[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

It's been a while since this thread is active. That said, anyone know of a good Gnome 7-Zip theme, I had one before but I lost it. I'm using this icon for the moment which is really good, just wish it had a nice theme to it.

Scirwode

I might have a go at it... I've been wanting to get back into Tango-izing things, switched to 7-zip recently, and every time I try working on pySTTP7000 I keep getting bogged down in my ****ty pseudocode then give up and play something. Accept no promises, of course.

I might have a go at it... I've been wanting to get back into Tango-izing things, switched to 7-zip recently, and every time I try working on pySTTP7000 I keep getting bogged down in my ****ty pseudocode then give up and play something. Accept no promises, of course.

No problem, we all have our daily lives :p . And are you working on a patcher for Windows 7? If so, that's marvelous :D !

Scirwode

Edited by Scirwode

No problem, we all have our daily lives :p . And are you working on a patcher for Windows 7? If so, that's marvelous :D !

Scirwode

Well, it's just a matter of tweaking the definitions. 8.03 functions ("works" is a bit of a stretch) out-of-the-deviantart-box, at least on 32 bit. At least theoretically, most of the effort should work both ways with Vista, but I haven't played with it too much aside from loading it on my laptop and saying "Hey, this feels faster."

post-52710-1233904505_thumb.png

Well, at least a few icons are changed :laugh: .

Scirwode

Guys I re-installed this and my boot time has roughly doubled in time (from ~10 secs to ~21 secs) any idea on how to fix this?

Guys I re-installed this and my boot time has roughly doubled in time (from ~10 secs to ~21 secs) any idea on how to fix this?
Give it a few reboots to get your prefetch cache regenerated, and defrag - or whatever voodoo you might do after doing something like installing a service pack.

I apologise, will not prompt, where it is possible to find and download the fullest set of icons of the Tango? It is possible in a format ICO or PNG. But so that there were no repetitions/duplicates.

Give it a few reboots to get your prefetch cache regenerated, and defrag - or whatever voodoo you might do after doing something like installing a service pack.

I did all the above and the times have not improved.

vertigosity, PLEASE don't let this project die! even if you take a while to work on it, that's not a big deal... as long as you don't walk away completely!

tango patcher is, and has been ever since i first came across it, one of the most important post-install things i do on every computer i've installed windows onto (100s)

it's a such a great project! :D

ever considered opening this up to the public, or a small team, to help speed development? i'm absolutely sure there'd be interest from quite a few people

ever considered opening this up to the public, or a small team, to help speed development? i'm absolutely sure there'd be interest from quite a few people
I'd like to, but because of licensing issues, it's not qualified to be hosted on SourceForge, and without doing any research on project-hosting services, my brain falls through to "I'd have to host an SVN server on my DSL line," which I doubt AT&T would approve of.
This would be great if only the project was alive again to include support for Vista and Windows 7...
The "build 6000" variant does support Vista, and Seven by pure coincidence. Of course, that project's been kinda dead too...

The "build 6000" variant does support Vista, and Seven by pure coincidence. Of course, that project's been kinda dead too...

Any chance of making it "undead"? No harm in a couple of zombies, who doesn't like zombies anyway :p ?

Any chance of making it "undead"? No harm in a couple of zombies, who doesn't like zombies anyway :p ?

I have done personally some additional tango tweaks to my XP system, and also to a bunch of apps (some from scratch, some are updated skins/themes) but I have hard time to share this as we need a CENTER and not bunch of individual projects that will be run by individuals.

This is FoxIt PDF reader:

9sdvye.png

PS. I plan to stick to XP for at least two years (I hope that the my next laptop will be xp friendly too)

Edited by 8666

I have done personally some additional tango tweaks to my XP system, and also to a bunch of apps (some from scratch, some are updated skins/themes) but I have hard time to share this as we need a CENTER and not bunch of individual projects that will be run by individuals.

This is FoxIt PDF reader:

9sdvye.png

PS. I plan to stick to XP for at least two years (I hope that the my next laptop will be xp friendly too)

Care to share how you did this?

