The Evolution Of Mac OS X.

No not really. Obviously you haven't seen pre Mac OS 8 systems.

Mac OS 7.5 looks like Windows 3.11. Mac OS 8-9.2.2 is very similar to Windows 9x

System 1

system1.gif

System 2

macos4.png

System 6

system6.jpg

System 7

system7.gif

System 7.5

system75.png

System 7.6

system76.gif

Mac OS 8

macos8.png

Mac OS 8.5

macos85.gif

Mac OS 9

macos9.png

Mac OS X Public Beta

macosxpb8kr.th.png

Mac OS X Cheetah

macosx106xv.th.png

Mac OS X 10.1 Puma

macosx1013jo.th.png

Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar

macosx1028ds.th.png

Mac OS X 10.3 Panther

macosx1038ai.th.png

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

macosx1041od.th.png

There you have it, Mac OS from the start the current. Thanx to..http://iindigo3d.com/blog/?page_id=40

@ Adamb10. Great post. I for one want Apple to change the syle of the damn folders in Leopard. They are crying out for any update.

There you have it, Mac OS from the start the current. Thanx to..http://iindigo3d.com/blog/?page_id=40

What does it have to do with my post tho? It only shows what I mentioned earlier: System 7.5/7.6 looks much more like Windows 3.11 than Mac OS 8-9.2.2 do because of it's white backgrounds and simple icons.

I forgot how weird the Public Beta's Finder looked. Those gigantic buttons on top are awful. :x

I for one want Apple to change the syle of the damn folders in Leopard. They are crying out for any update.

No kidding. The entire system could need an icon overhaul IMO. But the application icons are perfect.

No kidding. The entire system could need an icon overhaul IMO. But the application icons are perfect.

Yeah new icons would be a nice little update, along with plenty of other things I can think of.

I actually think OS9 looks really kind of nice; better than Cheetah (which I think is fugly; I mean the close/min/max buttons aren't embedded; they like over above the window - grit!). Thank God OS X got better with each revision, but it'd be cool if they tried making the whole thing a sort of modern OS9...I dunno, like make the finder bar brushed metal or something.

I dunno, like make the finder bar brushed metal or something.

Having brushed all over the system is much too heavy and would make Mac OS X extremely depressing.

I hope Leopard doesn't loose it's inconsistency - I like the way that some different apps have different styles, like Mail and Safari.

I hope Leopard doesn't loose it's inconsistency - I like the way that some different apps have different styles, like Mail and Safari.

Me too.. so many people whine about this.

Yeah, the folder icons could use an update, seeing how pinstripes are dead these days! But anyway, what the heck is that web browser in Mac OS 7.6? Looks like a precursor to Firefox! :p

Sorry for being a bit offtopic, but has anyone the picture showing how XP's "new" features already appeared in OSX? It floated around the web back when XP was released.

Edited by [idkfa]

Yeah, the folder icons could use an update, seeing how pinstripes are dead these days! But anyway, what the heck is that web browser in Mac OS 7.6? Looks like a precursor to Firefox! :p

That web browser looks like iCab to me. :unsure:

Actually the usage of those different styles isn't inconsistent. Apple described for what kind of applications the different styles should be used.

Anyone want to take a guess as to whhat it will look like next?

There's not much to base anything on. :/

But if I had to guess I'd say the interface will get a, possibly massive, overhaul. Apple has to live up to expectations, especially with Windows Vista's release next year and they've hired a bunch of new interface artists too. Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger was focussed on the software developer, 10.5 Leopard will be more interesting for the end user.

Actually the usage of those different styles isn't inconsistent. Apple described for what kind of applications the different styles should be used.
Yeah, I know that - I'm just used to seeing people complain that every app seems to have it's own style compared to "the consistency of Windows". What I meant was I hope Apple don't change the different-style guidelines with Leopard.
But if I had to guess I'd say the interface will get a, possibly massive, overhaul. Apple has to live up to expectations, especially with Windows Vista's release next year and they've hired a bunch of new interface artists too. Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger was focussed on the software developer, 10.5 Leopard will be more interesting for the end user.
Animation is (apparently) going to be abundant in Leopard - about a year back, MacRumors pointed out that Apple were looking for someone who could implement animation into their software, so I assume that means Leopard.

What do you mean with "animation" as you used it in your above post? Mac OS X already is the lead system, that's not in beta stage, when it comes to system wide animations and it currently still has much more implemented than Windows Vista.