Vista - Tips, Tricks & Tweaks

Thanks again, Herby :D

Would it be possible for you to implement a Copy To and Move To Context Menus just like you did with the Show/Hide System Files and File Extensions Context Menus? I'm sure it might be handy for some members on here :yes:

I've heard the registry tweak to implement Copy to and Move To has some side effects in Windows XP however I'm not sure if this occurs in Vista or not because I've been trying to use Copy2 * Move2 Fixed alternative to fix this issue but I haven't been able to use these context menus as they don't appear in the context menu in Vista :unsure:

Added:

? Shell Commands for Windows Vista

? Copy To Folder & Move To Folder Context Menu Items

Thanks again, He:Dy :D

Would it be possible for you to implement a Copy To and Move To Context Menus just like you did with the Show/Hide System Files and File Extensions Context Menus? I'm sure it might be handy for some members on h:yes:yes:

I've heard the registry tweak to implement Copy to and Move To has some side effects in Windows XP however I'm not sure if this occurs in Vista or not because I've been trying to use Copy2 * Move2 Fixed alternative to fix this issue but I haven't been able to use these context menus as they don't appear in the context menu in Vi:unsure:ure:

You're welco:). :)

I've added the Copy To Folder & Move To Folder Context Menu Items.

They don't break the function of the "Play all" button:D :D

New: Enhanced Recycle Bin Menu

ERBM+.reg replaces the Delete command from the Recycle Bin with a Clear Temp command.

This prevents users from accidentally deleting of the Recycle Bin Icon from the Desktop. :)

It also adds a Disk Cleanup command which performs an Extended Disc Cleanup on all disks.

The Clear Temp command clears both Temp dirs: %SystemRoot%\Temp\ and %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\.

    ERBM.png

More info & download @ Post #1

Should be %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp\

Edit: attached modified reg

ERBM+.reg replaces the Delete command from the Recycle Bin with a Clear Temp command.

This prevents users from accidentally deleting of the Recycle Bin Icon from the Desktop. :)

It also adds a Disk Cleanup command which performs an Extended Disc Cleanup on all disks.

The Clear Temp command clears both Temp dirs: %SystemRoot%\Temp\ and %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\.

    ERBM.png

ERBM.zip

Edited by YuriPavE

Should be %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp\

Edit: attached modified reg

Yep,.. you're right, but %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\ also exist, plus they are linked to each other.

post-20663-1176198344_thumb.png

They both contain the same files and when you clear one of them, the both are cleared.

Anyway,.. thanks for mentioning it. :)

I've changed the command to %Temp% (= %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp).

Disable Hibernation & delete the Hibernation file (source)

Windows places a file on your hard drive that it uses when your computer goes into hibernation mode. If you do not use hibernation mode, or your computer does not properly support it, you may want to disable hibernation and clear the file off your hard drive to free up some space (the file will use as much space as you have in physical memory, so if you have 1GB of RAM, it?s going to use 1GB of your hard drive space).

Disable Hibernation:

1. Click Start, All Programs, and then right click on "Command Prompt".

2. From the context menu click on "Run as administrator".

3. If User Account Control prompts you to allow the action, click on Continue.

4. In the command prompt window, type "powercfg ?h off" (without the quotes).

4. Close the Command Prompt window.

Delete the Hibernation File:

1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click "Disk Cleanup".

2. If prompted to choose a drive, select the drive in which Windows Vista is installed on to and press OK.

3. Disk Cleanup will scan the hard drive and present you with a list of options.

4. Check "Hibernation File Cleaner", and then click OK.

5. When asked "Are you sure you want to permanently delete these files?" click on the Delete Files button.

It dosent work for me, when I run as admin Command Prompt and enter powercfg ?h off i get an error : Invalid parameters

Thanks for ur:)elp :)

    ERBM.png

Also I am having bug with this addon : the Erase Bin option is still there an active, the Clean temp dosent work it opens Search window for me :( look he screen shots :

binerasevc2.jpg

binsearchtu5.jpg

Thanks for your help :)

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the user account picture bigger in the logon screen? I am using Business edition, and I've noticed that the picture is far bigger on ultimate edition

Make sure there's only one user and a password on the user :)

Well that was easy! Had no idea that just adding a password did that :pinch:

Thanks OutblastoR :yes:

Yep,.. you're right, but %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\ also exist, plus they are linked to each other.

post-20663-1176198344_thumb.png

They both contain the same files and when you clear one of them, the both are cleared.

