Creator of AltaVista search engine dies

SAN FRANCISCO - Paul A. Flaherty, a computer engineer who helped create the pioneering AltaVista online search engine, has died. He was 42.

Flaherty died March 16 of a heart attack at his home in Belmont, about 20 miles south of San Francisco, family members said Friday.

Flaherty came up with the idea of indexing Web pages that made the AltaVista search engine one of the most popular Internet search tools in the mid-1990s.

Flaherty was working as a research engineer at Digital Equipment Corp. in Palo Alto when he teamed up with two other staff researchers in 1995 to develop AltaVista's technology.

The Web site was made public in December 1995 and within weeks was processing several million searches a day. It was spun off from Digital Equipment as a private company in 1999.

Flaherty served as director for technical strategy at AltaVista until leaving in 2000 to work in management consulting. At the time of his death, he was vice president for product development at TalkPlus, a telecommunications software company in Menlo Park.

source

thats sad, what did he die of.

also the source says he came up with the idea of indexing pages, so was altervista the first search engin

From the original post --> died March 16 of a heart attack

It wasn't the first, but it was the first for the invention of indexing the pages.

poor fellow must have died because of google.

ROFL. This is SOOO innapropriate to laugh at one's death.... but that made me laugh hard, silently.

shocked after learning google's stock keeps on rising?

Every once in a while I see like 5 or 6 people in the paper or w/e that die in their 20s,30s,40s, across a couple of months. Anyways, seems like such an early age to die...Oh well there's a reason for everything....

R.I.P :cry:

True, but insensitivity isn't something to show at times like these, eh?

Being insensitive is about as bad as acting like you knew the guy and are truly shaken by his death. It's all ignorant and pathetic.

Being insensitive is about as bad as acting like you knew the guy and are truly shaken by his death. It's all ignorant and pathetic.

Yes. Some random person died. Boo hoo. Move on.

Actually, I used LookSmart extensively before google came along. Anyway, yeah, that's a young age to die. Most likely I'll die of a heart attack simply because almost everybody in my family has.

se la vie.

While none of us knew this man, and while humans do indeed die, it is still disrespectful to a man that did quite a bit for every one of us to joke of or make light of his death.

He deserves respect.

R.I.P