[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

What wallpaper is that?

I'd like to know as well.

That is a beautiful desktop. Please, please, please give us some info on what dock icons you are using and what wall you are using. I know it isn't a desktop thread but you are using tango so it counts :p

I need a new avatar. Yeah.

untitled1am3.jpg

untitled1am3.th.jpg

why those icons are not changed?

os win2k3 sp2

I don't know if you've found the answer, but the same problem happens with the BuufXP Universal Shellpack, and is answered in that thread here on Neowin or you can go to this Tutorial. (Please note that it is in French). Also the Buuf version of the replacements for ComCtl32 can be retrieved from here. Just replace the buuf icons with the equivalent Tango and your ready to go.

I finally got around to fixing OOo's registry installation location detection code last night, and added the 2003 SP2 comctl32.dlls that Anarkhy reported. Of course, having OOo support is utterly useless now, so fixing it was really purely academic :p

A quick update with the slight Tangerine refresh for Feisty, a quick release, and I'm likely to call it a day on STTP for WinXP. Additionally, I might go ahead and make good on my threat to split up the app and OS portions of the patcher, since the application bits of STTP XP work perfectly well on Vista as they sit, and that'll reduce duplication between the two.

Resource Tuner Console looks ... powerful, but gosh its scripts look more complex than ResHack's. It should let me use PNGs straight-up in Vista, though, handling icon compilation itself, which presents a fascinating opportunity for not having to do as much work - always something that makes me happy. Considering both Vista support and use of RTC would be each a massive project in their own right, they'll be together. I'll have to see if I can get Heaventool's blessing on it, though - if it comes down to it, I can see if it's installed, and if its not wget the package from their site, extract, and silently install it, but that'll make an internet connection mandatory (yes, I'm the only person that'll bother, but no, doing it anyways would be bad design). Now that XPero's giving away XIS source, I guess I ought to ask him if I can redist STTP under a more open-source license as well, to expose all of my dirty hacks to the cold cruel world ... so many emails to write, so little time.

Edited by vertigosity

I finally got around to fixing OOo's registry installation location detection code last night, and added the 2003 SP2 comctl32.dlls that Anarkhy reported. Of course, having OOo support is utterly useless now, so fixing it was really purely academic :p
If you are referring here to the fact that I released Tango OOo Patcher I'd like to note that it does not do any registry detection so your solution is in this sense much more user-friendly
Considering both Vista support and use of RTC would be each a massive project in their own right, they'll be together.

As for Vista full support part I'm not so sure about whether there would be a large group of users using it ?. After all, Vista icons aren't bad and I believe it is not long before many people start migrating to Ubuntu where the patcher is implemented by default :)

By the way I wonder how many of us here use Vista now and consider using it for a longer time?

By the way I wonder how many of us here use Vista now and consider using it for a longer time?

funny u ask, last friday i install ubuntu and since them havent boot on to windows vista........to be hones what i thinkin is to install xp on a virtual machine and forget about vista........or maybe i install vista on VM......dont know

Not for some time, as I've got to have funds to get Windows Vista :whistle: :laugh: ! I will probably get it as soon as I can as most of my work will probably need Windows Vista to run although for now XP is enough.

Scirwode

The patcher in XP "feels" finished to me - granted, there's still plenty of stuff it could modify, but looking for and adding them feels too much like work. Vista is new, unexplored territory for me, and the "distance" it has from XP gives me a chance to play with new ideas without old cruft. Plus, high-res icons have a proper place in an OS that supports them properly :)

The patcher in XP "feels" finished to me - granted, there's still plenty of stuff it could modify, but looking for and adding them feels too much like work. Vista is new, unexplored territory for me, and the "distance" it has from XP gives me a chance to play with new ideas without old cruft. Plus, high-res icons have a proper place in an OS that supports them properly :)

Well, if you put it that way, maybe I can scrounge up enough to get Windows Vista Premium :whistle: :laugh: !

Scirwode

I HAVE Vista Home Premium and occasionally get it up and running these days but I find that I prefer XP more than anything. Vista is nice but it doesn't have practically any customization support. Firefox looks funky and not enough software is supported which creates problems with my own skin making stuffs and music organization and all. It's all completely superficial and all and for the most part, Vista is a gigantic improvement on XP but until theme support is created and things that I use on XP are stable on Vista, I won't bother spending too much time on Vista. Maybe. I change my OS so frequently these days that it is hard to tell.

Ubuntu is great but it is VERY unstable for me. Some people say that Feisty is faster and more stable than Edgy but I actually see a decrease in performance. I do love Ubuntu though. It just doesn't work for me.

'Sides, XP is just fine. You should add Ooo support just for the heck of it, Vert. I look forward to seeing the last version of the Tango Patcher :)

In case anyone is wondering, I am almost done with the Tango Thunderbird skin (I keep saying that but I really mean it this time) but I'm trying to figure out how to implement native colors and tabs and all. So far, the tabs and colors (and horrible blue gloss in the prefs window) are all seperate images similar to the ones in Firefox and enough people wanted those to be native to the theme and OS they were using. I'm trying to figure out how to get that done and also get rid of the horrible blue gloss thing without borking everytihng else. Plus I am being incredibly lazy. If I ever do get that done, I'll work on fixing the sizing in my Tango Forecast fox theme and update the three Firefox skins. Right. I'm really going to try and do all this without slacking off!

I have Vista 64 Ultimate sitting in my draw, I'll break it out when we see Vista SP1 or when I absolutely have to have DX10 for my games.