The Coolest Icons....

they are i mean who hasnt downloaded a copyrighted music file off the inet ? :) who hasnt done 1 traffic violation while drive? :no:

I like your sig, it basically sums up your point.

:D

Since I'm not worried about winning any popularity contests here at Neowin ;)

Twist can do whatever the hell he wants to do with that pic. He can make icons out of it, png's, friggin wallpaper - he can even make some colorful toilet paper out of it - whatever. Legal or not, there's nothing anybody can do about it, so why spend time arguing it? :blink:

As for spending $9.99 for some icons - LOL. If I saw icons I really liked, that cost 10 bucks, I would simply make my own out of the screenshot :) Skill or none, I can't see myself paying for a handful of icons. But that's just my opinion. Fortunately there are a lot of highly skilled, creative individuals who don't need financial compensation for their icons, and I'm perfectly content using the icons they create ...

mavis

This has got to be a record. This thread went OT in like the third post. Hasn't looked back since.

But come on. If you download content on to your computer, or scan a pic or whatever, you have every right to change that item to whatever you want, as long as you don't re-distribute it. There is nothing the original artist can do. I agree 100% with twist here for sure.

But anyway, it is a sweet icon set. I probably wouldn't use it even if it was free. They are a bit too fancy for my tastes.

I don't know where in the name of CHRIST you guys got your understanding of copyright law/fair use law, but whether you like it or not, twizzle is absolutely correct. While his solution may be very unethical, there is nothing illegal at all about downloading a freely distributed image and making icons for personal use out of it. It doesn't matter if that image is a jpg of a few commercially available icons or a jpg of pamela anderson, he can do whatever he pleases with that freely available image for his own personal use.

whether twist is in the correct or not, his arguments appeal to me.

just for kicks, those arguing for copyright protection, don't suppose any of you are running on linux?

:D :D :D

haha, well i just noticed it. i've been busy the past couple days. damn funny thread though, people's lack of knowledge cracks me up. twist is 100% correct. since twist says he wasn't redistributing, how would the author prove that there were losses or damages?

and the people who were against twist never commented on the authors use of copyrighted logos in his work that he is making money off of. THAT is illegal.

::edit::

here's some stuff i found on the Franklin Pierce Law Center www.fplc.edu.:

"Copyright does not give an owner the right to sell or distribute a work. For example, consider one person's drawing of another's painting. While the drawing should be protected by copyright, it could not be sold without permission of the owner of copyright in the original painting. Also, of course, the right to sell a work might be affected by laws governing matters such as obscenity or the rights of privacy or publicity of any person depicted.

Fair Use. Partial or limited reproduction of another's work may be permitted under the fair use doctrine. This doctrine is especially liberal where the use advances public interests such as education or scholarship."

Edited by BroChaos