[Official] Doctor Who Thread

Sci Fi (UK) has a weekend of "classic" Who adventures planned this for the next three days (Sat, Sun + Bank Holiday Monday)...

http://www.scifi.co.uk/whats-on/listings/?search=Doctor+Who

The Ark in Space (Tom Baker)

Revenge of the Cybermen (Tom Baker)

Pyramids of Mars (Tom Baker)

The Face of Evil (Tom Baker)

Logopolis (Tom Baker)

Earthshock (Peter Davison)

Warriors of the Deep (Peter Davison)

The Caves of Androzani (Peter Davison)

The Two Doctors (Patrick Troughton / Colin Baker)

Doctor Who: The Movie (Sylvester McCoy / Paul McGann)

Set your PVR's now... ;)

I was just looking through tv guide and saw the tom baker one advertised.

The new writer of Doctor Who says he would not object to the hit TV series being made into a film.

Steven Moffat, who has replaced Russell T Davies at the helm, said it would be good to see the show at cinemas as long as it was "great and fantastic".

But he stressed any filming should not get in the way of making the series.

He also revealed Steven Spielberg was a Doctor Who fan and that Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson had one of ex-Doctor Sylvester McCoy's outfits.

Moffat is taking over from Davies, who revived Doctor Who in 2005, as the lead writer and executive producer for the fifth series of the show - due to be shown on BBC1 in spring 2010.

Asked at the Edinburgh International Television Festival whether he would like to see the series become a film, he said: "I'm not against it. I don't think it's the most important thing for Doctor Who.

"A movie is one 90 minutes a year. So yes, so long as it never gets in the way of the show. If it gets in the way of the show that's appalling.

"It's been in the cinema, with Peter Cushing. It would be good to see it in the cinema so long as it's great and fantastic."

Doctor's age

Moffat has already written some of the most memorable Doctor Who episodes of recent times including Blink, of series three - which featured terrifying weeping angels - for which he picked up the best writer Bafta earlier this year.

He was previously known for the landmark ITV children's drama Press Gang and Coupling, the award-winning sitcom he created and wrote for BBC2.

Moffat went on to rule out introducing an older Doctor Who, if and when David Tennant leaves the show.

"It's a practical issue. This is a show that's hard for even the young, super-fit David Tennant to keep up with. It might kill someone over 60," he said.

"If the Doctor turned into an old man you would be a bit p***** off. Even William Hartnell [the first doctor] had trouble back then, he was often ill and forgot his lines.

"I think he'll always probably tend to be around 40."

Writer Davies will remain in charge of four Doctor Who specials to be shown in 2009.

• 3 weeks later...
Catherine Tate and John Simm will return to Doctor Who next year.

Tate will reprise her role as assistant Donna Noble for one of the four specials planned for next year, while Life On Mars star Simm will return as villainous Time Lord The Master.

A Who source told The Sun: "Fans will be delighted to see Catherine back. She was one of the wackiest companions of all time and she brought heaps of humour. And it's great to have John back - he and David Tennant have a real nemesis chemistry."

Veteran actor Bernard Cribbins will also be back to play Donna's grandfather Wilf.

Tate, whose character's memory was wiped in last year's series finale, earlier expressed her desire to return to the cult show, saying: "In science fiction, anything is possible."

[Source]

Booyeh, the Master is coming back. I also hope there will be another Dalek episode. They are just awesome =D. And I was kinda sad that Donna was kinda killed, but then I got over it...now they're bringing her back <_<

David Tennant is reportedly keen to star in a big screen version of Doctor Who.

The Sun reports that the Scottish actor wants to sign a new deal with the BBC that includes playing The Doctor in both a spinoff movie and the fifth series of the popular drama in 2010.

Tennant has yet to commit to the role beyond several specials that mark the end of Russell T. Davies's tenure as executive producer.

An insider on the show told the tabloid: "It looks like the film is going to happen in the next few years... everyone is keen now and the fans are clamouring. Part of David?s conundrum is that he wants to do films, so this looks like it would solve both issues."

During the height of 'Dalekmania' in the 1960s, two movies starring Peter Cushing as the time traveller were released - Doctor Who And The Daleks and Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 AD.

[Source]

Well, at least I'm more pleased to see them bringing her back this time <_< I was cringing when I heard they were bringing her back in Season 4 :p

A movie sounds good, I'd definitely go and see it at the cinemas :) I wonder what the plot would be about, though?

_45021591_tovey_bbc226b.jpg

Doctor Who writer Russell T Davies has suggested who he thinks should replace David Tennant as the next Time Lord.

