Req: Guide on Overclocking nVidia GeForce FX 5500

Well hello all.

I've thought about overclocking my whole PC but it would overheat easily so I thought about overclocking my graphics card which is a GeForce FX 5500, is there a way to overclock it? And if yes what will increase? will it overheat quickly? What are the disadvantages of overclocking a graphics card? What are the advantages of overclocking a video/graphics card? So overall I'd like a guide on how to overclock this card and if it's possible with pictures/video, IF possible. Also, please answer my questions above please if you can. Again my graphics card is:

nVidia GeForce XFX 5500

256 MB

AGP

Thank you in advance,

Yamajee.

i believe rivatuner will do it, its fairly simple

you can overclock the cards core speed and memory speed, how much you can oc it depends on what kind of cooling the card has

extra heat is a disadvantage, it will be slightly faster though, probbably not by much though.

i have a 128mb version of the card from leadtek with a stock cooler, which really sucks but anyway i've managed to oc it too a stable 296/430

stock speeds were i believe 270 core / 400 memory.. all cards will be different in regards to how much you can oc it.

i'll leave it up to someone else to explain how to actually do it

Edited by .charlie

I really don't think you are going to get anything extra from that card to be honest. Overclocking it will give you 1% increase in performace prehaps and you run the risk of more heat. I would just leave it as standard but if you are still interested, what .charlie said Rivatuner will do the job for you.

playing many games in high detail graphics might still be out of reach on old agp cards depending on the games you play,

tell us what games you play/want to play and define 'reasonable price' as a currency and we can help pick a nice card for you.

Umm, well I mostly play World of Warcraft and to change from AGP to PCI, what do I have to do? Any prices that are under $250. I've got a ATI RADEON 9200 FAMILY on my other pc which I haven't used in a long time, can I use it? Is it better than my nVidia GeForce FX 5500? My motherboard is Socket 478 Northwood Pentium 4 Dual processors up to 4.8GHz, that's what the World of warcraft test my system said. Please answer my questions and I'll reply.

radeon 9200's come in pci and agp. dont confuse pci with pci-e they are differant. if your going to stick to agp cards you probably could find something decent for under $250

if you want to use pci-e cards your going to need a motherboard that supports it, then you'd need to spend money a pci-e graphics card aswell.

I've contacted the nearest computer shop and he said that he's going to get me a GeForce FX 6200 AGP 256MB. Is it good?

sounds like he wants to offload his old crap on you. do not buy that card, if you really want to go agp there are better cards available within your budget from both ati and nvidia. your better off checking out a few online stores, i'd recommend some to youm but i dont know what country your from.

the 8 series would benefit you the most... there's a great range from the crappy 8400 to the top end 8800s... all depends on your budget. but keep in mind theyre all pci-e and you have agp. you'll be limited to something in the 7800 series. perhaps a 7800GS?

• 4 weeks later...

The best AGP cards are as follows (in no particular order):

7900GS

7800GS

7950GT

X1950pro

x1950xt <best

Keep in my that these cards are pretty tough to find now though. The easiest to find are probably the x1950pro and the 7900GS out of which I would choose the x1950pro.