And the resources to do it, as well.

Care to share how you did this?

And the resources to do it, as well.

ResHacker + Tango pngs edited in Photoshop and saved as bmp.

Many Win programs use magenta as magic color (24bit bmps) for transparency but it is not Tango friendly as Tango icons use Transparency and shadows. So I put gray background (the one that is from my skin) to get full quality icons...but it will not look good with other visual theme. The easiest thing that I can do is give you the pngs (save you on searches) and then you manually apply background replacing the magenta and manually put them in the exe.

Also it requires to do the same for disabled icons. What I do not like is that some Tango icons are already grayscale so I used a lighter / more transparent version to achieve a distinction.

PS. Not all buttons are skinnable in Foxit Reader.

Any other common application that can be skinned this way? Almost all regualar apps are now Tango in my PC (except Corel / Adobe stuff)..even the open icon in OpenOffice is now blue:)

I plan to do this for MS Virtual PC. But it will take some time as it use transparency from additional bitmap..lot of boring work to do.

Oh and there is newer version of the XnView Tango Toolbar at my site: Deviant

ResHacker + Tango pngs edited in Photoshop and saved as bmp.

Many Win programs use magenta as magic color (24bit bmps) for transparency but it is not Tango friendly as Tango icons use Transparency and shadows. So I put gray background (the one that is from my skin) to get full quality icons...but it will not look good with other visual theme. The easiest thing that I can do is give you the pngs (save you on searches) and then you manually apply background replacing the magenta and manually put them in the exe.

Also it requires to do the same for disabled icons. What I do not like is that some Tango icons are already grayscale so I used a lighter / more transparent version to achieve a distinction.

PS. Not all buttons are skinnable in Foxit Reader.

Any other common application that can be skinned this way? Almost all regualar apps are now Tango in my PC (except Corel / Adobe stuff)..even the open icon in OpenOffice is now blue:)

I plan to do this for MS Virtual PC. But it will take some time as it use transparency from additional bitmap..lot of boring work to do.

Oh and there is newer version of the XnView Tango Toolbar at my site: Deviant

Ever thought of doing it with the Tangerine-flavoured icons? They'd look a lot nicer IMHO - the ones you have now seem so... cold? :p

Still no answer to my boot speed question? I posted to say the given advice didn't work :(

Still no answer to my boot speed question? I posted to say the given advice didn't work :(
Well... there aren't any known reasons for STTP causing poor boot speed, so outside of those suggestions, I got nothin'.

Miranda IM with Tango icons

That is the official post. You can reply here too. I work on it as promised :)

Lot of Tango projects lately.

PS. I do not plan to make Tangerine version of Foxit Reader but the rotate icons wi be orange as the Windows Image and Fax viewer. Also they are now orange in my second XnView theme. Cheers!!!

PPS If someone is actively collecting non official Tango icons, contact me!

• 2 weeks later...

Is someone reading this or it's just me lately visiting this?

I wanted to say that I was irritated by the font icon for fonts. It all looks good in the fons folder where 48px icons are not used but in normal folder .ttf file will have blurry icon. I found out that fonts have their own icon handler that can make a difference between open type and true type file (both are .ttf as I know) but the icon handler does not work good for 48px icons when needed. So I removed it and associated my own icons, now everything is better.

I also created an icon for raster .fon files and that helps too. Hope this is a help for someone.

I was wondering if somone knows a good icon handler. A good idea will be and icon handler that takes the default icon and then put a small label with the file extension on it? Like in some 3th party explorer replacements.

Will publish a small upgrade for the xp tango patcher (my own) that tangofy some more stuff here and there

Cheers :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I feel silly asking this, but where were all the Tangerine icons obtained from?

I've looked everywhere, but can't find them - only the default Tango ones :/

And then I found a DEB package, but (1) most of them didn't open (on XP), and (2) the ones that did work seem to be a darkish burnt orange (not the nice bright orange in Tango Patcher)

Anyone?