No Broadband Until 2005

i called Adelphia (local cable co.) about broadband in my area...... as it turns out the expected date in which cable service will be available is no longer in Feb. THE REASON IS THIS:::

there are many companies who have been contracted to lay down fiber optic cables and to update all those "boxes" underground. There are various projects being done around the city based on street, that installing the fiber optic lines itself takes anywhere between a month to 3 month. and the city is responsible to coordinating the whole operation, they tell the contracted companies what they can and can't do and on top of that... they have a due date on when they must be done installing the lines otherwise they get fined lots of money, because of that they are leaving behind that area, unfinished, and going somewhere else, and this is only for CABLE.... As for DSL Verizon and SBC are the two companies that are operating in the area where i live. Its been years since DSL was realeases commercially to the public and STILL i am not able to get DSL... each time i call the answer is "call back in a month" and only a few times do i get someone who tells me the truth.. what have they got to loose if they don't tell me the truth? it's not like i'm going to cancel my phone service with them just because they keep stalling me. THIS IS SO PATHETIC :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

This is just so messed up, the phone companies aren't taking control... the city is putting nonsense restrictions and fines.... the workers are not able to finish what they were assigned.... DAMN THOSE SOBs :angry:

i'm going to call the city council and give them a piece of my mind and hold my :x that they do something about it ASAP.

i called Adelphia (local cable co.) about broadband in my area...... as it turns out the expected date in which cable service will be available is no longer in Feb. THE REASON IS THIS:::

there are many companies who have been contracted to lay down fiber optic cables and to update all those "boxes" underground. There are various projects being done around the city based on street, that installing the fiber optic lines itself takes anywhere between a month to 3 month. and the city is responsible to coordinating the whole operation, they tell the contracted companies what they can and can't do and on top of that... they have a due date on when they must be done installing the lines otherwise they get fined lots of money, because of that they are leaving behind that area, unfinished, and going somewhere else, and this is only for CABLE.... As for DSL Verizon and SBC are the two companies that are operating in the area where i live. Its been years since DSL was realeases commercially to the public and STILL i am not able to get DSL... each time i call the answer is "call back in a month" and only a few times do i get someone who tells me the truth.. what have they got to loose if they don't tell me the truth? it's not like i'm going to cancel my phone service with them just because they keep stalling me. THIS IS SO PATHETIC :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

This is just so messed up, the phone companies aren't taking control... the city is putting nonsense restrictions and fines.... the workers are not able to finish what they were assigned.... DAMN THOSE SOBs :angry:

i'm going to call the city council and give them a piece of my mind and hold my :x that they do something about it ASAP.

Join the club. At least you have a date. Time Warner cable says that my town is too small (but we double in population every year) to have cable access and Lakedale Telephone company (a local company - is testing DSL in almost every area around it except ours).

The mayor of my town said he would call Time Warner to get them to re-evaluate their thinking, thought, so that is cool.

Ya... Earthlink Satellite powered by Direc PC.... my unlce paid over $2,000 on parts and installation..... and now a monthly payment of $70 w/ 125 - 212 MB of bandwidth every 12 hours allowed... after that our bandwidth gets cut in half for the next 12 hours.... I DON"T THINK THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL BROADBAND

PLUS YOU HAVE A .5 SECOND LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG (lateny period)

Sucks for you guys that can't get it...thats why they make Dircet PC....by Direct Tv

Oh yeah. I had that for a year. The WORST SERVICE EVER!!!!

I was allowed d/l speeds of 600 kbps until I downloaded around 200 MBs and then my connection dropped down to 40-50 kbps. I then had to disconnect and wait 8-12 hours to get those speeds again. It took me three days to download the Win XP beta from MS last year.

DirecPC said that I was violating their FAP (Fair Access Policy) so that everyone could enjoy the same speeds. What it is is 40-70 dollars of BS to be regulated by those a-holes.

You can't game due to latency, customer service is a joke, and setting it up can be a nightmare. The satellite installer had no idea why I could not connect. It took me almost a day of dealing with their technical people and a combination of the direcpc newsgroups to finally get on.

Trust me, the service is a joke and they will go under if they continue to limit people from non-regulated d/l speeds.

I was allowed d/l speeds of 600 kbps until I downloaded around 200 MBs and then my connection dropped down to 40-50 kbps. I then had to disconnect and wait 8-12 hours to get those speeds again. It took me three days to download the Win XP beta from MS last year.

DirecPC said that I was violating their FAP (Fair Access Policy) so that everyone could enjoy the same speeds. What it is is 40-70 dollars of BS to be regulated by those a-holes.

You can't game due to latency, customer service is a joke, and setting it up can be a nightmare. The satellite installer had no idea why I could not connect. It took me almost a day of dealing with their technical people and a combination of the direcpc newsgroups to finally get on.

Trust me, the service is a joke and they will go under if they continue to limit people from non-regulated d/l speeds.

When i first had it installed it wouldn''t work because the modem wouldnt turn on... it was a week later that they told us that the modem would not turn on because we had an outdated version of the software (XP incompatibility) Why would they not support XP when XP had already been released 3 - 4 months prior?

