Windows Vista 2D icons instead of "3D"

Am I the only one who thinks this 2d icons looks ugly? They are used on almost all dialogs and explorer windows. Why can just they use the "3d" ones?

post-60023-1158860348.png

Edited by Koopie

For claritys sake the 2D icons are better. 16x16 icons should always be as legible as possible, especially with higher and higher DPI screens coming out.

Definitely correct.

It is though a small error on Microsoft's part to scale down the 32x32 icon when scaling between 16x16 and 32x32.

Nevertheless, those downsampled icons still look pretty clear, but not as clear as having a straight-forward perspective for such a small icon.

I think this is a good decision.

2D for the small variants, 3D for the large ones. If you compare e.g. the Network icon above, I think the 2D one is much more clear.

The 2D icons are specifically made to be displayed at 16x16px. They have enhanced contrast and use the limited pixel space more effectively than the large icons. While larger icons (72x72) can afford to be realistic, smaller icons should stick to simple, clear symbols.

i can't remember how this is supposed to work really but the smaller an icon gets the more head-on the appearence is supposed to be.

it's just the 'same' 3d icon 'rotated' another few degrees.

I really hate the new icons in Vista, especially the new Recycle Bin icon which is almost invisible against some backgrounds. I'd rather have the old XP ones, hopefully the RTM release will have some alternatives (not just some crappy dinosaur or wizard ones)

I really hate the new icons in Vista, especially the new Recycle Bin icon which is almost invisible against some backgrounds. I'd rather have the old XP ones, hopefully the RTM release will have some alternatives (not just some crappy dinosaur or wizard ones)
Don't worry... IconPackager will come out for Vista eventualy...