In e-mails serialised in The Times newspaper, Davies said Russell Tovey, who appeared in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys, would fit the role.

The creator, who leaves the show next year as lead writer and executive producer, said he thought Tovey was "going to be huge" and is "amazing".

Davies also revealed he had wanted JK Rowling to star in a Christmas special.

However, Tennant had not responded well to the suggestion.

"David doesn't like the JK idea, he thinks it sounds like a spoof, so we've paused slightly, wondering whether to win him round or just abandon something that he's not going to be happy with," Davies said.

In the correspondence between Davies and Doctor Who magazine journalist Benjamin Cook, Davies talked about Kylie Minogue's cameo.

"A read-through with Kylie Minogue! Marvellous, isn't it? She's going to watch Last of The Time Lords on Saturday with David. Madder and madder," he wrote.

Tovey, 26, had a part in last year's Christmas Doctor Who special as Midshipman Frame.

He is best known for his role as Rudge, the least intellectual of the boys in the stage and screen versions of The History Boys.

The extracts are taken from a forthcoming book, Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale. They also reveal that Hollywood actor Dennis Hopper was keen to appear in Doctor Who, but was not "available for that many days" to film.

[Source]

• 3 weeks later...

ae643t.jpg

ACTING legend Patrick Stewart is to make a giant leap across space ? from Star Trek to Doctor Who.

He has agreed to a major role in the Time Lord?s next series after teaming up with the Doctor (David Tennant) on stage.

The pair starred in a production of Hamlet in the summer. Patrick ? Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek ? has been offered a role in a two-parter involving the Daleks, set to be screened next year.

The new series will also see the return of classic alien enemies the Ice Warriors and the Zygons. Patrick, 68, is a big Doctor Who admirer and has spoken in the past of his desire to star in the show.

He said: ?I have been a fan, actually yes, and I?m deeply dismayed that I was never asked to be in it. I think it?s a terrific series.? A source said: ?Patrick and David are firm friends now, and want to work together again. They?ve got chemistry and that?s what Doctor Who is all about.

?Patrick?s role is still being finalised but the plan is for him to play a renegade Time Lord called the Meddling Monk, who was last seen in Doctor Who in the 1960s. The Doctor thought his entire race was wiped out and gets a huge surprise to find another member of his species.?

The Monk was originally played by Carry On film favourite Peter Butterworth. Our insider added: ?Patrick?s agent is now involved and everyone is really keen. His role is a belter.?

[The Sun]

I think that would be thoroughly awesome. :D

And the more time lords the better, though seeing that every time lord or someone he knows ends up dying in the end, I fear that they will kill him off too, hopefully he would just disappear off into time, but that is of course if he does indeed star in it.

If its come from The Sun its more than likely going to be lies, they're well known for publishing rumours/any old trash about doctor who that they find off the internet.

However, IF and only if there is the slightest possibility this is true, i'm already looking forward to the new series :D

EDIT: Just noticed the article using the word "series", which is making me disbelieve this even more as there is no Series next year, just 4 specials spread across the year.

If its come from The Sun its more than likely going to be lies, they're well known for publishing rumours/any old trash about doctor who that they find off the internet.

However, IF and only if there is the slightest possibility this is true, i'm already looking forward to the new series :D

EDIT: Just noticed the article using the word "series", which is making me disbelieve this even more as there is no Series next year, just 4 specials spread across the year.

It said next series, that is perfectly fine, there is a next series, it is just after the specials, that is when Steven Moffat takes over as writer.

So the wording is right either way.

• 3 weeks later...
300who1.jpg

This year's BBC Children in Need show on BBC One is to feature an exclusive preview of the forthcoming Doctor Who Christmas special.

The clip, from the special entitled The Next Doctor, will show the first two minutes of a brand new episode for the Time Lord, played by David Tennant.

This never-seen-before footage is a worldwide exclusive and will keep fans all over the globe wondering what's in store for the Doctor's next adventure.

300who2.jpg

Starring David Tennant and David Morrissey, the two-minute piece will broadcast as part of the BBC Children in Need show on Friday 14 November, BBC One, 7.00pm.

[Source]

So lucky-- here in the US we are a few seasons back and they just restarted--- To give you an idea-- We saw Rose get left in alternate universe .... then the following week-- it went back to when he first got regenerated.

I always thought the series should bring back his granddaughter.... after all she left traveling with him during his second regeneration.

Was not Patrick Stuart-- on one of the Doctor Who Episodes already.?

Was not Patrick Stuart-- on one of the Doctor Who Episodes already.?

Not that I can remember - are you thinking of new Who or old? I don't think he has done either though...