Laptop Screen Problem

I have been handed this laptop recently being the "computer guy", the lower half of the screen is not displaying correctly, instead a stripped green block is in its place. I have opened her up and gave a good look around, after pressing on the pannel (left hand side - that being facing the screen) half way up at the edge restores the image. The laptop is a Inspirion 6000. What do you guys think it is. I reckon i could replace the pannel or is it just the inverter. I have included some pictuers, any advice on what to try would be good, thanks.

post-69863-1182007900_thumb.jpg

post-69863-1182008077.jpg

I had the exact same thing actually, but an inspiron 9300 (funny that squeezing the left border also fixed mine temporarily too lol)

I just had my screen replaced and it fixed it, havent had an issue since

This machine isnt under dell warrenty, strange it was the inspiron line as well. Its not the onboard gfx as i can use a external monitor with it as well. If i could fix this cheaply i would much pefer it than getting a new pannel for it. But if it comes to it it will have to be that. Any one know a good place to pick up a replacement pannel.

1)Update the bios to the most current version.

2)Connect to an external monitor to see if you get the same problem:

-if you get the same problem then it it is either the systemboard or the video card(if the laptop has a separate video card).

-if not, then it is either the lcd panel, the inverter, or the lcd cable. Since you can see the windows, then it is not the inverter.

Reseat the lcd cable and if the problem still exists then it is the lcd panel needs to be replaced. It's very unlikely that the lcd cable is defective in this case.

Hope this helps.

Bye.

i answerd all but one of those questions in previous posts, however the last point about the cable i have also checked. It must well be the pannel, i have set the monitor alot tighter in the frame and wedged some plastic down one side, this facilitates the pressure on the left side and keeps the image normal 90% of the time. I will look into purchasing a new pannel for it. Please feel free to drop a comment or any other advise, its not qutie case closed yet.

-check the lcd cable to see if there is a tear

-check the lcd connectors of the lcd cable and on the systemboard to see if there are any bent pins.

-if the lcd cable has no tear and looks fine and there are no bent pins, then replace the lcd panel.

Hope this helps.

bye.

It's the panel, man. My Acer Ferrari has the same deal. It's a bit different. The whole screen is messed up but you can regain video at times by squeezing the top left. I just need to replace the panel.

@helba,ringo1 - yeah its the pannel managed to get hold of another one for testing from a friends laptop. I will replace it asap.