ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 Hypermemory

I'd like to pick the brains of a few people here.

I am moving office shortly from a home office in to an actual office. At the moment I only have one PC, which I intend to convert into a server for files and a web sites production server.

I would like to buy a laptop to use as my main work PC.

Since I am loosing my main gaming PC (which isn't really very good for games anymore anyways), I'd like my laptop to also play a few games. I am on a budget, the CPU and RAM were the most important elements for me. I picked the ATI X1400 with 256MB of memory as my graphics card, and it's partnered with a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo (4MB cache) and 1GB of RAM.

I understand that the card has 128MB on board and you can allocate another 128MB of RAM to the card if you like.

Does anyone have experience with this card? Can anyone tell me if this card would play games like Oblivion, Quake 4, etc?

I'm not after ultra high framerates, and I don't care if I turn off some special effects. I just want something good enough to play a few games every now and again.

Have I picked a lemon in the X1400 or is it good enough for what I want it for?

Thx in advance.

Yea i have just recieved my dads laptop which has an X1400 and its not very fast but it can play some games. Im not really going to be gaming much on it tho since thats what my main rig is for!

I lasted played HL2 EP1 and it wasnt too bad with medium settings on.

Its not really that bad but it has only 4 pipelines or something of that nature, I have one and I'm not a serious gamer but it runs fifa06 and vice city perfectly :p though theyre not grapically that intense

I've been running an Acer Travelmate 4670 with a Core Duo 2300 @ 1.66Ghz, 1GB RAM and X1400 graphics. I can run most games, HL2, DoD, CS:Source, Battlefield 2 etc... on about medium settings at playable framerates (35FPS or so average). Admittedly, the Shader Model 3 support in it is really useless as you can't get games at high enough settings to enjoy that functionality.

Still, it's not a BAD card. I personally would have preferred the 512MB X1600 (256MB onboard and 256 hypermemory), but it's too late to get that now. I recommend that you maybe skimp a little on the CPU power (go the 2400 instead of 2500, doesn't make a hella lot of difference anyhow) and look for something with the X1600 graphics instead. A little more bang for your buck with that :)

Make sure you get 1GB RAM though, anything less and the day you decide to upgrade Vista will be the day you decide to ge more RAM. Depending on where you go you can stike a bargain. Someplaces you can haggle with and they will give you a machine with 512MB RAM and give you a free upgrade to 1GB. Just depends on how big the company is. I went to Harvey Norman here in Australia, they throw in a bunch on extra stuff, especially if you buy 2 or more machines.