Fair Access Policy (FAP) what kind of BS is this? why limit bandwidth, why share? if no one shared then everyone will be happy. i don't think people with DSL have this problem.. they just add more lines don't they? so that no one's connection gets slow?

When i first had it installed it wouldn''t work because the modem wouldnt turn on... it was a week later that they told us that the modem would not turn on because we had an outdated version of the software (XP incompatibility) Why would they not support XP when XP had already been released 3 - 4 months prior?

Fair Access Policy (FAP) what kind of BS is this? why limit bandwidth, why share? if no one shared then everyone will be happy. i don't think people with DSL have this problem.. they just add more lines don't they? so that no one's connection gets slow?

Hey, if you want more proof, check out alt.satellite.direcpc on the newsgroups. You will get an eyeful.

I didn't have that issue, but there were some updated 3.01 drivers put out for those of us who had the one way connection. I think the 2 way is much more popular now.

The FAP policy is pure BS. They are scared that too many people will hog the waves and not give the same speeds to everyone else. Well, the last I checked, the Satellite waves are available to everyone since the waves are coming from the southern hemisphere. Anyone with a receiver, dish, and know how could intercept those coming down. I think Hughes should worry more about that then some measley bandwidth issues. I hope they go down when broadband Cable/DSL goes widespread. Hughes will have to remove that policy.

Edited by briangw

I didn't have that issue, but there were some updated 3.01 drivers put out for those of us who had the one way connection. I think the 2 way is much more popular now.

i got the 2 way but that still doesnt matter because of the "FAP" BS.... and since my provider is earthlink and the software i use is from earthlink i can only update their files... and every now and then they tell me to update the software so that it can be FASTER ................ lol :D WHAT A JOKE.... I FEEL LIKE THEY'RE JUST :hump: ING ME.

thats why (starting today) i have been sending email to my city council and constantly calling the phone and cable companies.... e-mail is the best because i have over 30 accounts. ;) ;)

i got the 2 way but that still doesnt matter because of the "FAP" BS.... and since my provider is earthlink and the software i use is from earthlink i can only update their files... and every now and then they tell me to update the software so that it can be FASTER ................ lol :D WHAT A JOKE.... I FEEL LIKE THEY'RE JUST :hump: ING ME.

thats why (starting today) i have been sending email to my city council and constantly calling the phone and cable companies.... e-mail is the best because i have over 30 accounts. ;) ;)

I did hear that AOL Plus does not have FAP. At least, that's what was circulating around the DirecPC newsgroup.

:o AOL? :o HA!! i'm better of not having an online connection at all than to have AOL

:angry: :angry: AOL.................... THE CD's they send every week is worse than junk mail.... and if anyone has ever made the mistake of using their 1000 hours for free. you know how it feels... Those MFs will never leave you alone. i hope AOL dies

** those 1000 hours that are free... NO, they make you pay!! BS :angry:

:o AOL? :o HA!! i'm better of not having an online connection at all than to have AOL

:angry: :angry: AOL.................... THE CD's they send every week is worse than junk mail.... and if anyone has ever made the mistake of using their 1000 hours for free. you know how it feels... Those MFs will never leave you alone. i hope AOL dies

** those 1000 hours that are free... NO, they make you pay!! BS :angry:

No, no, no. AOL Satellite is WAY better than any other high speed Satellite service. Comparing AOL Satellite to AOL Dialup is like comparing apples to oranges. We all know dial up sucks, but AOL Satellite does not have the FAP crap that DirecPC does. Besides, you don't have to go through AOL to access the Internet, you can use IE/Netscape/or any other browser.

I, in no way, like or endorse AOL, but if I were to get Satellite again, I would actually pay to use AOL's service.

i guess i just have a phobia against AOL, don't know why, but i do

BROADBAND... a lot of people from my city have made a petition for broadband and have won... they've got Verizon's attention to have DSL installed everywhere and CABLE has been garunteed servicable to me by February :D

i could not be happier at this moment :D

i guess i just have a phobia against AOL, don't know why, but i do

BROADBAND... a lot of people from my city have made a petition for broadband and have won... they've got Verizon's attention to have DSL installed everywhere and CABLE has been garunteed servicable to me by February :D

i could not be happier at this moment :D

well i only got a 64k isdn connection and am leching 4.5 gigs a month and the only offer for broadband would include a 4.0 gig download limit

??? :huh: from what you said i'm guessing that even CABLE and DSL have download limits.

what happenes when you reach that 4.0 gig within a month?

my cousin has DSL and he has IMESH and KaZaA running all night everyday downloading who knows what and nothing ever happens to his connection and it doesn't slow down either. I don't know :blink:

After hundreds of questions i've found that DSL is a better choice than CABLE.... but DSL will be no where close to my area until late next year. and it's kind of important that i get the service through earthlink, my uncle has a thing for them :blink:

So a T1 line would be the only way i can get broadband right now. but its $600 a month and some other fees?

Does anyone know how much those fees are to put in the wires and everything else ???????????????????

My uncle wants a broadband connection as bad as i do because he does a lot of work from home and stuff, but at $600, i'm think if any neighbors are interested... maybe charge them 50 to 70 dollars a month and my Uncle's company he works for will pay for the rest of it.

If you guys have any ideas on how i can sucker my uncle in on getting the T1 line for the house. please tell me. :D