Apple Refreshes Entire iPod Lineup

At a special event in San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Performing Arts, Apple on Tuesday introduced two iPods, which sport a 60% brighter screen, as well as a refreshed iPod nano and iPod shuffle.

Available in 30GB and 80GB models, the new iPod features increase battery life that ups video playback from 2 hours to 3.5 hours. The 80GB iPod can play video for 6.5 hours, Apple says. Other new features include gapless playback and instant searching by letter.

Apple has additionally added game support to the iPod. Users can purchase games from the iTunes Store for $4.99 USD each, and play them using the device's scroll wheel. The company has partnered with EA and others to make available titles such as Mahjong, Pac Man, Tetris, and Texas Hold 'Em.

New headphones, which Apple has been developing for 18 months, will come standard with the new iPod. The 30GB iPod is priced at $249 USD, with the 80GB version running $349 USD.

The diminutive iPod nano, meanwhile, has received a makeover that includes an aluminum body like the older iPod mini, as well as a range of colors including green, silver, blue, black and pink. Battery life on the nano has been increased to 24 hours, and the device will receive the same new software features as the larger iPod.

The new iPod nano is available now in three models: 2GB silver for $149, 4GB in any color except black for $199, and a 8GB black model for $249 USD.

Apple's screen-less iPod shuffle also was refreshed Tuesday. The second generation version is now the size of the iPod radio remote and includes a full metal body with white click wheel. The player comes with a USB 2.0 dock and features a 12 hour battery life.

The iPod shuffle will be available only in a 1GB model, which Apple says is the world's smallest MP3 player, for $79 USD. It includes headphones and will begin shipping in October.

Source

Like the look of the Shuffle the other two ehh not so special aside from the scratch proof design of the Nano I'm not digging it's look. I dig the look of the Shuffle the polished buttons on the top and the headphone dock charge port is strange, but interesting. I'm never away long enough from a laptop or desktop to need a player that has 30, 60, or 80gb of space, but the game playing/purchasing capability is cool wish my Nano had a larger screen and that capability I'd but Pacman right on the spot.

Can the shuffle still be used as a portable USB flash drive? I don't see how it connects to the computer now. And the 2G nano is basically the mini with a color screen and name change.

Laughing out loud...

They still not improve functionality at all... :rolleyes:

The Nano can in real play video but they don't put it in the official Firmware...

Good Apple Good

look's awesome!! Will iPods hold their No.1 position in the market? Or will the other brands overtake them?
Since people care about design and not looks, the iPod will likely remain #1. However, the new firmware update has made the technical side of the iPod quite a bit better. Being able to search for music, gapless playback, etc. are all big additions, I think.

Not when you can pick up the 30Gb for 172.

My 30Gb 5th gen arrived the other day...****ed or what? Then again, I don't even use it for video.

Can games be played on the 5th gen or is it only on this newer 6th gen?