[pic] Windows 98 ATM

Snapped this pic today at an ATM machine near my house :D it's gonna be a hard time getting cash from there!

post-49195-1176380037_thumb.jpg

At least it's not a BSOD ;)

Yeah a lot of machines like that use Windows in England at least.

Like Job Points at the job centre, ATM's, or those Self-Serve Pay-Points in supermarkets. They're all using Windows NT.

Makes you wonder why they need all those desktop shortcuts just for a lowly ATM though.

XP......

....... Floppy?

Does not compute!

I remember when I went to America, I put my (british) Cirrus card into an ATM. ANd it broke the machine.

So I went to another, and I broke that one as well. I came by later and a guy was servicing them both, the innards.

Oops. Sorry if you live in Tukwila. >.>

Most ATM's use an embedded version of Windows XP in Canada now.

Lazer Cash, BMO, TD, they use Windows XP Embedded or Windows CE

How old are those ATM's? I haven't seen any with those huge buttons in years.

I worked at a store once where the one we had in there messed up and it was running XP. A guy come in and fixed it pretty quick and I didn't get a chance to see exactly how he did it. He was pretty quick about it. I did see him plug something in that looked like a PS2 port, but that's it. You have to figure that there's a port for a keyboard somewhere in it to let them control it.

How old are those ATM's? I haven't seen any with those huge buttons in years.

I worked at a store once where the one we had in there messed up and it was running XP. A guy come in and fixed it pretty quick and I didn't get a chance to see exactly how he did it. He was pretty quick about it. I did see him plug something in that looked like a PS2 port, but that's it. You have to figure that there's a port for a keyboard somewhere in it to let them control it.

The banks in Canada still have those "huge" buttons on them ... th ink about it, the elderly can't easily touch small buttons so they make em 'huge' for them.

Wow, that is some seriously old tech.

Here in Canada, most banks have upgraded their systems recently. Specially CIBC, but I use TD Canada Trust, which also has a pretty nice system.

So with the right know-how and a keyboard you could do the ATM over?

If you could open the machine and get access to the keyboard port, I'm pretty sure It would be easier to just grab the money from inside the machine rather than fiddling around with a keyboard trying to get it to eject money. :blink:

^^ its relatively easy to find the keyboard port, to make it eject money is neigh on impossible from what i kno, but its more difficult still to access the money. Dont ask how i kno.. i just do :shiftyninja:

^^ its relatively easy to find the keyboard port, to make it eject money is neigh on impossible from what i kno, but its more difficult still to access the money. Dont ask how i kno.. i just do :shiftyninja:

*asks anyway*

how do you know?

Not going to name where I saw it as it is against rules to point this stuff out, but I remember seeing on a site where they gave certain key sequences to hit on the machine, and it would access the setup menus. There was a guy who would program the machines to dispense an extra bill for each one he withdrew so he ended up doubling the money. The machine would only think it gave 1 instead of two at a time.

He eventually got nabbed like most people out there who brag about it too much.