Car makers hate Canadians

Why?

Because:

• They charge us more for exactly same models built at the same plant. Canadians have to pay at least 5% extra for models made in Canada/U.S. and upto 25% for models imported from Europe. Example: VW GTI in U.S. starts at $22,000USD ($24,200CAD), but it starts at $26,000USD (29,000CAD) in Canada. The gap gets wider for more expensive cars;
  • They charge us more for options. Same reason as above;
  • They offer us less options than they do anywhere else. Example: GPS is not offered on VW GTI, Honda Civic, 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer in Canada, but it is available in the U.S on these exact same models assembled at the same plant;
  • They don't provide warranty in Canada for cars purchased in the U.S;

The automotive industry is Canada's largest manufacturing sector, accounting for 12% of our GDP. Canada ranks 8th in the World for motor vehicle production. We export about 80% of all vehicles we produce to the U.S. and account for 16.5% of North American production. Source.

This is just sad and frustrating, because Canadian car consumers are at such a big disadvantage compared to the rest of the World, namely U.S. and Europe.

Have you stopped to think that some of those things might be due to government regulations (the warranty one in particular) and taxes (the price)?

Hmmm... Anti-Canadian conspiracy, or different regulations in different countries? You decide.

true .. thats why i usually fly down to the US, buy the car I want with cash, drive it back,paying tax&gst when i cross the border.

Soon it will be an Audi A5, affordable enough with US prices, and at least 20% more after conversion in canadian dollars.

We get screwed alot on car prices

Have you stopped to think that some of those things might be due to government regulations (the warranty one in particular) and taxes (the price)?

Yes I did. That's why I comprared MSRP prices, taxes are extra and I don't complain about having to pay extra sales tax, I complain about higher base prices.

As for warranty, if Americans come to Canada to buy car, they will be covered in the U.S.

true .. thats why i usually fly down to the US, buy the car I want with cash, drive it back,paying tax&gst when i cross the border.

Soon it will be an Audi A5, affordable enough with US prices, and at least 20% more after conversion in canadian dollars.

We get screwed alot on car prices

Good luck. Audi Canada will not cover it though, so if anything happens you will have to pay to fix your car in Canada or drive back to U.S. or buy third party warranty. In any case, it will cost you.

As for regulations, all new cars exceed all governmental regulations and on top of that, like I previously said, they are identical copies, made at the same plant.

Yes I did. That's why I comprared MSRP prices, taxes are extra and I don't complain about having to pay extra sales tax, I complain about higher base prices.

As for warranty, if Amercians come to Canada to buy car, they will be covered in the U.S.

I wasn't referring to sales taxes, but other types of taxes that you never really directly see, the ones paid by the manufacturers to the government (these are hidden in the base price). On the warranty, it's possible that the Canadian government won't allow them to honor the warranty on a car bought outside Canada, but the US government doesn't have a regulation like that.

As I said, its likely that most of your complaints should be directed at your government, not at the car companies (especially if this type of thing is consistant between all car companies).

I wasn't referring to sales taxes, but other types of taxes that you never really directly see, the ones paid by the manufacturers to the government (these are hidden in the base price). On the warranty, it's possible that the Canadian government won't allow them to honor the warranty on a car bought outside Canada, but the US government doesn't have a regulation like that.

As I said, its likely that most of your complaints should be directed at your government, not at the car companies (especially if this type of thing is consistant between all car companies).

It's not taxes, it's not regulations. Does NAFTA ring a bell? It's corporate greed. And the reason for that is the exchange rate. U.S. dollar fell, but car makers didn't bother to lower prices in Canada. Trust me, I've read a lot on this issue.

Example: Honda makes Civics in Canada and then sells them in both Canadian and U.S. markets, according to you, it should cost more in U.S., because of export/import tariff. But it does cost more in Canada, where it was produced at an Ontraio plant.

I love Canada. It's a beautiful country.

The only problem with Canada is

it's full of Canadians. :p

:o How long have you been sitting on this information?

-Ax

I can tell you right now that you are so full of **** on the part that the government won't allow them to honor the warrenty. I bought a 2003 honda civic from the US and oh guess what i can take it into any honda dealer and get it serviced under warrenty.

