Emachines upgrade

A friend of mine just dropped off his cheapo PC for me, its an eMachines (pc worlds own brand) 210

http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=474854

He wants me to make it faster for him for for around ?100.

I was thinking take it to 1gb of ram (fromthe current 256mb) and upgrade to a none celeron CPU, possibly a slightly higher speed one, should be doable for that budget on ebay.

I figured the memory should be pretty easy, replace the stock 256 pc2100 stick with 2 x 512 pc2100 sticks, (im not sure if the board will even take 1gb sticks ? will the board benefit from faster pc3200 memory ?)

Thing is I cannot find anywhere online what cpu the motherbaord will take. I am guessing it is a socket 478 because it curently has a celeron 2.3 in it , this CPU from what i have researched online has a 400mhz fsb, so will the board take any P4 socket 478 with a 400mhz fsb ? will it also take higher FSB chips such as 533mhz or 800mhz ?

even emachiens site doesnt list this thing in the support secion:((

Any help / advice / links apreciated.

/edit I foudn this :

http://www.satech.com/memory-for-brand-nam...210-memory.html

suggests the board will take 1gb sticks and suggests pc3200 , so the board will prolly utalise pc3200:))

Just need help on the cpu now

Every single PC3200 board I ever saw supports 4GB of RAM.

The only boards that support 2GB DDR max runs at PC2100 only.

Even though they list PC3200 I DOUBT THAT it runs in PC3200.

I would try sticking a cheap Northwood P4 CPU in there and see if that works...

Thanks for the info, you are probably correct, b ut I think ile add a 1gb stick of pc3200 any way, the price is about the same, and itle just run it at pc2100 if thats all it can do, and when he upgrades to a better machine theres more chance the memory will be useful in future.

seems the only northwood 478 400mhz I can find are 2.4ghz @ ?40 or 2.8ghz @ ?90 (rare aparently)

I think ile get him a 2.4ghz P4 to replace his celeron 2.3, after all the extra L2 cache should help 512 > 128