Intel CPU thermal paste

Probly a stupid question but I want to make sure. I just removed the heatsink from my Intel E4300 and noticed a gray substance on the top of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink. I've attached pictures. I just want to clarify that this is normal and is supposed to be there. Thanks.

post-51387-1183785278_thumb.jpg

post-51387-1183785291_thumb.jpg

Yes it does and I think that is actually Arctic Silver 5 Paste which is the best paste around for all CPUs IMO. If you want to put a new coating, make sure you clean it first with alcohol pads or isopropyl alcohol.

Yes it does and I think that is actually Arctic Silver 5 Paste which is the best paste around for all CPUs IMO. If you want to put a new coating, make sure you clean it first with alcohol pads or isopropyl alcohol.
Thanks. My next question was about how to remove it...

Gray it is supposed to be black!!! This means that your paste is expired and is no longer Pasty enough to do its job!!! I concur with naughty dog, clean and replace asap. Just kidding but yeah put a new layer on there mate.

just realize it needs to be there in order for your computer to function properly. So if you remove it you need to apply new thermal paste.

If you want the Arctic Silver 5 paste, you can get it here for about $10 with shiiping and tax included and it is a good product. BTW if I store it in a room that has the highest temperature of 110^f, will the paste not work anymore for future purposes since it is hot here in L.A.? I also put it in a small shoebox where I keep extra AV cables if that is suitable enough.