sound blaster audigy 2 zs vs. x-fi extreme music

Hi, I want to upgrade my sound card. I game a lot and not too picky about the sounds in games but I'm picky about the music I listen to. I have a 110 watt 2.1 acoustic authority speaker system which isn't that bad at all. I recently upgraded from realtek onboard audio to the sb Audigy 2 zs and I haven't really noticed that much of a difference from the onboard stuff. Will it be worthwile to purchase a sb x-fi extreme music and will I notice much of a difference when I listen to mp3 music on my computer? Thanks.

There's definitely a difference between the Audigy and X-Fi series, but nothing that will make you go "oh my god". The new Crystallizer feature will make some of your lower bitrate songs sound nicely too (useless for higher quality). Even though the Extreme Music is pretty cheap now, I'd suggest upgrading your speakers since that could very well be the factor in the lack of improvement over the onboard.

Onboard -> Audigy 2ZS or X-Fi = Big difference

Audigy 2ZS -> X-Fi = Slightly more defined low background sounds, slightly sharper, few extra features, etc.

i was truely impressed w/ the Crystalizer... it's like lifting a sheet off your speakers. some people dont care about it so much... i upgraded from a 7 yr old SB Live! Value card though

if you can get the X-Fi for well under MSRP then i would get it. otherwise wait a while.

I spent like 250 bucks on my Audigy 2 like 3 years ago... and I can only use the orginal drivers that came with the disk or else I get clicks and crackels in the sound when pressing or holding keys down.... Ill never get an SB product again... if you talk to real music enthusiast they will all say they're are crap.

I got a buddy with a studio and he laughs at me and my SB :(

i was truely impressed w/ the Crystalizer... it's like lifting a sheet off your speakers. some people dont care about it so much... i upgraded from a 7 yr old SB Live! Value card though

if you can get the X-Fi for well under MSRP then i would get it. otherwise wait a while.

So what would he get?

If u also want better sound.. u should get a better set of speakers.. Sure the 2.1's are ok.. but you'll notice alot more if u go with say 5.1 or 7.1 speaker systems.

The X-FI is definitely the better card in this comparison, though if you do not have 5.1 speakers or a very good set of 2.1 speakers, you won't notice that much of a difference. I notice a big difference when gaming with the X-FI. Playing music, the X-FI sounds better, though not like your hearing a 7.1 setup.

I spent like 250 bucks on my Audigy 2 like 3 years ago... and I can only use the orginal drivers that came with the disk or else I get clicks and crackels in the sound when pressing or holding keys down.... Ill never get an SB product again... if you talk to real music enthusiast they will all say they're are crap.

I got a buddy with a studio and he laughs at me and my SB :(

That use to happen to me, but i found rebooting normaly made it go away, to test I use to just boot windows, open Notepad and hold a key down....if there was a click id reboot and it would normaly be fine....

That use to happen on my nForce2 setup though (same Audigy2), but it hasnt happened with my nForce4 setup...

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'll invest in a nice 7.1 or 5.1 speaker system first then maybe get the X-Fi. The selling point for me when listening to music is the wall shattering bass but I'll read some reviews on surround sound speakers first before deciding which to buy.

Edited by terminatorgt

im talking about either. i would recommend paying the extra money for the X-Fi. it's better b/c it has the crystallizer, it's faster than the audigy 2, might give better fps in games, also has EAX5.0 (although no games really use it yet) and games like BF2 and Quake 4 can detect and use the card.