How to disable driver sign in vista 64?

Huh? What kind of unsigned kernel driver are you trying to install??? Are you a developer or something?

How does it matter?, i want to choose what driver i use.

For what? 99.9% of drivers are completely unaffected by that change. Have you actually encountered an unsigned driver? Or are you just looking to disable the requirement for the heck of it?

Well that's just not cool at all.

Come on... there lots of hardware that dont have signed drivers... and i paid for my copy of Vista. So i not need your sh**ty comments :(

Found it:

// Disable enforcement ? no signing checks

Bcdedit.exe ?set nointegritychecks ON

// Enable enforcement ? signing checks apply

Bcdedit.exe ?set nointegritychecks OFF

Come on... there lots of hardware that dont have signed drivers... and i paid for my copy of Vista. So i not need your sh**ty comments :(

Please name one piece of hardware that has unsigned kernel-mode drivers. I can't think of a single one.

The only thing I've ever heard of being affected by this were Joe's home-made keyboard filter (my friend uses a self-coded one for switching between QUERY and DVORAK mapping on the fly), or keyloggers.

It's not like it affects display drivers or anything.

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

This disables driver signing permanently. Pay no attention to the double "D", it is there intenionally as it is needed for the switch to work correctly. ;)

I use this switch for my unsigned "Conexant AC-Link Audio/ATI Integrated Digital Audio" driver, the only unsigned driver on my Vista x64 installation and it will stay this way until ATI releases a signed one. =(

I've encountered at least 3 programs that require that some sort of virtual device is installed, such as daemon tools and blindwrite. In most cases you can simply wait until they release a newer version with signed drivers, but sometimes they don't and might possibly never update it. I disabled it, too, just because it's slightly annoying. Not nearly as annoying as UAC, though, which is the first thing I disable when I install Vista.

Yea, Acronis Disk Director Suite installs an unsigned driver. Really annoying when I had it installed to have to hit F8 every time I started my computer or rebooted....

that fact there isn't an easier way to disable it is just ridiculous, that's why i got the 32 bit version of vista instead of the 64. I'll ask microsoft to send my my 64 bit copy when its worth it.

that fact there isn't an easier way to disable it is just ridiculous, that's why i got the 32 bit version of vista instead of the 64. I'll ask microsoft to send my my 64 bit copy when its worth it.

Huh? You should never be installing unsigned code into kernel mode. Not ever.

This is how rootkits happen. Besides, kernel-mode drivers are bad enough to begin with.

Brandon Live, you usually have some of the best posts on this forum but this is not one of them. There are valid reasons for disabling driver signing enforcement. I had to install a driver for my Hauppauge PVR-1300 and because Hauppauge hasn't released a signed driver for that card yet I had to turn it off to get a modified Conexant driver to load.

It may not be a good solution in the long run but until more vendors start supplying signed drivers its the only way to get our hardware to work.

He's just being defensive, like Brad does in the Stardock-bashing threads. I'd really be surprised if he reacted differently.

Rootkits happen when you're dumb enough to stick that Sony CD into your drive. :laugh: Intelligent computing goes a lot further in preventing disaster than MS' new "security" features. They're there for the average Joe who just bought a Dell.

Intelligent computing goes a lot further in preventing disaster than MS' new "security" features. They're there for the average Joe who just bought a Dell.

Hey now! I just bought a Dell because of the interest free payments and I already have a line of credit with them. :p

He's just being defensive, like Brad does in the Stardock-bashing threads. I'd really be surprised if he reacted differently.

Rootkits happen when you're dumb enough to stick that Sony CD into your drive. :laugh: Intelligent computing goes a lot further in preventing disaster than MS' new "security" features. They're there for the average Joe who just bought a Dell.

And unfortunately Sony, Starforce, and other "bad" drivers are likely to be signed anyway, so they're still likely to get by Kernel Signing (and maybe PatchGuard).

PatchGuard raises the bar significantly for achieving any kind of "rootkit" on Vista.

I had to install a driver for my Hauppauge PVR-1300 and because Hauppauge hasn't released a signed driver for that card yet I had to turn it off to get a modified Conexant driver to load.

That's a kernel-mode driver? I am surprised they don't have a 64-bit driver for that, since they do for the 1600 and other cards.

PatchGuard raises the bar significantly for achieving any kind of "rootkit" on Vista.

That's a kernel-mode driver? I am surprised they don't have a 64-bit driver for that, since they do for the 1600 and other cards.

Appears they are. I had to turn it off to get it working at least.

They only have 64bit vista drivers for WinTV-PVR-150/500, WinTV-PVR-USB2 model 24XXX, WinTV-HVR-1100 and WinTV-HVR-1600 at the moment.

It's not hard to disable patchguard; pretty much anyone capable of writing a kernel-mode rootkit is going to be able to figure out how to disable patchguard.

It's not hard to disable patchguard; pretty much anyone capable of writing a kernel-mode rootkit is going to be able to figure out how to disable patchguard.

Exactly. It's just one of the pseudo-security features in Vista that give you only a false sense of security if you rely on them exclusively.

I know that not everyone is signing their drivers since the driver for my new Linksys WMP54G wireless network card is not signed.

Personally, as the owner of my computer, I wish that I had the option of personally signing or allowing unsigned drivers on an individual basis. It seems to me that you shouldn't have to turn the whole system off just to install one driver.

lets see ...

TV card drivers, unsigned.

monitor driver, unsigned

video card drivers, unsigned

PCI wifi card drivers, unsigned

USB wifi drivers, unsigned

Splitcam driver, unsigned

yup, i have a LOT of unsigned drivers. ANY driver you alter becomes unsigned.

ANY driver you make will be unsigned. as far as i know, it costs $$$ to get drivers signed. more $$$ than most people would be willing to spend.

a SIGNED driver offers zero improvement over a non signed driver. things like blocking unsigned drivers may stop some "bad" stuff from being installed.

if you know what you are installing, its silly for the OS to block it because the author/modifier didn't pay Microsoft money.