Wireless Newbie Question

Hi, I'm new to this wireless networking arena. I want to purchase wireless for both home and work. At work it'll be no problem because DSL and wireless router should be a breeze to configure. However at home I still use 56k --on desktop-- for the moment (planning to eventually change). Can I have wireless internet at home --for laptop-- through a 56k Internet Connection Sharing via one of the desktops and be able to connect to that dialup connection through my laptop (wireless) via the wireless router?

Did that come out clear enough to understand?

Any help would be great.

Thanks so much.

Hi, I'm new to this wireless networking arena. ?I want to purchase wireless for both home and work. ?At work it'll be no problem because DSL and wireless router should be a breeze to configure. ?However at home I still use 56k --on desktop-- for the moment (planning to eventually change). ?Can I have wireless internet at home --for laptop-- through a 56k Internet Connection Sharing via one of the desktops and be able to connect to that dialup connection through my laptop (wireless) via the wireless router?

Did that come out clear enough to understand?

Any help would be great.

Thanks so much.

Leave the router at work, for the time being until you switch over to broadband at home..

so .... For work, get your self a wireless router... set this up using "Infrastructure"

for home....

two wireless interface cards..

1 PCI Wirless for the desktop , and 1 Laptop Card for the laptop.

then set up the configuration as "AD HOC" and enable internet connection sharing... this will transmit the 56k signal, to your laptop. the wireless will only work as fast the the data is being forwarded from the dialup.

----------

AD HOC -- this is exactly similar to using 2 Ethernet cards with a crossover cable.

Thanks.

But say I had the router to bring home, how could I set up the connection? Will it still work? You know, something along the side of a normal non-wireless router used to share internet connection. Would the wireless work on the same aspect?

Thanks

Thanks.

But say I had the router to bring home, how could I set up the connection? Will it still work? You know, something along the side of a normal non-wireless router used to share internet connection. Would the wireless work on the same aspect?

Thanks

no it wouldn't because you can't plug your dialup into the router..

what about sharing an internet connection via modem on a pc connected to the wireless router?  would that work?

that would mean you want to share your connection thru the router?

why would you even bother doing that.

just use AD HOC, you don't need the router at home, its pointless, until you get broadband there.

well i want to buy a router at discounted price (rebate expires soon) so i figured might as well buy one now then later. I'm only going for 802.11b, it's pointless getting 802.11a for me. So I just want to cash in the deal.

Would my setup situation work? If it works than I would like to know.

Thanks.

well i want to buy a router at discounted price (rebate expires soon) so i figured might as well buy one now then later.  I'm only going for 802.11b, it's pointless getting 802.11a for me.  So I just want to cash in the deal.

Would my setup situation work?  If it works than I would like to know.

Thanks.

i already said it would work

AT THE OFFICE.

for home, use AD HOC... are you clear?

Thanks for the attitude but I really don't want to use AD-HOC because that would require me to buy pci wireless. I don't need wireless on the pcs and i already have lan cards. i only want wireless for the laptop. I have 2 wireless routers, 1 for work and 1 for home. Leave the work one as is because that'll do fine.

Now at home I want internet connection through the other wireless router. Not AD-HOC (not this time). Also because I have several pcs I want to connect them all together via wire and only laptop via wireless. I don't care for speed because eventually I'll move up to dsl but not just yet. For the moment I want to share 56k through the wireless router (ICS-winxp), say D-link DI-614+ or Linksys BEFW11S4 ver.2. Will the 56k connection work for the laptop?? subsquent desktops should be fine.

A simple yes or no would be really helpful as opposed to the confusion hints to get AD-HOC.

Thanks for the attitude but I really don't want to use AD-HOC because that would require me to buy pci wireless. ?I don't need wireless on the pcs and i already have lan cards. ?i only want wireless for the laptop. ?I have 2 wireless routers, 1 for work and 1 for home. ?Leave the work one as is because that'll do fine.

Now at home I want internet connection through the other wireless router. ?Not AD-HOC (not this time). ?Also because I have several pcs I want to connect them all together via wire and only laptop via wireless. ?I don't care for speed because eventually I'll move up to dsl but not just yet. ?For the moment I want to share 56k through the wireless router (ICS-winxp), say D-link DI-614+ or Linksys BEFW11S4 ver.2. ?Will the 56k connection work for the laptop?? ?subsquent desktops should be fine.

A simple yes or no would be really helpful as opposed to the confusion hints to get AD-HOC.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place, no AD HOC?

until you bring home the router, for permant use, this will be a pain for you...

To begin, you cannot find any Wireless router that will let you input a dialup modem..

so therefore.... in order for this to possiDIALUP (primary source) >>> ICS >> NIC on Desktop >> plugged in the router... >> WLAN Fwrds your ethernet from its AP, ot your desktop via Infrustucture.. ure..

i said AD HOC because it's the easier solution. you wouldn't need to go through the router. the router itself, will just act as a switch.

i'm not even sure what you're asking is possible, but the format i posted above is how you attempt it.

Edited by xStainDx

yesyes. thank you so much. sorry for my attitude before. i was frustrated going in circular logic. could you explain that method in the prev post again? This part specifically

WLAN Fwrds your ethernet from its AP

thanks

yesyes. ?thank you so much. ?sorry for my attitude before. ?i was frustrated going in circular logic. ?could you explain that method in the prev post again? ?This part specifically
WLAN Fwrds your ethernet from its AP

thanks

Whats going to happen is this..

you're going to dialup via your dialup modem, you'll have Internet Connection Sharing Enabled, this will hook up your Desktop NIC with your Laptop Card. Hopefully accomplishing what you want.

Modem > Desktop NIC > ICS > Router > Laptop Card.

The Laptop card, will communicate with the router, via Infrustructure.