[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

You know I'm referring to the orange diamond, right?

o__O

Yes, that's the icon that Vertigosity chose to use for the program group folder. It varies for different sets. The Industrial program group icon, for example, is different.

It doesn't really have the ability to add another iconset as such, but look at the CHM documentation for "resource overloading" - that'll make it fairly simple to use KDE4's iconset for personal use, and it should also be fairly simple to make a wrapper-installer if you want to redistribute it. I'm thinking about making the source code available in the next release, but I haven't finalized that yet.

That would be great! I'd love to switch the folder icons to that of gTango. I might have to have a closer look at that. :)

8.06 is out. Changes:

• Split the applications portion out into a separate patcher, since it'll work just fine on Vista, and even X64 (providing you haven't gone and found special 64-bit versions of things).
  • Replaced my crappy WiMP icon with the icon from Totem
  • Replace my crappy Winamp icon with xTom's
  • Add comctl32.dll locations for SP3
  • Finally work around the multiple-notepad.exe business using the code I put in place for that very kind of problem (comctl32.dll).
  • Optionally extract source code to the patcher directory; I'd like to be more transparent and open-source tbh, and if XPero has XIS publicly available, I say it's fair game ;). I'd also like to be able to accept patches for third-party app support, as I pretty much let that languish, and there are people around who would be willing to help with that.
  • Added /bootsplash=(0|1) command-line parameter. 1 is on, 0 is off
  • Check for Vista. Don't run on it.

Migration from previous releases integrated with the system patcher is handled automatically. You will need to upgrade the system patcher to 8.06, but you can do them one after the other without rebooting, and in either order.

As always, link in first post.

Edited by vertigosity

8.06 is out.

As always, link in first post.

Thank you, I was getting so tired with XPs default mash-up of styles. It's nice to have it back.

Only a small thing, and I may have missed this before, but quartz.dll isn't patched. I'm still seeing the original icons.

Edited by Zsantz

Hey vertigosity why did you change the version number to "8.06"?

For a minute I almost thought it was an update for the Vista patcher.

Nah, that'd be "Tango Patcher 6000" - I just use a very Ubuntu-ish Y.MM "versioning" scheme, as versioning the patcher against the current release of the Tango Icon set was getting tedious (0.8.7r1, 0.8.7r2, 0.8.7r3, and so on...), and switching to Gnome numbering would be even weirder for it.
Thank you, I was getting so tired with XPs default mash-up of styles. It's nice to have it back.

Only a small thing, and I may have missed this before, but quartz.dll isn't patched. I'm still seeing the original icons.

Yeah, it's never been. I seem to remember it being one of the "do with caution if it all" DLLs from old-school XPize, but Inexperience plays with it, so it might be safe to mod...

Nah, that'd be "Tango Patcher 6000" - I just use a very Ubuntu-ish Y.MM "versioning" scheme, as versioning the patcher against the current release of the Tango Icon set was getting tedious (0.8.7r1, 0.8.7r2, 0.8.7r3, and so on...), and switching to Gnome numbering would be even weirder for it.Yeah, it's never been. I seem to remember it being one of the "do with caution if it all" DLLs from old-school XPize, but Inexperience plays with it, so it might be safe to mod...

Well, I can try it myself, or...

to be safe, I can change the icon associations. Hmmm. I think I'd rather do that.

Great work with 8.06 Vertigosity

Just thought I'd point out a problem I'm having with the patcher (I think I may have had it before 8.06 too), with control panel icons.

I'm using the Gnome 2.0 theme, with XP SP2, and the following highlighted icons don't appear to be changed:

- bluetooth

- mail

- network setup wizard

- scheduled tasks

- speech

- wireless network setup wizard

It could just be that you haven't replaced the resources for them, but I'm sure there are Tango equivalent versions of those icons available.

post-39050-1213743600_thumb.jpg

Great work with 8.06 Vertigosity

Just thought I'd point out a problem I'm having with the patcher (I think I may have had it before 8.06 too), with control panel icons.

I'm using the Gnome 2.0 theme, with XP SP2, and the following highlighted icons don't appear to be changed:

- bluetooth

- mail

- network setup wizard

- scheduled tasks

- speech

- wireless network setup wizard

It could just be that you haven't replaced the resources for them, but I'm sure there are Tango equivalent versions of those icons available.

It's also the case with java. It's not the nicer coffee cup.

Updated on my notebook.

It's interesting that you've now split the patcher into two parts, one especially for applications. Does this mean that you'll be adding other applications that have the Tango icon equivalent? I know SakuraKira did a few Adobe icons which certainly fit into the Tango desktop.

Oh, and I agree with moglenstar, if you are replacing those icons, replace the Bluetooth icon as it's horrendous :rofl: . The rest I can live with it as I don't use them, but Bluetooth is always on as I use it as my pointer and pairing it with my phone. You could use this icon?

Scirwode

Updated on my notebook.

It's interesting that you've now split the patcher into two parts, one especially for applications. Does this mean that you'll be adding other applications that have the Tango icon equivalent? I know SakuraKira did a few Adobe icons which certainly fit into the Tango desktop.

Oh, and I agree with moglenstar, if you are replacing those icons, replace the Bluetooth icon as it's horrendous :rofl: . The rest I can live with it as I don't use them, but Bluetooth is always on as I use it as my pointer and pairing it with my phone. You could use this icon?

Scirwode

That's the idea - the app patcher ought to be updated more frequently, and (although I honestly haven't had time to test it, there's bound to be some issues with UAC) it should work on 64-bit and/or Vista. But yeah, the app patcher is going to have more no-SVG artwork covering more stuff, at least eventually. Of course, eventually, I'm going to convert all three patchers into modules for a unified thing :p

What DLL / index is the bluetooth thing? I think I already have SUSE's bluetooth icon in, but I can't even begin to guess where it needs to go...

+87

I tried to hack my bluetooth Icon before and was unsuccessful though. Some parts of reshacking I dont understand yet...

Keep up the good work, although I am still using 7.05 as I don't like the changes to the programs menu.

Keep up the good work, although I am still using 7.05 as I don't like the changes to the programs menu.

That's not much of a problem anymore, as it's not longer a horrid orange "binary program" icon.. in Gnome 2.0, atleast..

tangoprogramslc3.png

That's not much of a problem anymore, as it's not longer a horrid orange "binary program" icon.. in Gnome 2.0, atleast..

tangoprogramslc3.png

yes it`s in Gnome only

Looks nice but for some reason it slows my boot up times :(

does it function without the reloader in the startup?