ISP blocked internet connection sharing!

Hi guys.

My ISP has blocked ICS for everyone. They force us to use only 1 line for computer. I've tried many ways to get the internet working in my second computer but it didnt work! I tried many ways like: from router didnt work, from the second NIC didnt work! BTW I have a webstar modem.

Any other idea on how to hook up my second comp. to the internet?

So your saying you can get one machine working using your router? What router?? But not another one? I find this HIGHLY unlikely it has anything to do with your ISP blocking anything..

What do you mean by second nic did not work? If your behind a just modem - no you can not hookup multiple devices. What is the model number of your webstar product? And what is the Model number of the router your trying to use?

So your saying you can get one machine working using your router? What router?? But not another one? I find this HIGHLY unlikely it has anything to do with your ISP blocking anything..

What do you mean by second nic did not work? If your behind a just modem - no you can not hookup multiple devices. What is the model number of your webstar product? And what is the Model number of the router your trying to use?

Yeah, Im simply just behind a modem! It's like those broadband offers that offers internet+Cable TV.

Probably its ur hardware config. ISP cant block ICS but they can throttle the bandwidth and do bandwidth shaping to make it hard for u to torrent or establish multiple simultaneous connection at one time. Double check your hardware config.

My modem looks like this. It's really weird how could they block ICS and force you use only one machine! I was wonderin on what basis does this connection work?!

Probably its ur hardware config. ISP cant block ICS but they can throttle the bandwidth and do bandwidth shaping to make it hard for u to torrent or establish multiple simultaneous connection at one time. Double check your hardware config.

No, it's not my hardware config, because this config, worked with the same ISP a week ago or so. Im sure ISP has done something for all clients...

post-73306-1160153672.gif

I doubt they've blocked it somehow. Why aren't you even considering the fact that maybe your setup is wrong?

Im not considering that fact because Im an excellent student studying for Telecommunications (3-rd year) and Im kinda tired of learning and applying any setup outta there...

Im not considering that fact because Im an excellent student studying for Telecommunications (3-rd year) and Im kinda tired of learning and applying any setup outta there...

Right.

So how do you think they could've blocked NAT? Do you think they'd enforce some sort of packet inspection to look at source IPs of each outgoing packet and block any that have a private IP? Seems a bit pointless for anyone to enforce such a thing.

What router have you used? When you are using a router can any computer access the Internet?

Right.

So how do you think they could've blocked NAT? Do you think they'd enforce some sort of packet inspection to look at source IPs of each outgoing packet and block any that have a private IP? Seems a bit pointless for anyone to enforce such a thing.

What router have you used? When you are using a router can any computer access the Internet?

I used a Belkin Wireless G Router router but as I said that didnt work perhaps of its mac address. None of my computers work when I try using a router.

I was thinking of trying another modem!?

Maybe his ISP gave each computer on his network an own IP (like mine does... it includes 4 IPs), and stopped this, so his network only gets 1 IP...

Then he needs an aditional router, that does NAT.

What is the MODEL of your webstar? Is answering a simple question really that hard? I could really care less what it looks like.. How is what lights it has on the front going to help us understand its features, etc.. Maybe its really a gateway?

How did you have mutiple machines connected to it before? MODEMS do not support more than 1 machine - unless the ISP is handing out multiple IP addresses. And you have a switch or something connected behind the modem.

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/...ebstar_faqs.htm

--

Do I need a Scientific Atlanta cable modem for each computer in the house? Can I just connect the cable modem and two computers to a hub?

The Scientific Atlanta cable modem can support multiple users. However, you need to make sure you can get two IP addresses from your cable modem service provider (the cable provider may charge an additional cost). With the addition of a router, the Scientific Atlanta DPX110 cable modem can support up to 32 devices.

--

Trying to hook up a router to a modem - did you bother resetting the modem after you hooked up a new device to it? (different mac address).. Or did you try cloning the mac of the device that was connected to it before?

You would think a 3rd year telecomunications student would understand this stuff -- guess not ;)

I have the same problem aswell, 1 month ago it worked well, but now NADA, nothing.

