[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

Have you guys tried this on a XP Pro machine joined to a domain? I did and it presented me with a black screen :( had to restore system from backup. Home system is tangoized, but work machine does not have the latest and greatest. Also, it seems Sophos AV detects the wfpdisable.exe as a virus.

Have you guys tried this on a XP Pro machine joined to a domain? I did and it presented me with a black screen :( had to restore system from backup. Home system is tangoized, but work machine does not have the latest and greatest. Also, it seems Sophos AV detects the wfpdisable.exe as a virus.

i used the latest (beta) version on a winxp pro sp2 machine on a domain, worked fine. previously i had the batch script version running on the same thing. i patched with the beta using safe mode, and all is well.

when i was using the batch version, 'trend officescan' was detecting the 'wfpdisable.exe' as a virus as well. pretty annoying. "UPX -9 wfpdisable.exe" seemed to make it stop, since trend is pretty brain dead. (this is certainly NOT a virus; it's usually detected as a malware tool.)

Edited by hohokus

BTW: is deviant art is no longer working with Opera browser?

left part of the page looks smashed, so i can't even click at download link

you can open your sidebar, click on links and search for the download link. not too complicated as there is only one link named "Download".

i used the latest (beta) version on a winxp pro sp2 machine on a domain, worked fine. previously i had the batch script version running on the same thing. i patched with the beta using safe mode, and all is well.

when i was using the batch version, 'trend officescan' was detecting the 'wfpdisable.exe' as a virus as well. pretty annoying. "UPX -9 wfpdisable.exe" seemed to make it stop, since trend is pretty brain dead. (this is certainly NOT a virus; it's usually detected as a malware tool.)

I'm still hesitant to run the latest patch on my system. Did you remove the script version prior to running the latest beta? Which options did you select when installing?

I don't know anything... at all... about NT Domains / Active Directory / Whatever they changed the name to for Server 2003. It shouldn't be any different, unless your administrator has set an AD object to block various filesystem operations, or something along those lines. I guess I still need to play with the comctl32.dll patching code.

Yeah, WFPdisable is frequently detected as a virus. Not a whole lot I can do about that, since it's sorta necessary for the comctl32-breaking parts. FlyakiteOSX uses it the same way, gets the same false-positives. I doubt UPXing the executable is really a solution for false-positiving, since there's antivirus software out there that flags anything that's UPX packed as a virus, but eh, I might do it anyways.

any news about the WLM patch?
It's a target for next month. I didn't really feel like doing anything to the patcher over the past few days, so I didn't;))
The page for which you are looking has been removed by order of National Security Agency.

Your IP address of [193.77.xxx.xxx] has been logged, and your ISP of [bSN-77-xxx-xxx.dial-up.dsl.siol.net] has been notified. Do not try to escape the United States Government

:pirate:: :pirate:: :rolleyes::

Seems BobP had some fun making his 404 page. Crazy Canadians. Link should work again.

I'm still hesitant to run the latest patch on my system. Did you remove the script version prior to running the latest beta? Which options did you select when installing?

i uninstalled the script version first, did a 'sfc /scannow', and then a windows update (just to be sure).

afterwards: rebooted in safe mode, used new patcher, selected everything except for the boot screen.

at any rate, i'd suggest making a backup first -- i don't mind breaking my machine at home, but the box at work needs to function. (i used acronis to image the whole thing.)

as far as the august release: how should i handle this? can i just install over top of the previous beta, or do i need to uninstall, reboot, reinstall?

CAREFUL

Not that it matters to me, I'm formatting anyway, but

So I installed iColorFolder, set it to default XP, then installed lastest august Tango patch, then installed Tango skin for iColor, and all icons are now missing.

Whatever I did, I screwed it up pretty hard.

afterwards: rebooted in safe mode, used new patcher, selected everything except for the boot screen.

at any rate, i'd suggest making a backup first -- i don't mind breaking my machine at home, but the box at work needs to function. (i used acronis to image the whole thing.)

as far as the august release: how should i handle this? can i just install over top of the previous beta, or do i need to uninstall, reboot, reinstall?

Booting in safe mode is unnecessary now. The boot screen isn't what's been breaking - it's comctl32.dll. So that worked for you :laugh: But yeah, I recommend backing stuff up before installing it too - I recommend that to anybody. Installing anything :p You can install "August 2006" over the previous betas, that's a large percentage of the point of the new installer.
So I installed iColorFolder, set it to default XP, then installed lastest august Tango patch, then installed Tango skin for iColor, and all icons are now missing.

Whatever I did, I screwed it up pretty hard.

Er... so what broke? If I'm reading you right, it sounds like iColorFolder didn't clear the icon cache properly. iCF and the patcher are basically unrelated, so you shouldn't have to play with one to play with the other anyways. Edited by vertigosity