Apple Bonjour Software

Just wondering if anyone knows what the apple bonjour software is? Yesterday, I get an alert from my firewall software stating that apple bonjour is attempting to access my system. Not knowing what this is, I blocked the install. I just now noticed that while looking for a program, the apple bonjour software installed itself on my computer, even though I had blocked it. I have no idea how this got installed and what website I could have possibly visited that would have prompted the alert message.

assuming you don't have a mac (duh!), you either installed it yourself (yes, there is bonjour for windows) or you use itunes, bonjour is the technology that lets your itunes "see" music shared by others. Either way, its not harmful so don't worry about it.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the apple bonjour software is? Yesterday, I get an alert from my firewall software stating that apple bonjour is attempting to access my system. Not knowing what this is, I blocked the install. I just now noticed that while looking for a program, the apple bonjour software installed itself on my computer, even though I had blocked it. I have no idea how this got installed and what website I could have possibly visited that would have prompted the alert message.

Not trying to be a wise ass, but Google is your friend.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bonjour/

Not trying to be a wise ass, but Google is your friend.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bonjour/

I found out what apple bonjour was prior to posting this message, but what I was trying to say is that I didn't know what purpose it served. I have iTunes installed on my system, but it wasn't until yesterday that the bonjour program installed itself.

When I sent an e-mail to support about this, the form seemed to be geared mainly towards apple as the only computer choices listed were apple computers. I understand that this application is safe, but I just wonder how it got installed by itself. I don't recall seeing anything about this during the iTunes setup.

I found out what apple bonjour was prior to posting this message, but what I was trying to say is that I didn't know what purpose it served. I have iTunes installed on my system, but it wasn't until yesterday that the bonjour program installed itself.

When I sent an e-mail to support about this, the form seemed to be geared mainly towards apple as the only computer choices listed were apple computers. I understand that this application is safe, but I just wonder how it got installed by itself. I don't recall seeing anything about this during the iTunes setup.

If you installed a recent version of iTunes (7.x) then it will, by default, try and push Software Update. I don't know if Bonjour is included in that, I prefer to extract the contents of iTunesSetup.exe and extract just the QuickTime and iTunes installers.

Having said that, they are bundling the apps with the intention of using Software Update to keep you on the latest versions of their apps. With security and stability being a personal favorite of mine, I would have to tip my hat to them in this instance.

As far as Bonjour, it is safe to keep it on your computer if you have a multi-OS environment.