Anyway,.. thanks for mentioning it. :)

I've changed the command to %Temp% (= %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp).

regarding the screenshot, how did you remove the blur from the windows? looks neat! is it a visual style or a registry entry?

    ERBM.png

I found an error in the Registry settings. The Clear Temp command was deleting everything in my personal 'Destop' folder, so I researched this a little and found that because I moved my 'Desktop' folder from C:\Users\[my account]\ to another drive 'N:\Desktop' the command for Clear Temp was not finding the correct path.

I had some help adjusting the key in order to tell it to go to my %SystemDrive% before doing the 'cd' to the appropriate directories. Here is what I came up with:

Cmd.exe /c %SystemDrive% && cd "%SystemRoot%\Temp\" && del *.* /f /q && (for /d %%a in (*) do rd "%%a" /q /s) && cd "%TEMP%" && del *.* /f /q && (for /d %%a in (*) do rd "%%a" /q /s)

Also, for my Vista machine the variable for my personal temp folder showed as all CAPS and variables are case sensitive. I'm not sure if it has always been in all CAPS for earlier versions of windows.

Edited by Ysrafel

Herby, is it possible to get the Sidebar patch working with the 64 Bit version of Windows Sidebar? :)

You can try to edit Sidebar.exe with XN Resource Editor (I can't test it atm).

It dosent work for me, when I run as admin Command Prompt and enter powercfg ?h off i get an error : Invalid parameters

Thanks for ur hel:):)

Try to type it instead of copy and paste:):)

Also I am having bug with this addon : the Erase Bin option is still there an active, the Clean temp dosent work it opens Search window for m:(:(

Thanks for your hel:):)

Hmm,.. are you using Vista 64-bit?

You can try the updated regs (first merge ERBM-.reg and then ERBM+.reg).

regarding the screenshot, how did you remove the blur from the windows? looks neat! is it a visual style or a registry entry?
^^ Would also like to know.

AeroClear Glass by ~neodesktop[/url:):)

I found an error in the Registry settings. The Clear Temp command was deleting everything in my personal 'Destop' folder, so I researched this a little and found that because I moved my 'Desktop' folder from C:\Users\[my account]\ to another drive 'N:\Desktop' the command for Clear Temp was not finding the correct path.

I had some help adjusting the key in order to tell it to go to my %SystemDrive% before doing the 'cd' to the appropriate directories. Here is what I came up with:

Cmd.exe /c %SystemDrive% && cd "%SystemRoot%\Temp\" && del *.* /f /q && (for /d %%a in (*) do rd "%%a" /q /s) && cd "%TEMP%" && del *.* /f /q && (for /d %%a in (*) do rd "%%a" /q /s)

Also, for my Vista machine the variable for my personal temp folder showed as all CAPS and variables are case sensitive. I'm not sure if it has always been in all CAPS for earlier versions of windows.

Sorry about that,..:pinch:h: :/:/ I've updated the reg file with the new commands.

Thanks for posting it and for the fix!:):)

Try to type it instead of copy and paste. :)

Hmm,.. are you using Vista 64-bit?

You can try the updated regs (first merge ERBM-.reg and then ERBM+.reg).

No I am using 32 bits

By typing manual i dont get error anymore :o strange lolzz anyway now when i go to Disk clean up i dont have any "Hibernation File Cleaner" is this mean that i dont already use Hibernation ? or i am doing something wrong ?

for Recycle bin, I unreged and then rereged and now Clean temp work, i have CMD window which lanuched when i click on Clean Temp and do some stuff in it dont knwo if delete anything lolz but it seem to wrok. BUT the Erase Recyclebin Option still there :( wnad when i cehckd in Regedit i see the entry in it which still there is it normal ?

bin1qw8.jpg

bin2sf7.jpg

Theme doesnt work, its an msstyle, renaming it to .theme still didnt fix it, gave me errors.

you ahev to put the folder in : C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

also i think there is patching thing to do; you have to put patched files : shsvcs.dll, themeui.dll, uxtheme.dll search on the forum if you ar enot able to find it i will post them for you.

Good luck