ONO blocked me :(

I say his modem is an EPC2100 series

Edited by idoia

It may be possible that the said ISP is blocking the ports. I have clearwire :dizzy: and they block certain ports including 80 inbound to prevent web hosting at home. I have had to get an act of congress here almost to allow them to open up the ports for VOIP from another provider other than them.

They may be blocking the ports to prevent any piracy. I know you can simply change the P2P ports, but if they have the obvious ones blocked or all but your basic FTP, WWW and Telnet ports, then you might be out of luck. Have you checked with the ISP to see if they are blocking the P2P?

@ironman -- what thread are you reading? Where did he mention P2P? Or blocked ports? :blink:

I would guess its possible that your ISP use to hand out more than 1 IP, and now they have changed that.. But that has NOTHING to do with putting a NAT router behind your modem - and sharing your access that way, etc..

What I'm suspecting is going on here is simply a configuration error. Power off and unplug your modem AND router. Let them sit for a sec, then power up the modem first. Once it is totally up, then power up your router. Once it is up, log into the admin console and verify that it has an outside IP address and see if you can ping another site from the console (not sure how belkin is, but you can do this stuff with even the junky linksys routers). Now test the internet from your one computer that you know is working. Go to your other computers in the house and verify that they are also in the same subnet and all that jazz (ipconfig, check for 192.168.0.X, yada yada).

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that your ISP is preventing other machines from your internal network from access the outside internet. When a request comes from your router, the ISP just sees that as one machine. All of your machines should be talking to the router though.

Hey btw... don't go dropping your credentials and what you're studying as the reason as to why you can't have made a mistake. It makes you look like an ass. I could crush you with my resume but I don't parade it around here... everyone makes mistakes and you need to check your configs.

When a request comes from your router, the ISP just sees that as one machine. All of your machines should be talking to the router though.

Yes the IP would be from the same IP.. but in theory it is possible to distinguish hosts behind a NAT device

Some examples

http://www.sflow.org/detectNAT/

Detecting NAT Devices using sFlow

http://illuminati.coralcdn.org/docs/bellov...=%22fnat.pdf%22

A Technique for Counting NATted Hosts

But even if possible to tell if multiple machines behind a NAT device.. would be quite a bit of work and overhead and expense for what exactly? So the ISP could charge you $5 more a month for another IP address? HIGHLY unlikely any ISP would go through the hassle doing such a thing for such a small return, etc.

An then defeating these methods of detection would be possible too.. It just makes no sense, nor have I heard/read of any ISP on the planet attempting to do such a thing.. Sure they could put in the TOS that your to use only 1 machine, etc.. But actually blocking access to a second device behind NAT.. NO not very likely in the least.

Im with Jive on this one -- PEBKAC.

Hey guys Im sorry for being offline for somedays cuz I had an exam...Anyway I made this scheme to let you know that with this configuration it worked before, all I had to do is make a crossover cable and plug it from 2-nd NIC of my 1-st comp to the 2-nd computer, then I shared the connection and it worked fine.

post-73306-1160398020_thumb.jpg

Ok -- From that you were running ICS.. yes that is a NAT method. Comp2 had what IP address? Or had you bridged Nic1 and 2 :rolleyes: -- and your ISP was handing out 2 IPs?

Make your life easier -- use the ROUTER!

Ok -- From that you were running ICS.. yes that is a NAT method. Comp2 had what IP address? Or had you bridged Nic1 and 2 :rolleyes: -- and your ISP was handing out 2 IPs?

Make your life easier -- use the ROUTER!

Yeah, man I wish it worked even if I use a router.

comp2 had this ip:

No, I havent bridged. The gateway of the first computer was the IP of the second computer so that way it wont conflict and it worked, but now eventhough im trying everything it doesnt work! :no:

it could well be that the ISP is setting the TTL to 1 when it is sent to your house. To get round that you need to increase the ttl on all packets going through the router. Not sure how to do it or if its possible on the router you've got.

then you should know that your topic is bull****, just buy a decent router, clone your mac adress and everything works

Why dont you call your isp and tell them the problem? I've had Verizon, Comcast, Adelphia, SBC and have had 3+ computers connected on the same router. No problems! If your router doen't work go get a new one maybe your router went bad. Doesn't hurt to just call your isp.