Can Police Trace Skype Calls?

Question

16 answers to this question

Probly, if they realy wanted to. Im sure skype makes logs of ip - # called. Im sure the cops could call skype and get the information easly enough.

if your worried about police hearing it then you shouldnt be saying it, your obviously not an intelligent criminal if you discuss anything using something other then a payphone. especially skype lol

I do the prank calling too, more of an Art really never any threatening or repeat-offenders. No, the police WONT trace the call, can they? Yes, but it would take exhaustive methods to do so and frankly, they dont have the time.

yeah they would have to get the ip address involved and that usually takes a while. its not as simple as if you were to call 911 and the fire fighters were to trace the call to your house.

Yes they can. They can trace the call on the PSTN back to SkypeOut's outgoing number, then they will contact Skype to ask them for the Username/IP address that was used by that SkypeOut number at that time, and then they will trace your IP address to your ISP, then they will ask your ISP for the Name/Address of the person using that IP address at that time.

It's not as easy as tracing purely on the PSTN, and they might need to make a subpoena or get a warrant to get the information from Skype or your ISP.

Yeah i wondered that too. I called those westboro baptist church like a week ago, at 1 a.m., and one of the women answered, i hope the mom, and i asked her if she lost her cat, and she got really mad, and then i said bye. It lasted all of 15 seconds. Ill post it if anyone wants to hear it, i used a soundboard from ebaumsworld.

I dont think they will even bother, unless you are telling people you are going to kill them or something along those lines. If its the regular stuff like "Is your refrigerator running", they wouldnt even do anything at all. Just dont go about doing it at the middle of the night, even though i did it, but those people dont count, and dont do it like 100 times to the same person.

Anyways their is nothign illegal about calling someone up and talking to them. It may be a strange converstation, and as long as their is no threatening, or inappropriate things being said its not illegal, I dont think.

Actually, no they can't. Skype does log IP's but will not release them to anyone due to privacy reasons. Skype can't even be tapped. I (l) skype! However is a drug dealers dream.

Actually, no they can't. Skype does log IP's but will not release them to anyone due to privacy reasons. Skype can't even be tapped. I (l) skype! However is a drug dealers dream.

You must be joking here...

You must be joking here...

Joking about what exactly? The part where they log IP's or where they won't tell any authorities because of privacy?

Joking? Nope. Contact Skype about it, they will NOT hand over IP addresses as they are not legally required to.

The government can subpoena any information it wants if there is probable cause involved.

Skype calls are encrypted and can't be traced as far as online conversations go. There was an article on Digg about this recently.

Skype calls could be traced if you called 911 to wherever the physical location is of the Skype modem (probably not the correct term). Beyond that, if the number you called through SkypeOut had the right equipment the same would be true. The police could ask Skype for the information of the person using SkypeOut phoneline X which would lead to a Skype username. Chances are the IP address would be available and the ISP of that address would also need to be supoena'd.

If you're pranking, you are definitely not on the list for Skype or the Police to care about your call. If you are thought to have committed a felony, they might be more inclined to ask for this information.

_--boocher

Edited by boocher