AMD cuts prices on its desktop CPUs

July 9, 2007 8:55 AM PDT

AMD cuts prices on its desktop CPUs

Posted by Matthew Elliott

In its ongoing battle with rival Intel, AMD announced the latest round of desktop CPU price cuts today. According to the list the company shared with us this morning, the price cuts mean that all of the company's dual-core Athlon 64 X2 processors will be priced at less than $200, with the top-end Athlon 64 X2 6000+ now selling for $178. The two low-end models in AMD's dual-core line, the Athlon X2 3600+ and 3800+, have been dropped, making the Athlon X2 4000+ the new entry-level dual-core model at $73.

In the high-end Athlon 64 FX line, strangely both the FX-72 and FX-74 now sell for the same price of $599 a pair. AMD's single-core Athlon 64 chips now range in price from $48 (Athlon 64 3200+) to $78 (Athlon 64 4000+). The budget Sempron line now starts at $31 for the Sempron 3200+ chip and goes up to $53 for the Sempron 3800+. It's hard to see how there's room for single-core processors when prices for nearly half of AMD's dual-core Athlon 64 X2 chips have crept well below the $100 mark.

Prices for AMD's mobile chips remain unchanged.

For its part, Intel is expected to cut prices on July 22 for its quad-core desktop and server chips prior to AMD's Barcelona introduction in August. 'Round and 'round we go.

Source: news.com blog

talk about dirt cheap prices! I may have to build an AMD machine soon ...

This is why I still buy AMD. You get a system that can do the job and you don't need a spend a ton on the processor.

Sure, they might not have the kick that Intel Core 2 Duo's have, but the price makes them more worth buying, in general.

Where I work Intel CPU's are only ordered if someone especially asks for one. Otherwise they get an AMD Athlon 3800+ if they ask for a basic PC.

I wonder what AMD is waiting to lower it's quad core to the $200 level like intel is going to do... I mean what's the point of selling lower-performing quad offering at a higher price than the intel Q6600 ? ALthough I do recall reading somewhere that AMDs quad cost more to manufacture than Intels, because it's 2 processors or something like that...

The reason I ask is because, I would like to upgrade next month and buying a dual capable mobo will be sweet for Phenom when it comes!!! Octocore ready mobo...