[Official] Doctor Who Thread

Moffat confessed working on 'Who' will be stressful.

Speaking to Coming Soon at the San Diego Comic Con, Moffat also discussed his excitement at taking over showrunning duties from Russell T. Davies.

Moffat said: "Well, I suppose it's daunting, but I've run television shows before so that's alright. I always say I'm daunted but I'm not really. I'm just terribly excited. It's just such a fantastic job to have. It's a very exciting job so what's the point in wasting time stressing about it?

"Of course it'll be stressful! Whatever I do next will be stressful. Doctor Who will probably be more stressful than anything else but it'll be more fun. And it's probably the biggest job in, certainly, British television. I think it is. It really is. So why waste time being frightened of it?"

Moffat was cagey when quizzed about speculation that Tom Baker would make a cameo appearance during his tenure and that Neil Gaiman would write an episode, giving a "no comment" response for both rumours.

Digitalspy

The Hot Fuzz actor, who appeared in the cult sci-fi show as a guest star in 2005, admitted that he would not want to replace David Tennant for fear of ruining the series.

He said: "Being the Doctor? I don't think I'd do it for two reasons. One, I'm really loving doing movies. I'm really enjoying working in the US. Second, I really love Doctor Who and I'd hate to have to sit down every Saturday night and have it be me.

"David's done such an incredible job, he's gonna be a tough act to follow. It would feel awful if I just went and balled up the franchise by just being rubbish."

Pegg's next film How To Lose Friends & Alienate People, in which he co-stars with Gillian Anderson and Megan Fox, is scheduled for release in the UK on October 3.

Digitalspy

Tennant better stay on for a few more series, I think he's great, and is a better doctor than Eccelston was, and obviously loves playing the part.

Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla

Thank you so much.

Your a star! :D

Doctor Who fans will get to see a specially-filmed scene starring David Tennant at a BBC Proms concert dedicated to the sci-fi drama.

The concert features music from the series, as well as classical favourites from composers including Holst and Wagner on the theme of space and time.

The special scene will be shown during the interval at London's Royal Albert Hall and on the show's website.

Fans can listen to the concert on BBC Radio 3 from 1100 BST.

Actress Freema Agyeman, who played Martha - the last-but-one assistant to Tennant's Doctor - will host Sunday's event.

The special scene has been written by Russell T Davies, who masterminded Doctor Who's return to TV screens in 2005 and announced recently he would be stepping down as executive producer from 2010.

It is the first appearance of Doctor Who at the BBC Proms, although a concert dedicated to the series was held at Cardiff's Millennium Centre in 2006 to raise money for Children In Need.

A special Doctor Who-themed event at the Proms has been hailed as a success by Russell T. Davies.

"We've had a brilliant time," the showrunner told BBC News. "If you were in the Royal Albert Hall, you would have had a unique Doctor Who experience."

A pre-recorded scene featuring David Tennant as The Doctor was shown to the 6,000-strong crowd, while Martha Jones actress Freema Agyeman provided links to pieces of music from the show.

An array of monsters also arrived on stage, with Julian Bleach reprising his acclaimed turn as Davros.

"It's fantastic because people queued in the heat and came a long way," added Davies. "I met someone who came here from Belgium."

source

Steven Moffat has told Doctor Who fans to expect "new monsters" when he becomes the show's executive producer and lead writer.

Moffat, who is replacing executive producer Russell T Davies, was speaking at arts and comic book convention Comic-Con in California.

He told fans not to expect too many appearances from old characters.

"We're not in the business of being nostalgic, we're making nostalgia for the future, new monsters, new friends."

Doctor Who is at its best when it's brand new and you've always got to remember that there's a new bunch of eight-year-olds watching every year and it has to be original - it has to belong to them

Steven Moffat

He was responding to their questions about the possibility of guest appearances from old characters - such as ex-Doctor Who companion Sarah Jane Smith, played by Elisabeth Sladen in the 1970s - as well as old enemies.

He told the San Diego convention: "Doctor Who is at its best when it's brand new and you've always got to remember that there's a new bunch of eight-year-olds watching every year and it has to be original - it has to belong to them."

But he said continuity when old characters did return was not difficult to achieve.

"Having taken the precaution of having memorised every single event in Doctor Who's history, it's fairly easy for me to keep continuity because I remember it all.

"In the end, a television series which embraces both the ideas of parallel universe and the concept of changing time can't have a continuity error - it can't.

"It's impossible for Doctor Who to get it wrong because we can just say 'he changed time, it's a time warp, it happens'."

'Just exciting'

Moffat has already written some of the most memorable Doctor Who episodes of recent times including Blink , of series three - which featured terrifying weeping angels - for which he picked up the best writer Bafta earlier this year.

I suppose it should be daunting or nerve-wracking but, what the hell, it's not a real job like working in a hospital - it's just fun

Steven Moffat

Asked about his reputation for writing scary episodes he said: "If people are worried that because I'm taking over Doctor Who it's going to be just really, really frightening, if that's your concern then? tough."

He also spoke to fans for the first time about getting the job he has "always wanted".

The writer said the prospect of taking over from Davies for the fifth series - due to be shown on BBC One in spring 2010 - was "just exciting". It was announced he was taking the job in May.

"I suppose it should be daunting or nerve-wracking but it's not a real job like working in a hospital - it's just fun."

He added: "I mean it's hard work too but most things that are fun are hard work."

