MSSTYLES vs. WindowBlinds

Originally posted by Cheese Whiz

Stardock has a disjointed, & confusing product line.

Frogboy, want to design something *useful* -- try delineating your applications; providing coherent documentation; and, most importantly, creating decent UI's for your *own* software.

I'm just thrilled that Neowin.net has cut back on its thrice-weekly front page announcements of each .0x release from Stardock.

You've never really used a Stardock product have you? I think Neowin putting Stardock announcements up and supporting the product, further disproves your statement.

Sorry for the double post :cool:

Originally posted by ryokurin

Windowblinds was around back then as well. early 97. It wasnt necessarily a stardock product however then but the creator works there now so its all good.

I remember using very early betas like beta 6 just to get gradient title bars in windows 95b to make it look like the then known as windows 97.

Really, the first time I heard about wb was in '99, that's why I assumes that it was "released" in '99, but v1.0 was i '99, right?

So that makes me partly right, doesn't it?

I hate being wrong, it's so damn depressing :D

Originally posted by mercury

Possibly because Stardock is a MS partner, and TGTSoft is not? (please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure many of you will).

lol you are wrong.

microsoft doesn't have to be partner with TGTSoft to release .msstyle theme becuase MS owns .msstyle

perhaps you are not aware what TGTSoft provide. StyleXP software allows you to run unsigned .msstyle which anybody can create.

if MS wanted they could release signed theme which would work w/o any hacks or cracks.

i think that skin was created by some fan(sponsored by Stardock?) and submited to developers who then released it.

or developers wanted to reach most audience by providing WB skin...but i doubt that becuase i'm sure MS wants everybody to upgrade to XP and kill off all other OS.

indeed, it would be nice to hear answer to Jafo's question.

did MS actually licensed WB code base and Stardock get royalties or are they saying that just becuase they made skins 1st?

• 4 weeks later...

Just to answer the question posed:

Yes. Microsoft licensed WindowBlinds to provide additional visual styles. Microsoft paid for the WindowBlinds visual styles to be created. And there are more on the way.

Nintendo also licensed WindowBlinds. nVidia has licensed WindowBlinds. eVGA ships WindowBlinds with their Geforce cards.

You can download the Microsoft Age of Mythology WindowBlinds visual style here at Microsoft.com:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/ageofmythol...t_downloads.asp