[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

Yeah, to reiterate myself, Tango on Vista is 100% possible. Just it will require a full re-code of STTP. All new DLLs, icon locations in the DLL (shell32,10 in XP is different that shell32,10 in Vista), all new size + format bitmaps, completely new icons (256x256 needed now), new programs (WMP, Wordpad, hell even MSPAINT), and for one of the biggest reasons : NEW WFP FORMAT!

wfpdisable.exe from @stake does *not* work with Vista.

Other than that, it will be just a walk in the park :)

I'll try and put together a proof of concept. vertigosity, can I use your batch-script architecture for a Vista POC?

I'll make it only patch like 5 icons. But if one icon can be patched, then all icons can be patched (in time)

[edit] Just had a quick look through the DLLs on my Vista drive, and I can open up imageres.dll (consider it the Vista shell32.dll) and explorer.exe just fine. I even ripped out an icon from explorer.exe (I've been looking for the icon forever, a 256x256 created WLM icon!)

WFP is Windows File Protection. It's the thing that pops up and says "Unrecognized system files are...." and so on.
And then recopies them from the original source. Don't forget about that :p

Knock yourself out with the batch scripts.

Edit: I'm probably going to be retiring my current install in a day or two, and it's become a bit of a tradition for me to break out the latest Vista build I have (RC2, ATM) and play with it until I get tired of feeling like a geriatric retard with 2003-era hardware (well, I do have 2003-era hardware) and go back to XP. So I might try to poke around to see if I can figure out how/where WFP works myself, if only for trivia. I'd bet that'll be the same, but I KNOW resources got updated between RC2 and RTM. And RTM will exist for me only in 15-day blocks, really.

Edited by vertigosity

Unless you can reproduce it, so you can tell me which file was reloaded on the first boot after installation, it's not anything I can even look into. Maybe some component wanted to reinstall itself, and the reloader was just doing its job?Not from me!

I tried two times in VMware, I got this error every time.

After the first boot I see the Tango icons, but it claims one file still has to be replaced and a reboot is required.

If there is any way to see which file is being replaced after the reboot, I can report it back to you?

If there is any way to see which file is being replaced after the reboot, I can report it back to you?
Yeah, just run the non-silent reloader when you see that message.

Ok, so with the inclusion of the industrial set in the patcher, I just had to create a Total Commander icon theme to go with it :)

3y33aci.png

EDIT: I also packaged a sharper version of the regular Tango Total Commander theme, as the ones currently available are quite blurry. Let me know if anyone wants it, and I'll zip it and post it here.

industrial.zip

Edited by Dirhael

Ok, so with the inclusion of the industrial set in the patcher, I just had to create a Total Commander icon theme to go with it :)

3y33aci.png

EDIT: I also packaged a sharper version of the regular Tango Total Commander theme, as the ones currently available are quite blurry. Let me know if anyone wants it, and I'll zip it and post it here.

Awesome. Now do you see Gnome2 theme to work on in your future too? :D

Awesome. Now do you see Gnome2 theme to work on in your future too? :D

Sure, why not. It's not like it's that much work really :)

Here's the Gnome Total Commander icon theme:

2w1zh9l.png

gnome.zip

Does anyone know how to remove the drive meter posted earlier in the thread?
Yeah, delete the key at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\<drive letter>\DefaultIcon

for each drive that it needs to be removed from.

tangobugpv4.th.jpg

-Has this bug in the Gnome version benn fixed?

-There is also a bug in the screensaver selection if "no screensaver" is chosen. The blue placeholder doesn't fit in the screen.

But other than that I love this patcher. It's just perfect.

Thanks for all the updates vertigosity.

tangobugpv4.th.jpg

-Has this bug in the Gnome version benn fixed?

-There is also a bug in the screensaver selection if "no screensaver" is chosen. The blue placeholder doesn't fit in the screen.

But other than that I love this patcher. It's just perfect.

Thanks for all the updates vertigosity.

yep still has it just installed it today

untitledho8.th.jpg

I'm sorry dude, but that simply doesn't make any sense to me :D

Here's my reasoning:

Trusted sites bypass all of IE's security restrictions because IE gives them the go-ahead>> green icon "go"

Restricted sites are locked down>> red icon "stop"

Just think about it for a minute.

Anyway, it's no reason for me to get rid of the Tango Patcher, because I :wub: it

Eh, I'm thinking of it from the point of view of "how secure is the situation you're in right now?" - having a site marked as "trusted" is dangerous from a security standpoint, as it can pretty much do whatever it wants, whereas if it's marked as "restricted," the browser isn't going to just let the site damage the system - it's a more secure state. Otherwise, I need to change the Security Center notification icon telling the user that the firewall is down to a the green security-ok icon, because all remote computers have all been given the green light to connect to any local network service. I know, the way I've got it set doesn't jive with the way MS did it in IE4, but it makes more sense to me, and it's consistent with the way they're doing things now.

Now, onto the pink monitor in the Desktop tab of Display Properties when using Git2:

I finally got around to fixing it. The Magic Pink color just needed to be set to actual Magic Pink.

To apply it, put the attached file in %UserProfile%\Desktop\override\res_tweaked\themeui.dll before running the installer set to Git2.

Edited by vertigosity