Auto makers have not adjusted their prices to reflect the strong Canadian dollar and the typical new vehicle now costs 17 per cent more in Canada than in the United States, according to a study by DesRosiers Automotive Consultants...

DesRosiers sees five factors behind relatively high Canadian pricing:

• Prices in Canadian dollars remain flat.
  • Stable prices "have a lot of merit. Drop prices too quickly and consumers will just wait for the next price decrease."
  • The economy and the vehicle market are strong and manufacturers "can get away with these prices.
  • Some foreign auto makers have most of their costs in home-market currencies, not U.S. dollars, and have little or no exchange-rate advantage.
  • Profits in Canada "have been very lean for a long time."

Read more here.

SOURCE

Example: VW GTI in U.S. starts at $22,000USD ($24,200CAD), but it starts at $26,000USD (29,000CAD) in Canada.

This is just sad and frustrating, because Canadian car consumers are at such a big disadvantage compared to the rest of the World, namely U.S. and Europe.

Uhhhuh....

The cheapest Golf GTI in the UK is ?20500... That's $41000 USD or $45800 CAD.

Still think you are getting ripped off?

In Ireland, the same car is ?35600 - or ?24300, $48400USD or $54300 CAD.

Uhhhuh....

The cheapest Golf GTI in the UK is ?20500... That's $41000 USD or $45800 CAD.

Still think you are getting ripped off?

In Ireland, the same car is ?35600 - or ?24300, $48400USD or $54300 CAD.

At least you are getting all the options like :DS :D

You can also add 14% sales tax to my numbers to feel a little bet;)r ;)

Who the hell decided not to offer navigation to all sub $30K cars in Canada?

Marketing-based descrimitation must be outlawed!

Why?

Because:

• They charge us more for exactly same models built at the same plant. Canadians have to pay at least 5% extra for models made in Canada/U.S. and upto 25% for models imported from Europe. Example: VW GTI in U.S. starts at $22,000USD ($24,200CAD), but it starts at $26,000USD (29,000CAD) in Canada. The gap gets wider for more expensive cars;
  • They charge us more for options. Same reason as above;
  • They offer us less options than they do anywhere else. Example: GPS is not offered on VW GTI, Honda Civic, 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer in Canada, but it is available in the U.S on these exact same models assembled at the same plant;
  • They don't provide warranty in Canada for cars purchased in the U.S;

The automotive industry is Canada's largest manufacturing sector, accounting for 12% of our GDP. Canada ranks 8th in the World for motor vehicle production. We export about 80% of all vehicles we produce to the U.S. and account for 16.5% of North American production. Source.

Stop paying for your cars with beer and doughnuts then.

europeans and canadians sure do bitch alot when it comes to prices and yet don't realize how little they actually pay for their living when they consider all the socialized programs they hardly have to pay into. people in the united states pay overall more to live than any canadian and they still bitch while people in the US take it all in stride.

europeans and canadians sure do bitch alot when it comes to prices and yet don't realize how little they actually pay for their living when they consider all the socialized programs they hardly have to pay into. people in the united states pay overall more to live than any canadian and they still bitch while people in the US take it all in stride.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Anyway, isn't this more of a supply & demand issue, rather than greed?

Edited by sin-ergy

Hmmm... Anti-Canadian conspiracy, or different regulations in different countries? You decide.

I don't think he has the capacity for that decision.

It isn't small change and little taxes, take a look at Luxury cars like the Cadillac Escalade

US Price from Cadillac.com $55 750

CND Price from Cadillac.com $76 490

where did the $20 000 go? not the exchange because $55 750 USD = $62 283.9 CND w

which leaves ~14 000 difference, thats huge

i'm drug and alcohol free! here's a tip. don't buy cars brand new if you donm't like the price. nobody buys a brand new car anyway unless they either love debt or can easily afford it. besides, isn't a small price to pay so you can live in the "kinder gentler america"? as i said, deal with it. besides, greed is an awesome thing. only poor losers who make excuses hate greed.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Anyway, isn't this more of a supply & demand issue, rather than greed?