Suggest me some good Server Names

We are renaming our servers from "File server" "Development server" "Web server" to something catchy :D

Any ideas, guys?

I don't know what categories though (animals, girls' names, etc) so let's hear those ideas out! :rolleyes:

I'm a fan of descriptive names like "File server" "Development server" "Web server" or "server1" "server2" "server3" etc.

Names are bit of fun but they become confusing to manage

I use japanese words for naughty things. :D

Bukkake (Gameserver)

Shibari (File server)

Tekoki (Main machine)

Tamakeri (Other machine (used by everyone)

Paizuri (Old machine)

Nyotaimori (other old machine)

Edited by kitteny_berk

I use planets for PC names, and moons for hard drives.

There are some really nice moon names. At home I have 2 running,

Mars

C: Calypso

D: Desdemona

Mercury

C: Callisto

My workgroup is SOLAR.

If they have a set purpose, then I would suggest prefixing/suffixing them with a letter convention.

for example :

mars_ws01 : web

mercury_fs01 : file

venus_da01 : domain

neptune_ms01 : mail

etc...

What i've been originally doing is using names of Nordic gods.... THOR, LOKI, etc.... but I still used god names... i use http://www.godchecker.com Just put in the role/purpose of the server (Security server), and it give you a list of all the gods (Nordic, Aztec, Afrikan, etc) that did that particular role, and just choose the one you like.

FILE_SRV, WEB_SERV and DEV_SERV

In a company i find it helps to name them as what there roles are. But keep it short and no spaces so no problems occor using scripts etc. It is always a good idea to set a procedure for naming so nobody goes and names that new server "The new big Dell Server in the back office"

:)

name your servers with names related to any products your company may have

we had a bunch of servers

storm, thunder, tornado, lightning, flood, ect

though we named the webservers after what main domain it hosted

Come on, people. Isn't this obvious? One word: Cartoons!

Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, Yosemite Sam, Daffy, Sylvester...

:D :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :D

We avoided copyrighted names for legal reasons, highly suggest you do the same. We were originally going to use Disney names, but to be safe, we went with something more mundane and not likely to stir up a lawsuit: rocks. Hematite, Agate, Feldspar, Pyrite, Mica, Shale, Monolith, etc. Kind of cheesy, but it keeps us clean. :D

.....we use StarTrek (Mccoy, Sulu, Worf, Data....). Terribly cliche and yes, it does get confusing after you have a number of servers. Over the past few years we've moved on to descriptive names and it works much better. For a project server we use projserv, development servers are dev01 and dev02 and our VMWare servers are gsx01 and gsx02.

I would suggest a complete lack of personality and blandness. :p

File server = FSW2K301, 02 etc

Development server = DSW2K301, 02 etc

Web server = WSW2K301, 02 etc

That way you can see what it does FS = File Server W2K3 (Windows Server 2003) and the number of the server (adding more is easier to name)

Subtract W2K3 for the correct OS (W2K or NT4)

My W2K3 server is called ENTERPRISE and my client VOYAGER :p yeah lame maybe but I only have 1 server here in the office.

Neowin servers are called server1, 2, 3, 4

I'm a fan of descriptive names like "File server" "Development server" "Web server" or "server1" "server2" "server3" etc.

Names are bit of fun but they become confusing to manage

I prefer this method - If I start calling them different names, then I lose track of what it does.