Is IKEA a reliable store?

Their shipping tho is crazy. The cost of shipping to ship a Jerker desk to my house was more than the desk itself. Its worth driving to an Ikea store too, you'll never see any other store like it. Plus 79cent breakfast :D

...but the closest IKEA store to me is in Long Island, which is 7 hours away from me.

Your name tag says New York and LI is about 7 hours aways. Would the New Haven CT be closer to you? Also, never had any problems with Ikea furniture, 2 computer desks, bed room set that survived 3 moves with out any problems :)

Ikea stuff is good for the first year or so, after that u better get something new because it will start to fall apart on u.

~X

really? one of my desks from ikea has been around for almost 5 years and still going strong.

Xavier: Their "cheapest" stuff is very cheap and ot really built to last - and they near as damnit admit this.

Also, with regards to shipping: I feel that this was never part of their model - they are a warehouse. As such, the price shipping so that 99% of customers just won't bother.

Hmm, yeah, you can probably get similar furniture from somewhere closer, and overall it will be cheaper.

I have my desk and chair from IKEA, got them a few months ago. So far everything seems fine and the desk seems pretty solid. Things last longer when you take good care of them, so I won't be getting a cheap bed frame.

Wow, you're going for the same bed frame that I have, and the Same DESK!! hehe..

I like them both. but one thing about the bed is that its LOW.. most US mattresses are thick a bulky, at least the one that i have. So if you plan to the bed get a mattress that is bit thinner, so you could fully enjoy the design of the bed or else you'll end up like me where you can't see the bed frame in the back because of the Thick mattress.

Ikea is not the best quality i'll tell you that for sure, but they do have some neat designs which are nice.

Goodluck, :D

Things last longer when you take good care of them, so I won't be getting a cheap bed frame.

Kleenex please...

Reyazi: Ikea do sell high-end stuff also, usually not as prominantly as it doesn't account for the mass of their sales, but they do stock some!

well let me see, that first bed is only $149, thats only like ?80

you get what you pay for in the world of furniture and i would certainly want to spend alot more then ?80 on a bed!!

I only like IKEA for little things like, shelves, plates, decoration and maybe the odd chair

i would not go to IKEA to buy my main furniture, especially beds and sofas

totally agree.

I have a queen-sized MALM bed in black-brown color, along with the matching nightstands. The side rails on the bed are approx. 3" thick, and the headboard is close to 2" thick. Sure, it's particle board covered in a veneer, but it's pretty good quality stuff. My friend has had the same bed for two years. His has seen quite a bit of "action", and it has held up well.:whistle:e:

"it's particle board covered in a veneer" says it all.

IKEA = MDF! It looks nice but it isn't designed to last for an overtly long time. Consider it 'fashionable furniture for less' but as someone else said, you get what you pay for. There shelves are generally good though, although I can't comment on their beds.

Agreed.

When the heel of a stiletto can go straight through the top of your new table, you know you've just bought a piece of ****

So worth it thoug:p:p

Jeez, again - NOT ALL IKEA IS PARTCLE BOARD.

Buy some of their upper-end wardrobes, and they are solid wood. Not sure what mine are but they have the look of a dark oak or maybe a cherry. But they are solid, not mdf, not particleboard. And they were a right pain to get up to the bedroom.

Not sure if you've changed your mind or not, but if you want to go to an Ikea closer to Rochester, go to the one in Canada at Burlington. It's about 45 minutes from the border so maybe around 2 hours from Rochester. If you buy enough, you can even get some tax back too at the border.