ASUS A8N-SLI Premium / Deluxe Mobo & Vista

Hi,

Vista performance for me has never been good. I had a strange Lag effect when drives are being accessed, noticeable as the mouse lags as you move it. During drive access any playing sounds would stutter. After installing the nforce4 chipset drivers, things improved but not well enough, so i decided to do some investigation....

My motherboard is an asus a8n-sli premium, i was previously using bios 1009. This bios has always been stable, but to be honest i've always questioned how good it is, anyone reading the asus forums will know that this bios was in beta for months and the following versions were so buggy they generally had to be ignored.

Anyway, i noticed some forum chatter mentioning that the latest bios (1013?) was said to improve things in vista. Then i read that the official bios didnt contain updated raid components. Someone has posted an updated BIOS here:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=200...SLanguage=en-us

I applied this using the asus update tool from windows xp. After reboot i setup my bios again (as it resets to default) then i reapplied the nforce chipset drivers in vista. After reboot all hardware was re-detected and low and behold, my vista lag issues have gone! :woot:

Worth a try if you have this motherboard

Good to hear you solved the lag problems. This has gotten me interested aswell, I'm on a A8N-SLI though. Downloaded latest bios and applied it (via remote desktop lol) but now my system is not booting and my mum can't figure out the "CODES ON THE SCREEN" when I asked her to take a look :p hahah

anyway, I'll let you know if performance on a normal A8N-SLI has increased aswell with the latest bios.

Regards,

I have an Asus A8N SLI Deluxe with 1805.BIN Bios, but RAID Bios version is always 5.1.39.

Could you find Deluxe Bios with updated RAID Bios version to 5.3.14 ?

I have an Asus A8N SLI Deluxe with 1805.BIN Bios, but RAID Bios version is always 5.1.39.

Could you find Deluxe Bios with updated RAID Bios version to 5.3.14 ?

or you could look for it lol

I don't know alot about mobo's. Does this include me. Look in my sig for my mobo.

according to your sig, you have the deluxe model whereas i have the premium, meaning where you have fans, i have heatpipes! :shifty:

the architecture of these boards is slightly different, therefore you need to look here: http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us and select motherboards/socket 939/a8n-sli deluxe, then select the latest bios from the bios tab. I can't see if the latest deluxe bios contains

you can update your bios directly from windows using the asus update tool (also available from the asus site)

BEWARE that you can cause serious damage to your motherboard when applying a new bios. You should read up on it first before starting

according to your sig, you have the deluxe model whereas i have the premium, meaning where you have fans, i have heatpipes!

Actually Face-T's sig indicates he has the Asus A8N32 - SLI Deluxe - which also has heatpipes.

Face T - if you are not confident about updating your BIOS and you are not having any problems, I wouldn't bother. If you are having problems and think that a BIOS upgrade might fix them, you can find detailed instructions for updating on the ASUS website.

Actually Face-T's sig indicates he has the Asus A8N32 - SLI Deluxe - which also has heatpipes.

Face T - if you are not confident about updating your BIOS and you are not having any problems, I wouldn't bother. If you are having problems and think that a BIOS upgrade might fix them, you can find detailed instructions for updating on the ASUS website.

ahh! good spot! :whistle:

to be clear, the only "problem" i had was the fact that vista ran much slower than xp. xp has been running fine on the previous bios version for nearly 2 years. It was only when i had vista running with forceware drivers etc that i noticed it was pretty slow in comparison to xp.

after updating bios and re-applying all system drivers in vista and xp (dual boot) it was immediately obvious that the bios update had a dramatic effect on both operating systems. BIOS updates are always something i dislike doing as things can go wrong, very wrong! As daedalus says, details are on the asus website.

ahh! good spot! :whistle:

to be clear, the only "problem" i had was the fact that vista ran much slower than xp. xp has been running fine on the previous bios version for nearly 2 years. It was only when i had vista running with forceware drivers etc that i noticed it was pretty slow in comparison to xp.

after updating bios and re-applying all system drivers in vista and xp (dual boot) it was immediately obvious that the bios update had a dramatic effect on both operating systems. BIOS updates are always something i dislike doing as things can go wrong, very wrong! As daedalus says, details are on the asus website.

update: since applying this BIOS and testing for a few days, it's like owning a new pc. If you were on BIOS 1009 for this board, you should upgrade immediately!

Both Vista and XP now perform much much better.

:woot:

For the Asus A8N-SLI users, I can recommend the newest 1604 bios, Vista is responding much faster now! :D yaay

Though it put my memory (DDR400) with auto on DDR333.... dunno what that is about but I switched it to DDR400 using manual settings :)