AOL ditches Kaspersky for McAfee

well at least we have this:

Kaspersky security suite 7, free SIX MONTH trial>

they released version 7 this morning, and with it a free 6 month trial by clicking this link.

http://www.kaspersky-labs.co.uk/trials/reg/kis7/

Nice! I still can wait before buying it:pp (was using the Beta of KIS 7 since long time)

McAfee and Kaspersky are the top 2 when it comes to detection rates from what I seen and experienced. People can say what they want but McAfee does no suck when it comes to detecting and cleaning/removing viruses, trojans, worms, etc....

everything you just said is joke, i used to use mcafee, and while it was very very easy to use/setup kaspersky is doing a much better job.

i believe NOD32 and kaspersky are the top 2 anti-virus right now, last time i check mcafee was #7.

virus's while using mcafee = 3 or 4 resulting in format/reinstall of windows

virus's while using kaspersky = 0

so the only ones from mcafee were serious enough i had to reinstall windows =\

everything you just said is joke, i used to use mcafee, and while it was very very easy to use/setup kaspersky is doing a much better job.

i believe NOD32 and kaspersky are the top 2 anti-virus right now, last time i check mcafee was #7.

virus's while using mcafee = 3 or 4 resulting in format/reinstall of windows

virus's while using kaspersky = 0

so the only ones from mcafee were serious enough i had to reinstall windows =\

what did you get the viruses from?

Maybe they are doing this based on name recognition??

That is a good point, everybody only knows 2 antiviruses, Norton and Mcafee

^ That still doesn't mean AOL should dump Kaspersky because of name recognition. They are only shrinking the AV market when they go ahead and use Norton or McAfee instead of the better, more efficient alternatives such as Kaspersky and NOD32.

Well I downloaded and installed it. I have to say I am initially quite happy with it. I had AVS on my machine, but after reading all the CHKDSK issues people were having (mine had a short pause at stage 2) and how this could be a real problem I uninstalled it and re-imaged my computer and put f-secure back on (free from my ISP). Well with the new F-Secure (2007) I was having firewall problems....it would disconnect me from my Cable internet connection about once an hour. So now to this. It takes less resources than F-Secure, with the same features (virus, spyware, and firewall). It probably uses 20-30 MB less RAM, and about 30 MB more RAM than AVS and Comodo (or any other firewall) used. So bloat is not a real issue. It is not a very userfriendly program, you really have to hunt for advanced settings (I assume made that way by design). It's detection rates, while not as good as Kaspersky or AVS, are still quite good, and you get a free firewall too. I for one am happy with it (so far).

We have McAfee at the office.

It's a horrible program. The updater is a nightmare of CPU hoggage.

The only thing worse is Norton.

We have McAfee at the office.

It's a horrible program. The updater is a nightmare of CPU hoggage.

The only thing worse is Norton.

Tell me about it. Our corporate network uses ePO and McAfee. It's like twice the nightmare. I usually just disable mine. :wacko:

A few years back we had a chance to switch to something else, but no one wanted to commit to distributing something else, so they decided to just 'upgrade' to the newer version of McAfee. What a mistake that was.

• 4 weeks later...
Bad BAD move by AOL

Oh well, their loss. It seem like some companies just can't stop shooting them selves in the foot.

At least it still is on there servers and can be downloaded. Just because they aren't promoting it anymore doesn't mean anything. Like I said there contract is with McAfee. Sad but TRUE.