Mount a network folder to a folder instead of a drive?

Hi, all

i am very new to this forum (this is is my first entry ;-) )

kevinmd88 i have an idea that just might fit your needs.

mybe not 100% but well it kinda runs semi automatic.

there is a program called allway sync which you could use to solve your problem.

it has a automatic sync mode which could be used to auto sync your files between the savegames folder and the network drive (wich is mounted to the savegames folder on the other computer)

if you play mostly on your main computer (PC-A from now on) and you set up your secondary computer (PC-B) like this:

drive z:\ is network drive to PC-A\savegames

then you add a job in AllwaySync on PC-B to sync between drive z: and savegames on PC-B. i think you will be fine.

if for any reason auto sync does not work. you can manually start allwaysync and hit the synchronize button for the "savegames" job before and after each game on PC-B and you will be fine.

btw the program is free if you dont exceed a certain ammount of synced files per month (which is pretty high)

i love this program and use it to sync my university files between my pc @ home, my laptop, my backup usbHDD and my pc@ my girlfriends place (yes geeks like me can have girlfriends ;-))

so i hope my post will help you

best regards

funkyhead

• 1 year later...

I am having a similar issue and I believe a solution doesn't exist :(

I have an Ubuntu Backup Server, and I need to mount "C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\My Pictures" to my remote Ubuntu-Backup Server which is already mapped on my XP machine as "X:\My Pictures"

But as kevinmd88 mentioned earlier, Junction can't create junctions (symlinks) to remote directories, neither can LinkMagic (since it is just a GUI for Junction), or LinkShellExtention

So, there seems to be no solution for this in M$ Land :(

Thank you M$ for playing nicely with others :x

• 9 months later...

But can't the Map Drive feature already do this? Just select "None" in drive letter! Isn't this what you're looking for?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...t.mspx?mfr=true

Where Z is a mapped drive:

subst z: c:\z-drive

I've tried this (AND EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS THREAD) but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone in this universe tell me how with a windows 7 box and a linksys NAS 200 device make the NAS drive seem to other programs be like a local drive? I've searched the entire internet today and nobody can seem to do this. I've tried subst, I've tried mklink, I've tried Netdrive, I've tried adding to windows 7 library, I've tried you name it and I've tried it. The absolute only think i found taht actualyl really seemed to work is create a volume using TrueCrypt and mounting it but I'm not sure how I trust having GB's of all my data encrypted into a single file and I tried formatting a 200GB file and it said it would take 14 hours to complete. This will actualyl work but didn't like to have to go throguh all that. WHY CAN"T YOU JUST POINT a drive to a network folder or change the type of a network folder to be a local drive? BTW you can't map a drive and say "NONE" in the drive letters unless your version of windows is more special than mine LOL

thanks,

Jon

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_featu..._Windows_Vista:

"The drive mapping dialog box no longer allows a network path to be mapped without assigning a local drive letter to it."

Touch luck. No wonder people hated this OS. But you can still create a shortcut by right clicking on empty space -> New -> Shortcut -> \\Servername\Sharename.

Edited by tuxplorer

• 5 weeks later...

I found a solution by tryed a bit arround:

mount the drive via net, so that you can add the login/password (Don't exactly know if you have to do it with anonymous and if you have to fill in a destination path -> type: net use /?)

- net use \\whatever\you\like /USER: username password

create symbolic link of a path to the share (c:\funny\path\ must exist, c:\funny\path\here will be created)

- mklink /d c:\funny\path\here \\whatever\you\like

works for me on win7 ,)

• 5 weeks later...

In summary, I want the following path:

C:\Folder1\Folder2\Etc\ThisFolder

to point to:

\\somecomputer\NetFolder

Does anyone know of an XP feature that will do this? If not, is there any 3rd party software that will do this?

It's built in to Windows 7, and Windows 2008 server.

For Windows 7 Users searching for this, use the following command:

1. start cmd.exe as and administrator

2. mklink /d <target> <path>

example as above

c:\> mklink /d c:\Folder1\Folder2\Etc\ThisFolder \\somecomputer\Netfolder

symbolic link created for c:\Folder1\Folder2\Etc\ThisFolder <<===>> \\somecomputer\Netfolder

3. Now you can browse c:\Folder1\Folder2\Etc\ThisFolder \\somecomputer\Netfolder and explorer will view it as a localized path.

I'm pretty sure there is 3rd party app for XP,2000,2003.

Hope this helps anyone else in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what you do and this worked for me in XP!

1. In the Windows file explorer, put your server share in the address bar i.e. \\server\share1

2. Drag the folder link under your server share in "Microsoft Windows Network" to "My Network Places" which creates a shortcut folder under "My Network Places".

3. To get it under a drive letter, go to c:\documents and settings\username\NetHood and find the shortcut folder.

4. Move it to your desired location.

Accessing the files this way works fine for me from file explorer and applications. In my case, I'm accessing a Quicken file on a NAS box and building Delphi applications on a 2003 server.

Jaddwooka