[release] Windows Server 2003 - XP Conversion Pack

Well it just irks me a bit whenever "home users" talk about posessing a "legal version of Windows Server 2003 Corporate" or "Windows XP Corp". That's the original name the first Windows XP warez release (Devilsown, with the product key starting by FCKGW-RHQQ2-..., if I am not mistaken) was bearing.

I mean, if you run warez and haven't paid, at least don't try to pull off like it's legal. It ain't.

Ciboire...

So tweaking some code just to see "Windows XP" getting displayed is warez?

What about those with that 180-day trial (y'know, as in "no-vlk") license? Oh right, it WON'T be the same damn OS if the displayed name change. It makes me chuckle when I see someone putting the legality of some piece of software when that person probably isn't 100% clean him/herself. Nobody is, plain and simple. And now, just because someone whines about it (with, let's be brutally honest on this one here, the SOLE INTENT of stirring up s*** (see trolling, something I'm admitedly quite an adept at)), the software loses a feature that may be dependable for some functionalities (ie: ATI capture drivers on AIW cards seemingly rely on OS identification for God-knows-what reason to determine if they work or not).

TweakNT didn't get the s*** it got because it allowed "pesudo-conversion" between Workstation and Server versions; it was due to its timebomb-removing functions. This program does NOT remove any timebomb of any sorts, nor does it allow to bypass any anti-piracy system Microsoft made. The choice to bypass those is completely dependant on the user's intention, and will, or will not be done with tools other than this one.

Therefore, Windows X, I suggest you reconsider you decision. Or maybe, just not to tick off any side, you could release two versions of your program: one like it was before (OS ID conversion enabled, uncompatible with VLK versions), and this one (OS ID conversion disabled, works with VLK).

Oh, and to those holier-than-thou self-proclaimed policemen who interpret legal aspects as they please (which, in my view, is hypocritical, as it is to blatantly confuse completely user-dependant choices such as bypassing security and a program that isn't designed for that, nor that does have any features to do so), there are a lot bigger fish to fry than this program. You see, "representing a legal entity" doesn't necessarly means good, just and fair, as your rebuttals can easily be likened to RIAA and MPAA's (which means "trigger-easy, casualties numbers are just details).

(If this grants me warning points, so be it... my point is made, at least).

Edited by Adequate

Ciboire...

So tweaking some code just to see "Windows XP" getting displayed is warez?

What about those with that 180-day trial (y'know, as in "no-vlk") license? Oh right, it WON'T be the same damn OS if the displayed name change. It makes me chuckle when I see someone putting the legality of some piece of software when that person probably isn't 100% clean him/herself. Nobody is, plain and simple. And now, just because someone whines about it (with, let's be brutally honest on this one here, the SOLE INTENT of stirring up s*** (see trolling, something I'm admitedly quite an adept at)), the software loses a feature that may be dependable for some functionalities (ie: ATI capture drivers on AIW cards seemingly rely on OS identification for God-knows-what reason to determine if they work or not).

TweakNT didn't get the s*** it got because it allowed "pesudo-conversion" between Workstation and Server versions; it was due to its timebomb-removing functions. This program does NOT remove any timebomb of any sorts, nor does it allow to bypass any anti-piracy system Microsoft made. The choice to bypass those is completely dependant on the user's intention, and will, or will not be done with tools other than this one.

Therefore, Windows X, I suggest you reconsider you decision. Or maybe, just not to tick off any side, you could release two versions of your program: one like it was before (OS ID conversion enabled, uncompatible with VLK versions), and this one (OS ID conversion disabled, works with VLK).

Oh, and to those holier-than-thou self-proclaimed policemen who interpret legal aspects as they please (which, in my view, is hypocritical, as it is to blatantly confuse completely user-dependant choices such as bypassing security and a program that isn't designed for that, nor that does have any features to do so), there are a lot bigger fish to fry than this program. You see, "representing a legal entity" doesn't necessarly means good, just and fair, as your rebuttals can easily be likened to RIAA and MPAA's (which means "trigger-easy, casualties numbers are just details).

(If this grants me warning points, so be it... my point is made, at least).

(Y) nice post

well, I have to do this since the situation has gone to serious legal issues. But when it's cleared and ppl want it comes back, I'll bring it back since I still have codes.

*shrugs* It's been a while since I heard anyone say "ciboire" for some reason.

My point, if you read again, was not to whine about the legality of this thing. At all.

Was just to prevent people from using "Corporate edition" and "legal" in the same sentence. I don't give two sh*ts if you run that cracked version of WinXP or Windows Server 2003. But don't try to pretend it's legal when it is everything but legal. That's all.

