task bar freezes, rest of comp fine

I have been having a seriously annoying problem lately involving my taskbar. When the computer starts everything is fine, until I try to click on my volume control. It pops up and then immediately disappears. After this happens, my taskbar is completely unresponsive. I click and click and click and all I get is the annoying da-ding sound. The start button works fine and the rest of the computer is fine, but I have to resort to using alt+tab to change between windows. Any solutions?

My system is as follows:

hp dv6000t laptop

1.8 core 2 duo T5600

2 gb of ram

nvidia 7400 go

conextant hd audio

vista home premium

wireless ms keyboard and mouse

wifi and bt

etc.

• 3 weeks later...
definitely a driver issue...

Sure, but what driver? I've reinstalled the sound and video drivers numerous times. Chipset driver? I've reinstalled that as well.

• 2 months later...

Well this post is a couple months old but I just recently had this very problem and was somehow able to correct it without a reformat. Problem is I couldn't tell you exactly what it was that fixed it. However I believe it was one of the two following things. So if anyone is having this prob try these steps seperately and see if one or the other fixes it.

First thing is bring up the volume mixer. Usually you click the word "Mixer" on the slider window that pops up when clicking on the speaker icon. As this is a problem because the slider disappears imediately, just right click on the icon and choose "Open Volume Mixer". Once this is open, slide all the sliders back up to 100 and close it. Now try once again to bring up the regular slider by clicking on the icon.

And if that didn't correct it.. anwser this question.. is your Windows Side Bar enabled and on the right side? I moved mine to the left thinking there was a problem with the bar not allowing the slider to be seen. Or it interfering with the drawing of the slider window. Perhaps moving it fixed it. Either way those are the two steps I did just before my slider started working properly again.

I also did this after a fresh start and not after the bar was frozen. So it may not unfreeze the bar, but it will return it back to usuable state if u do it after a restart. Someone can try with it froze and see it it unfreezes it.

At any rate, try one and post back if you figure out which actually fixed it. And I hope it solves our prob from now on cause man it was annoying having my taskbar freeze up like that. :\

• 6 months later...

I have had the same problem, it seems to be an update for the SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec, once i rolled back the driver the problem went away.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Device Manager

Under Sound, video and game controllers you should find SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec.

Right click on it and select properties.

Click on the Driver tab.

Then click the Rollback Driver button.

After you do this you should only need to logoff windows and then log back on.