Netowrk Begginer

hi all,

I have to Pcs both running XP Pro, now i want to network them together, i have no clue on netoerking, can any one help me to an online guide to the networking, i would be grateful

yay for network setup wizard!

start -- control panel -- network connections -- set up a home or small office network

and if you haven't already, get a crossover cable. or if you have more funds, a small hub/switch and a couple of regular cat5 cables.

networking for beginners

Its a good place to start if you don't know much about networking. If you have broadband you should get a router with built in 4 port switch, they are all mostly extremely easy to setup. If your not sharing internet then stick to a switch, hubs are ok too but if you want to play games through there a smart no setup switch switch is the way to go. If you want a wireless router(802.11b) i have and like the D-Link 614+ with the 22mbps throughput, but they are going to have 802.11g coming out soon so you might want to wait for that. If your looking for ethernet only then i would look at the Netgear stuff cause its very inexpensive but the Linksys is great too, and the D-Link is dependable and sometimes be had for cheap too. DOn't get taken for Cat5 cabling, its all the same stuff, and the Belkin ones they sell in the store are ridiculous priced, check you local Home Depot or Lowes cause i have seen the premade cabling for a lot less.

One point to remember is that you should always use straight(also called patch cables) for connectint to your router or switch but you will need a cross over cable to connect a switch to a router or to connect 2 PC's or 2 Xbox's together. Hope this helps!

i am using 2 pcs to network so i dont need to have a hub (am i right...?), i understand the bit to start the

start -- control panel -- network connections -- set up a home or small office network
but i cant seem to get the connection working through my 56 K modem, i also want to share a printer and i want both pcs read off each other wat evers in the shared folder,

thanks

so are you trying to share internet from one computer to another?

since you've only got 2 computers, you need two network cards, and a crossover cable. get that all up and running, and then run that wizard. once that gets running, it'll open up the shared documents folder (i think), and it should be fairly easy to share printers. at that point you can also share your internet connection....

i have all the cards and cables and connected together, i have a problem though. i can view all the files on the other pc buit it cannot see ne thing on mine, i have made sure i have had the right setup names, (workgroup names) i have started the sharing of my printer by right clicking it and go to "share printer"

Does anyone know how to share an internet connection?

go to your network connections, find the dial up connection you want to share...right click -- properties -- advanced

somewhere in there is internet connection sharing. i believe you could've set it all up using the network setup wizard...

• 3 weeks later...