Do I run a legal version of Windows XP? No.

Because I don't run Windows. And when I do, (because I, once in a blue moon, play half-life) it's a greay area of not really but kinda but not legal. I run an OEM copy. And it did not come with my computer, it came with another one. That's me silently protesting about the stupidity of the "non transferable" clause of an OEM copy. Sue me :)

Was just to prevent people from using "Corporate edition" and "legal" in the same sentence. I don't give two sh*ts if you run that cracked version of WinXP or Windows Server 2003. But don't try to pretend it's legal when it is everything but legal. That's all.

Not everyone who runs 2003 'Corporate' is using it illegaly. As you pointed out - there are either consumer versions, or VLK (No Activation) copies. The use of corporate is used in terms of understanding, not in terms of 'A downloaded corporate or gold edition'.

I use corporate and vlk interchangeably depending on who I am talking too.

And yes - I can legitmately run win2k3 server 'corporate' as its covered under a VLK Agreement with MS$ as long as the system it is going onto has a windows license regardless of the version.

I just made a choice not to after trying it for a bit as I was pushed for time, and was having driver problems - even with compatibility mode etc. Particulary wireless as I run a laptop. I reached the point where I had said I would image back to xp for work the next day and did so.

Some time when I am not pushed for time and needing the laptop day in day out I will look at this again.

Oh, and yes - you are right about what the key was starting with - at least the first 5 letters at least.

Dude, now I removed OS conversion feature now so it doesn't matter what 2003 are you using. They're all works fine and you'll have keeping your OS legal as you wish.

Dude, now I removed OS conversion feature now so it doesn't matter what 2003 are you using. They're all works fine and you'll have keeping your OS legal as you wish.
Is that directed at me? If so - legality wasn't a question - it was a matter of a driver conflict - Intel WiFi not liking 2k3 and a limited timeframe to get it operational. That time passed so I imaged it back to prior win2k3 installation using ghost as I needed it operational the next day and it was getting late.

• 2 weeks later...

Err sorry to drag this up, but I'm having trouble with my standard edition R2 release, its dosnt seem to be working at all. I'm not sre why but the Optimize tool works ok. :wacko:

Edit: The only thing I cant do is take away the crt alt delete requirment.

Edited by madnuke

Err sorry to drag this up, but I'm having trouble with my standard edition R2 release, its dosnt seem to be working at all. I'm not sre why but the Optimize tool works ok. :wacko:

Edit: The only thing I cant do is take away the crt alt delete requirment.

You need to apply real OS Conversion but latest release removed it. Get NTSwitch or something for that.

hi,

Windows X how to remove this icone on my startmenu ?

this icone was added after the pack apply

grr0ym.jpg

:blush: sorry for my english

That icon will appear when it sees your OS as Windows XP. I think you can remove it in start menu options.

That icon will appear when it sees your OS as Windows XP. I think you can remove it in start menu options.

i try, i run win2k3 r2, that setting dont appear in my start menu option

You need to apply real OS Conversion but latest release removed it. Get NTSwitch or something for that.

Ah thanks, will you perhaps release a update for your programe as its really good or is it a legal thing?

NTSwitch will break OS legal but app itself is not illegal.

I got it working now on your one, forgot to tick the box in user accounts :blush:

Your not changing the product type, you are just changing the OS identifier number. When you validate it still shows up as Windows Server 2003 and when you try to install the RAW Imager Previewer and PhotoStory it still gives the error that you can only install this on Windows XP. You can use Orca, like I did, to change the RAW Image Previewer Powertoy so that it does install on Windows Server 2003

I tried it and it worked just perfect, that's until i tried to install the "digital persona" software for my "wireless intellimouse with fingerprint reader" and it wouldn't install. So i downloaded a program to edit the setup.msi file to edit the OS validation and didn't know exactly where to find the line for verification so I just switched back to using Server 2k3 as a workstation.

Anyone know if Logitech MouseWare 9.80 works after applying this conversion? I read on Logitech's site that the drivers will cause the OS to stop functioning normally if installed. I'm guessing it won't work (but hoping otherwise) because it says to uninstall the drivers before upgrading to Server 2k3, so maybe it's a conflict with the kernel or something...

Thanks in advance,

-Naklajat

thnkx for the reply, i do that but when it reboots after instalaction the only resoluction and color is 640 and 4 bits, if i select a better one it always return to 4 bits color. tried many drivers, only with the microsoft ones that is instaled by default give me 16/32bits colors