A remote that will work through walls?

Our family just moved into a new house, and the rooms are set up in a convenient (maybe concindental) way, where a hollow closet in the study room sits directly behind the wall where our TV is currently situated in the family room. We currently have a big 36" Sony Trinitron, but we're thinking about upgrading to a 50" flat-screen plasma.

My mom brought up an interesting plan for buying this new plasma TV. She said she wants to create a setup where the plasma TV is mounted on the wall and all the equipment (DVD player, digital cable box, VCR) are all kept in that closet in the study room. The cables would easily pass through the wall to the TV, but the equipment would be out of view.

I think it's a great idea, but I see a problem with it. With our currently digital cable box, I must point the remote directly at the box in order for the box to respond. If I have such difficulty in getting the box to respond even now, there's no way it will work through a wall. The same goes for my DVD Player and VCR - the signal won't reach through a wall.

That said, is there a remote that will broadcast a signal strong enough to pass through a wall, and will it work with my existing equipment? I have a Motorola Comcast Digital Cable box, a JVC DVD Player, and a Panasonic VCR.

Thanks for your help in advance.

- Sheil

I'm pretty sure that in the UK at least, there is a system you can buy that works like a video sender but for remotes.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1051384443429

You can't pass an infrared beam through a wall. You simply aim your remote at the transmitter on that device and it uses, I believe, a 900mHz signal to wirelessly transmit it to the receiver which sits in front of your components and sends the exact same signal to them.

*probably the most ass bakwards explanation ever

I'm pretty sure that in the UK at least, there is a system you can buy that works like a video sender but for remotes.

What does "video sender" mean exactly?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1051384443429

You can't pass an infrared beam through a wall. You simply aim your remote at the transmitter on that device and it uses, I believe, a 900mHz signal to wirelessly transmit it to the receiver which sits in front of your components and sends the exact same signal to them.

*probably the most ass bakwards explanation ever

Hey, this is pretty cool! Thanks a lot...this is exactly what I need!

Here's my suggestion. Logitech Harmony 890 Universal Remote

Yes, it's $400, but it's probably the best universal remote you can buy and it uses RF, so it'll work through walls and such. The remote uses RF to communicate with a receiver which then sends the appropriate IR signals to your devices.

The only drawback I see with any of these solutions is that the receiver will need line-of-sight to all your components. If everything is in a closet and the units are stacked vertically on different shelves, that may be a problem.

If you want to go through walls you will defintely have to get an RF remote. Or you can get an IR repeater but that is a pretty custom job.

Check out Home Theater Master Remotes. They have a good full range of diffrent types of universal remotes. Very customizable. Add their RF externder to allow control through the walls.

Look at me. I sound like a commerical. :p

or if you paint your walls in a bright white with good reflection it's just a question of some simple high grade math and careful aiming :p

Nice :D