[Official] Doctor Who Thread

_45343451_newdoctor282.jpg

Matt Smith has been named as the actor who will take over from David Tennant in Doctor Who - making him the youngest actor to take on the role.

At 26, Smith is three years younger than Peter Davison when he signed up to play the fifth Doctor in 1981.

Smith will first appear on TV screens as the 11th Doctor in 2010.

He was cast over Christmas and will begin filming for the fifth series of Doctor Who in the summer. Tennant is filming four specials in 2009.

Smith was named as Tennant's replacement in Saturday's edition of Doctor Who Confidential on BBC One.

He said: "I've got this wonderful journey in front of me where I've got this six months to build this Time Lord - and that's such an exciting prospect."

Piers Wenger, head of drama at BBC Wales, said that as soon as he had seen Smith's audition he "knew he was the one".

"It was abundantly clear that he had that 'Doctor-ness' about him," he said. "You are either the Doctor or you are not."

Wenger said a broad range of people had been auditioned, but they had not set out to cast the youngest Doctor.

Smith's TV debut was in the 2006 adaptation of Philip Pullman's The Ruby in the Smoke, which starred former Doctor Who companion Billie Piper as Sally Lockhart.

He has also acted opposite Piper in the follow-up, The Shadow in the North, and in ITV2's Secret Diary of a Call Girl.

In 2007, he had a leading role in BBC Two's political drama Party Animals, in which he played a parliamentary researcher.

Smith's stage work has included stints with theatre companies such as the Royal Court and National Theatre. His West End debut was in Swimming With Sharks opposite Christian Slater.

He was born in Northampton in 1982 and studied drama and creative writing at the University of East Anglia.

Tennant said in October that he would stand down from the show after filming four special episodes in 2009.

David Tennant as Doctor Who

Tennant is recovering from back surgery ahead of filming in 2009

The star is due to begin shooting the first special this month, just weeks after surgery on his back forced him to pull out of a London run of Hamlet.

The last of these special episodes is expected to run in early 2010.

With a new creative team in place for the 2010 series led by executive producers Steven Moffat and Piers Wenger, the casting of the Doctor was the first job to be completed before scripts could be finalised.

Doctor Who began in 1963, and seven actors played the Doctor before the show was dropped in 1989.

After a TV movie in 1996 - starring Paul McGann - the TV series returned in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role. Tennant took over the same year.

I am not really sure on it, but at the same time think its the coolest thing ever I thought he was awesome in Party Animals.

Well I didn't think Tennant would be as good as Ecleston so I'll give this new chap a few episodes for me to make up my mind - but my initial reaction was a bit "hmmmmmmm".

When they said it was a 26 year old I was convinced it was Billie Piper.

Well I didn't think Tennant would be as good as Ecleston so I'll give this new chap a few episodes for me to make up my mind - but my initial reaction was a bit "hmmmmmmm".

When they said it was a 26 year old I was convinced it was Billie Piper.

They said at the beginning tho "he" was perfect when we interviewed for the role.

I'm not huge on British stars (if he's British) but, is it me or...he looks kinda spooky looking? :|

Plus, dear god he looks like he's still a teenager in some pics.

Oh right :p

To be honest I took a while stab when I said Matt Smith and i'll tell you what was strange when I looked him up on wiki it said he was Doctor Who just before they announced it which was weird :o

I've sent my complaint to the BBC already, getting my friends and family to do the same.

I can't see the problem...is it because he's an unknown?

@ thealexweb - Wtf?

1. It's a TV show.. 2. You haven't even seen him in an episode yet.. so you can't complain.. 3. Even if he isn't that good, Steven Moffat's writing should be able to carry the show along