The Evolution Of Mac OS X.

for evolution the image should go the other way.. from the beta to the latest version ;)

i prefer panther

Yeah. Sorry. Your quite right. It's just an image I found on the net. :whistle: :pinch:

Oh, but we can't forget Rhapsody and OS X Server 1.0

Rhapsody (Finder was called Workspace Manager here):

rhapfolderviews1bd.jpg

OS X Server 1.0 looked pretty much the same.

Haha the guy probably didn't know the codenames of 10.0 and 10.1. lol

10.0 = Cheetah, 10.1 = Puma. ;)

I think the 10.0 Cheetah Apple icon looks much nicer compared to the 10.1-10.3 ones. 10.4 Tiger naturally looks the best. :cool:

Haha the guy probably didn't know the codenames of 10.0 and 10.1. lol

10.0 = Cheetah, 10.1 = Puma. ;)

It's completely understandable, since 10.2 was the first to use the codename as part of the official title of the OS.

It's completely understandable, since 10.2 was the first to use the codename as part of the official title of the OS.

It's not that hard to Google... I'd definitely take the effort when making a pic like that. ;)

I like the panther the best - the tiger menu bar is too glossy for such an important and always visible element.

PS, remember how the apple was centered in the menu bar in the Public Beta (i dont even think it was clickable), and then apple changed it after everyone pointed out how stupid that was :laugh:

PS, remember how the apple was centered in the menu bar in the Public Beta (i dont even think it was clickable), and then apple changed it after everyone pointed out how stupid that was :laugh:

Yeah I remember, what the hell were they thinking?! :|

I read an article a while back about the Mac OS X lead designer when it was still in beta stage. At first they actually wanted to port the entire Platinum (Mac OS 9) look over. Fortunately for us they could only port about 90% over to the new OS so they decided to go with an entire new look instead.

I'm going to be honest, I'm still a fan of what we saw in Cheetah and Puma. I never used the public beta so I have no idea how the one in the center worked, but I still love 10.0 and 10.1. It was just I dunno, different, lol.

At first they actually wanted to port the entire Platinum (Mac OS 9) look over. Fortunately for us they could only port about 90% over to the new OS so they decided to go with an entire new look instead.

Yep, if you look at the picture I posted on the first page of Rhapsody, you can see how it would have looked. OS X Server 1.0 looked pretty much the same. It was sometime after that, before the release of the 10.0 public beta, that they decided to go with Aqua.

Can't imagine that the Platinum interface would be able to host all of today's Mac OS X features like Expos? and Dashboard. It might have been nice in it's days but it certainly wouldn't have made it through the first decade of the 21st century.

Can't imagine that the Platinum interface would be able to host all of today's Mac OS X features like Expos? and Dashboard. It might have been nice in it's days but it certainly wouldn't have made it through the first decade of the 21st century.

I'm sure that it would have evolved to handle new technologies. I've personally never been a huge fan of it in the first place though, it was too plain looking for me.

^Yea, Platinum was very bland looking, very sterile and just way too professional looking. Thats not to say that Aqua isn't but Platinum kinda looked like Windows Classic, very simple and almost depressing.

^Yea, Platinum was very bland looking, very sterile and just way too professional looking. Thats not to say that Aqua isn't but Platinum kinda looked like Windows Classic, very simple and almost depressing.

Platnium looked like windows 3.1. Classic was better. I bet you OSx would have near 0 market share if they went with porting platnum

Platnium looked like windows 3.1. Classic was better.

No not really. Obviously you haven't seen pre Mac OS 8 systems.

Mac OS 7.5 looks like Windows 3.11. Mac OS 8-9.2.2 is very similar to Windows 9x

Tiger and its Unified Brush theme look the best. If only Tiger used that Unified Brush theme for all applications or better still, let the user choose the styles in the System Preferences without 3rd party software, then that would have been perfect! ;) Can't wait to see Leopard!