Russell T Davies

Davies will be responsible for the specials shown in 2009

Last week, Moffat denied a newspaper report that he "quit" a deal to work on Steven Spielberg's forthcoming Tintin trilogy because of the doctor Who job.

A newspaper report that he had "turned down" a two-film deal with Spielberg was "a bit misleading", he told the BBC News website.

He had planned to finish Tintin before starting Doctor Who but was delayed by the US writers' strike, he added.

Davies will remain in charge of four specials to be shown in 2009

source

And no one asked about Sally Sparrow in the interview!?

Shameful! :rofl:

A special Doctor Who-themed event at the Proms has been hailed as a success by Russell T. Davies.

"We've had a brilliant time," the showrunner told BBC News. "If you were in the Royal Albert Hall, you would have had a unique Doctor Who experience."

A pre-recorded scene featuring David Tennant as The Doctor was shown to the 6,000-strong crowd, while Martha Jones actress Freema Agyeman provided links to pieces of music from the show.

An array of monsters also arrived on stage, with Julian Bleach reprising his acclaimed turn as Davros.

"It's fantastic because people queued in the heat and came a long way," added Davies. "I met someone who came here from Belgium."

source

Lol, I'm sure it would of been great to have been there while it was going on.

I like that he wants to make Doctor Who more frightening, or at least more tense.

When getting told by old fogies (over 30s :p) that I know about how scary Daleks used to be, I think, "really, the daleks, the ones who wheel round really slowly after you?"

Then laugh at them, now if they could create something now that I could look at and think, jeez, that's some frightening stuff right there.

I would be very impressed. :D

Sally Sparrow needs to be featured in something!

Maybe we should write him a letter about our love for Sally Sparrow and how she would make the perfect companion, ahh, if only.

Not too keen on him not bothering with the old "monsters", if you just create new ones then you may as well just create an entirely new franchise.

Hopefully he'll keep the Daleks and such around, I don't think it'd go down well if he didn't.

He also sounds incredibly arrogant =\

Not too keen on him not bothering with the old "monsters", if you just create new ones then you may as well just create an entirely new franchise.

Hopefully he'll keep the Daleks and such around, I don't think it'd go down well if he didn't.

He also sounds incredibly arrogant =\

I'm sure that the Daleks will pop up again at some point, but please rest them for a while!

The whole point of Who is that the whole of space / time can be visited. If the same creatures / people were always seen it would become very stale very fast.

Take the Ood , for example, there story has been told across two stories now (3 episodes) and they added a new dimension to the story - bringing out the Doctor's compassionate side and allowing him to fix a past wrong.

If new creatures can be created to tell new stories and explore common themes in a new way then that has to be the way forward.

I hate the fact they keep dragging the Daleks out every season but I suppose they are the doctors worst enemy so we have to have them.

The Daleks are just a joke now - purely for nostalgia and licensing. Cybermen are worse - who ever cared about them?

The original stories (B&W) weren't too bad (although they did look like rejects from the Wizard of Oz)...

The Daleks are just a joke now - purely for nostalgia and licensing. Cybermen are worse - who ever cared about them?

Someone must do, I actually don't mind the Cybermen.

I totally agree.

I'd like to see a darker and more adult Doctor Who serise, perhaps they can go bank in time and "unlock" and explore the Great Time War, or explore some paradox that shows that toe Doctor was responsible for the Daleks or even life itself.

Someone must do

BBC make money from licensing the Doctor Who toys and so on. Recurring baddies are great for licensing!

Daleks and Cybermen are for those who want simple sci-fi with recurring "baddies". They wheel them out, kill them all off, leave it 6 months, wheel them out again with a clumsily written excuse. Agreed, they used to be scary, and they were used sparingly - but now they seem just like a fanboy wet dream.

Doctor Who was never about recurring baddies - it was about a diverse range of antagonists. The best rated episodes are those that are often set in non-Dalek/Cybermen stories.

Don't get me wrong, handled intelligently they are fantastic pieces of IP. But the Beeb is whoring them out like cheap hookers. Sure fans were screaming out for them - but the last 3 seasons have raped the history of the Daleks, the doctor defeats them every time - where do you take them from there?

• 3 weeks later...
Catherine Tate is keen to reprise her role as departed companion Donna Noble in a future series of Doctor Who.

The actress, who left her show at the end of the recent fourth season finale, told Doctor Who Magazine: "I knew that there would definitely be an end to Donna, at the end of the series.

"But had that not been the case, had it been open-ended, had there been potential for Donna to stay on for another series, I must confess that I'd have said 'yes' like a shot."

Despite Donna's mind being wiped in 'Journey's End', Tate added: "Could Donna come back? Well, in science fiction, anything is possible."

Sci Fi (UK) has a weekend of "classic" Who adventures planned this for the next three days (Sat, Sun + Bank Holiday Monday)...

http://www.scifi.co.uk/whats-on/listings/?search=Doctor+Who

The Ark in Space (Tom Baker)

Revenge of the Cybermen (Tom Baker)

Pyramids of Mars (Tom Baker)

The Face of Evil (Tom Baker)

Logopolis (Tom Baker)

Earthshock (Peter Davison)

Warriors of the Deep (Peter Davison)

The Caves of Androzani (Peter Davison)

The Two Doctors (Patrick Troughton / Colin Baker)

Doctor Who: The Movie (Sylvester McCoy / Paul McGann)

Set your PVR's now... ;)