How to Burn to 800MB CDR

Nowdays people's hunger for space is increasing. People are not satisfied with 700MB CD-R's available in the market. So they go for 800MB CD-R. Burning to 700MB CD and 800MB CD are entirely different tasks.

I will tell you how to burn to 800MB CD-R successfully using Nero 6.6.013

Requirements:

1. A branded 800MB CD-R preferrably Amkette.

2. A writer supporting Overburning. To check whether this feature is supported by your writer go to Recorder Menu and then select Choose Recorder. Now Select your recorder and in the bottom you should look for this on the screen.

Overburn: Supported

3. You need to have the latest firmware for your recorder model, as it will contain information to enable overburning. Most importantly, it will contain read/write strategies for new brands of CD-R and CD-RW media and can resolve many issues you may otherwise run into.

Steps to do:

1. Go to File>>Preferences>>Expert Features and check the box:Enable Disc-at-once CD overburning and set Maximum CD Size as according to given specifications:

For 80 min media set to 82:00

For 90 min media set to 89:30

For 99 min media set to 99:54:74

and now click OK.

2. Now select File>>New and select No Multisession

3. Click on ISO and set Data Mode to Mode 2/XA

Note for here:

Any CD blank with a size over than 80 minutes (about 700 MB) should be recognized as a size-80 minutes CD due to ISO restrictions. This is absolutely normal. As a result, you could never write a multisession CD using more-than-90-minutes CD blank. If you will try to create multisession on such CD, you should be limited with size-80 minutes (or size-700 MB). As an enother result, you should use overburning option to write CD's with capacity of over than 80 minutes.

4. Select Burn and check Write Method: Disc-at-once or Disc-at-once/96. Do not load any application during 90-minutes CD burning and decrease burning speed to 12x to avoid buffer overrun.

Hope you will now be comfortable using 800MB CD-R's but don't overburn regularly. It can sometimes damage your Writer permanently also. Their are several complaints regarding this.

P.S. Writer does not claim responsibility of the success of the above method in every case. I will not be held responsible in case you damage some of your hardware or software while doing this.

Good tips, but nowadays you would just burn to a DVD-R... 4300MB. DVD-R blanks cost about the same as a CD-R, and 800mb CD ISOs can be burnt to DVD-R without a problem too.

yea the "burn to dvd-r" is a good idea but the overburn idea is better because some people might not have a dvd burner

and plus ive already burnt a cd-rw that can holds 1.75 gb to a cd alerady with the overburn technique

DVD-R blanks cost about the same as a CD-R, and 800mb CD ISOs can be burnt to DVD-R without a problem too.

Really? Point me a store that sells DVD-R for 20 cents. I have yet to see...

and a CD ISO and a DVD ISO are completely different standards and are not compatible. This guide is mainly for data only. Plus its rather pointless too because Nero 7 (and I suppose Roxio's burning app) automatically detects that you are burning a project over 700MB and will scan the media inserted to see if its a 800 or 900MB disc and enable OverBurn for the drive and burn it as normal.

and plus ive already burnt a cd-rw that can holds 1.75 gb to a cd alerady with the overburn technique

False.

Mainly because OverBurn CD-RW AFAIK dont exist because no site has ever mentioned them and they are rather unstable for OverBurn.

You problably downloaded/ripped illegally a game/VCD which's ISO was over 700mb but burnt perfectly to a disc. That extra info is just some "1010101" crap that takes up space to mainly combat privacy and other useless stuff but Nero ignores it and burns the disc perfectly anyhow.

1.75GB on a CD is only possible when you make duplicate files appear just once in a CD. But such CDs are bad for health of PC and mostly are illegal. So don't fall for trap CDs showing 1.75GB in a 700MB Disc!

BTW you are right rIaHc3.. even in India CDrs are lot cheaper than DVD-Rs.!

Well in Australia, a 100x spindle of Ridata DVD-Rs is $25AUD (25c each) and a 100x spindle of 700MB Ridata CD-Rs is $18.50 (18.5c each) from the swap meet. Not a lot of difference, and the extra 6.5c is worth it for the added reliability (and flexability of burning up to 4.3GB), you'ld probably burn a few coasters before getting this method right.

The ISO 9660 filesystem is used for CD-Rs. ISO 9660 is also fully compatible with DVD-Rs, even though the UDF filesystem is more popular for DVDs.

I have personally burnt ISO 9660 with El Torito ISOs (Bootable CDs) to DVD-RW and it has booted and read perfectly (The software in question was my Unattended Windows XP CD, which was first ripped from the original Windows XP CD before adding the winnt.sif).

Reasons why you would want to burn an 800MB CD-R are if you are burning a CD for someone that might not have a DVD-ROM drive, you are burning system utilities that need to better compatiblity with all PCs that you need it for (your friends/clients might not all have DVD ROM drives) or you are burning it for a CD/MP3 player in your car or stereo (which would not be able to read DVD-Rs)

• 2 weeks later...

^ I'd like to know if this is possible as well. Have a lot of movies on my HD that are above 700 MB, and therefore I can't burn them to a disc.

1.75GB on a CD is only possible when you make duplicate files appear just once in a CD. But such CDs are bad for health of PC and mostly are illegal. So don't fall for trap CDs showing 1.75GB in a 700MB Disc!

BTW you are right rIaHc3.. even in India CDrs are lot cheaper than DVD-Rs.!

Sony CD-R costs Rs 20

Sony DVD-R costs Rs 60

Not much considering you get more than 6x of storage.

At Staples stores and my Wal-mart, when the time is right I usually can get a 50pk spindle of DVD-R's and CD-R's for 8 bucks each (memorex).

Moserbaer are much reliable and cheaper. Both CD and DVD's made by them are relatively cheaper if you buy them in large quantities ( say 50 ).

50 CD's costs you $8.33 === storage 35000MB's

20 DVD's costs you $8.88 ==== storage 86016MB's

So if you do the math DVD's are cheaper provided you have a DVD-RW.

MoserBaer's products are good, but for some reason they have stopped working on my drive, especially the CD-R's. They have an almost 90% failure rate.

@Gaurav - Sony CD-R's cost me Rs. 10 each, quite cheap.