Unreal Tournament 2007 (Name Changed)

CVG has learnt that Midway will rename Unreal Tournament 2007, Unreal Tournament III, even though the upcoming shooter is the fourth game in the series.

First there was Unreal Tournament, then Unreal Tournament 2003, which was followed a year later by Unreal Tournament 2004. Count 'em, that three UT games already out there, with UT 2007 on the horizon.

CVG has learnt that Midway and developer Epic will be announcing a slightly confusing name change for the hotly-anticipated Unreal shooter soon, possibly later today. We believe that the name change is to coincide with the game using the latest Unreal engine, cleverly dubbed Unreal Engine III.

Midway is currently holding a Gamers' Day press event in the US. CVG is there (not me, I'm still in the office) but we'll get confirmation as soon as we can.

Source: CVG
Epic already stated before that "UT2007" may not be the final name. Actually I like the name change. It makes a lot of sense:

Unreal Tournament (1) - based on the UnrealEngine 1

Unreal Tournament 2003 - based on the UnrealEngine 2

Unreal Tournament 2004 - based on UnrealEngine 2.5 (UT2.5 fits here, it's basically UT2 with a lot more content)

Unreal Tournament 3 - based on UnrealEngine 3

Source: Epic Forum (Wormbo).

Still no 100% official news from Epic Games to this date.

meh they took the date out as to not bind the game to a release date :p

seriously: i couldn't care less about the name :p i just want the game :D

I dont care what the name is i just want them to release it! wasnt this supposed to be out early 2006?

Any word on a release date?

I'm glad they changed the name. Now it authenticates the statement that the game is not tied to a year. Still seems logical to go with Unreal Tournament IV because it's the fourth game. Just how many of your average gamers who just want a game to play are going to say, "Yeah, this thing is decked out with the Unreal 3 engine." *friend looks at him :blink: *

Unreal Tournament 2003, as I recall, is what Unreal Tournament 2004 should have been and they pulled 2003 from the shelves and replaced it with 2004.

Erm no. UT2004 was everything 2003 was, but had more than twice as much content in the form of maps and characters. 6 cds (or 1 dvd) vs 3 cds. The graphics were also tweaked too. It may not seem like much of an improvement over 2003, but remember it was released only a year after 2003.

Erm no. UT2004 was everything 2003 was, but had more than twice as much content in the form of maps and characters. 6 cds (or 1 dvd) vs 3 cds. The graphics were also tweaked too. It may not seem like much of an improvement over 2003, but remember it was released only a year after 2003.

It's pretty obvious that's what he meant :p

Oh woops. I meant the other way around. UT2004 is what UT2003 should have been.

The mode they added in 2004 with the vehicles and stuff was awful. I really hope it doesn't make another appearance in this title.

WHAT!

Onslaught is THE best game mode ever!!! Of course, in UT3 it'll be called Conquest and much larger maps. The only reason I play UT2004 is for ONS, so I'm hoping in UT3, the CON will be even better.

I am a huge Onslaught fan as well.

It's a voluntary gametype. If you don't like vehicles then go play DM, CTF, etc. How can you criticize something that you have the option not to play? :laugh:

I am a huge Onslaught fan as well.

It's a voluntary gametype. If you don't like vehicles then go play DM, CTF, etc. How can you criticize something that you have the option not to play? :laugh:

Because I've played it? The concept was there, it was just poorly executed. Although I only played early versions of the game, and those experiences were generally annoying. Maybe it's changed.

But yeah, 4v4 CTF is my crib.

I wasn't really directing my post at you ynnoj. More towards NegaC who said he didn't like vehicles in multiplayer shooters. Which doesn't make sense to me considering there are several gametypes sans vehicles that he could choose.

But specifically regarding your comment, it all comes down to opinion. I'm not saying you're bad at Onslaught but I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy it. At least, I don't think it was implemented poorly. I find the online experience with Onslaught to be great especially nowadays. Maybe everytime you play the teams and matches were poorly balanced. I've never had a problem vehicle spamming but it does happen occasionally. Then again, it still comes down to opinion. You simply may not enjoy it. :p

As for CTF, I play on the Wrath Instagib CTF server. Awesomeness for sure.

Yeah, vehicle spam was the thing that generally angered me. That and just being randomly run down from behind by those hovercraft things, and then being continuously raped by the flying vehicles which were impossible to take down. Maybe I just sucked.

I'll stick to CTF ;)