com/view/36926319/ (just the uTorrent icon)

Okay dA doesn't like me so the individual didnt get uploaded right. Just get it out of the pack.

The uTorrent icon isn't perfect but I do think it's pretty decent. That's just me though. I hope it's okay!

@bobp: If you want, you can add the Forecastfox theme to the patcher site. You don't have to though :p

Edited by SooperDoode

Tango XPize-based patcher Release Candidate. Get it now (darkt.net or benpbrown.com).

If nobody catches any patcher-bugs, suggests any low-effort resource replacements, or points out any blatant resource misassignments, this will be what the final release looks like, at the end of the month. I'm dropping Gnome-icon-theme2 for now, it'll be back after it's had a chance to mature a bit, both in GNOME CVS and in my work folders. I'll pretty much just wrap it up and call it an official (well, as official as anything I do can be) release Monday. I think I'll also have my new "Web 1.9-look" site ready by then, as well, so the official site doesn't become deprecated in favor of BobP's redesign :p Busy, busy, busy!

And no, I shouldn't be up at 5:00AM either, but I wanted to finish up RC1... which I did :whistle:

If anybody (SooperDoode) wants some help with smaller icon sizes, give me a holler. I consider them my specialty, sorta, and it always bugs me (and probably Jimmac/Lapo/Dobey/the other real Tango devs as well) to see 48x48 SVG used at the lower resolutions, so I'd be glad to help with that.

Edited by vertigosity

If anybody (SooperDoode) wants some help with smaller icon sizes, give me a holler. I consider them my specialty, sorta, and it always bugs me (and probably Jimmac/Lapo/Dobey/the other real Tango devs as well) to see 48x48 SVG used at the lower resolutions, so I'd be glad to help with that.

Well I got the small icons off of the tango site. I thought about using the 16 by 16 ones but I figured they weren't that different from the 22 by 22. I was wrong heh. I probably will go in and update the small icons witht he 16 by 16 versions. Do you mean that you can mod the smaller tango icons to create combined icons? THe usual Forecastfox icon packs have little icons with the combined sun and storm cloud and whatnot. I just didn't want to butcher the small icons by trying and putting a thundercloud icon over the sun icon.

I'm trying the RC1 patcher now. Do I see a boot splash?! :o

I've updated the download page.

vertigosity, everybody, I won't be connected to the internet for a week an a half. So yeah.

SooperDoode, ForeCastFox is updated.

Everybody, if you want something added, send me everything you can that will help (I can make the guide and such if you can't, although it would be nice ;)) @ tango-additions@benpbrown.com

Also, http://tango.benpbrown.com is a "mirror" of vertigosity. They are exactly the same, except tango. is better.

And if anyone is interested, I am testing RC1 on a testing nox. z0mg he hex edits ntoskrnl!

Edited by bobp

The latest version worked perfectly for me. The icons in Firefox that didn't get changed for me with the last version are skinned now. A really nice addition is the Firefox icon. Only thing I noticed with that: the uninstaller doesn't change it back.

All in all this Shell Patcher is near perfection (Thunderbird icon would be nice ;)).

/edit: Completely forgot the new icons for "Run" and "Search" in the start menu. Those fit the whole style of Tango way better than the old ones.

/edit2: Bootscreen works perfectly as well.

Edited by Xanthul

vertigosity, you'll be happy to know, it does boot :p

I haven't seen the bootscreen yet though. That box doesn't have a monitor (remote desktop ftw!)

:drool: z0mg that bootscreen is so. nice.

Everybody, its almost the same as the norm. but not ;)

Tango-ized flag and tango-ized progess bar. Otherwise, the same :)

User accounts (nusrmgr.cpl) is now tangoed!

inetcpl.cpl is now leet!

"setup a home or small office network" (hnetwiz.dll) is now tango!

Edited by bobp

i think the bootscreen BORKED MY xp :( it loads but i have a blackscreen and my curser i seen my firewall load but other than that NOTHING i cant get in to safemode too

thkz SooperDoode for the utorrent png, great work!!!

Glad you like it! I was worried it wasn't going to come out all that great.;))

Thanks Vertigosity for the update and SooperDoode for the Forecastfox icons!

Not a problem! I still may move down to a smaller size in toolbar icons. It just depends.

I've updated the download page.

SooperDoode, ForeCastFox is updated.

Heh. I see my name:DD. How cool is that! Thanks bunches!

i think the bootscreen BORKED MY xp:(( it loads but i have a blackscreen and my curser i seen my firewall load but other than that NOTHING i cant get in to safemode too

I had this happen when I did a boot replacement a couple of months ago. Sadly, you'll probably have to reinstall windows and opt out of the boot screen when you reinstall the patcher. Just to be on the safe side. I'm not sure why it does that but I guess it's because the boot runs on some kind of low resource thingy. I'm not really all that knowledgable of the technical guts of Windows:pp

I have a couple of questions as well...anyone ever have a problem with the skinning of the My Videos folder in My Documents? I have it and it's registered as a Shell Folder in the registry but it never skins. shell32.dll has the folder icon in it but just kind of passes it up. Anyone know a fix for this?

Also, is there a way to either skin the 'View system information' icon in the Common Tasks panel in Explorer or at least remove it?

Finally, I tried downloading the cool Styler theme by Shadow and for some reason Styler won't skin my toolbar using any theme. I have no idea why. Anyone know how to help?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and to make this post even longer, I am using RC1 of the patcher and it's fantabulous! The only problem I see is that Reloader keeps trying to patch something on startup and everytime I let it and restart it just notifies me again. I'm going to try doing it in Safe Mode. Boot screen rocks!!!!

If people are having a problem with the bootscreen... maybe just add another string in the boot.ini and naming the new "ntoskrnl.exe" to something like "tangoboot.exe" so you don't have to reinstall. It just looks for another kernel to boot from.

edit: on the http://tango.benpbrown.com page; the styler is intermingling with MusikCube.