Upgrading video card on my HP

I want to upgrade the graphics card on this computer, the computer is fairly new but it has some graphics problems. I was looking at the specs for it and im a bit confused.

It currently has: Integrated with up to 128 MB allocated video memory

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM

I want to upgrade it to a ATI X1950Pro PCI-Express 256MB Video Card

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...1500&catid=

My question is, do I need a AGP or PCI? and what do they mean by "integrated"?

An integrated graphics card an onboard video card.

There are a ports on your computer. Newer computers come with PCI-Express ports, older computers are AGP.

We need to know what motherboard you have before we can say what graphics card you need.

easyer would be to give us the model of your HP computer.

He did its a a1240n and by looking at the specs for this machine there is no pcie or agp slot on the mobo so he wont be able to use a seperate card looks like he is stuck with onboard only.

HP A1240N

You probably could get away with changing the motherboard as well, to get PCI-E. So all is not lost. :)

He gave it.....HP Pavillion q1240n

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade your graphics card. There are no ports available to expand upon.

http://www.hp.ca/products/static/pavilion-...240n/a1240n.pdf

You only have PCI slots available. You can try to find a PCI graphics card (NOT PCI-EXPRESS) although it is probably better to option to buy a new computer.

I doubt HP computers use standard motherboard sizes so changing motherboards probably won't work.

There has to be some way to upgrade the graphics card.. its an expensive computer (was last year) and it has 3 PCI expansion slots.

Edit: I could buy the graphics card, try it out, if it doesnt work I can return it.

unfortunately not that grfx card u wanted to try will not work in a pci slot it is pci-e only.

Only otherway is to try and get a pci-e mobo to go with the grfx card as long as that may fit.

no matter how much u spend on computer somtimes companys like dell and HP don't include AGP or PCI-e slots on their motherboards thats why you don't buy these PCs if you plan on upgrading to want to start gaming with them usually. Also no point in wasting money on pci-ex16 in a pci slot because there different pin amount so we can tell you right now it wont fit. highest upgrade you're gonna get is a pci gfx card which isn't a very good one so just ashame you spent that much on a pc and want to upgrade it now, only thing i can think of it contacting HP and see if they have any motherboard upgrades or somthing available.