[Official] Doctor Who Thread

Well thats dissapointing i wont be watching post david tennant.

I've been saying the same thing ever since Tom Baker. :D Baker & Tennant just seem perfect for the role thought.

Doctor Who is to face his most challenging villains yet, according to a show insider.

The Time Lord will be forced to battle the Tritovore, described as a half-man half-fly creature, in the forthcoming Easter special, reports The Mirror.

"They are disgusting and will last long in the memory," said a source, who added that Who bosses hope that the Tritovore would become as iconic as the Daleks and the Cybermen.

"Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that.

"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact."

The insider added that Who showrunner Russell T. Davies was hoping to use the Tritovore in future episodes, saying: "Russell is telling everybody to expect some real surprises. He wants [David Tennant] to go out with a bang."

Last week, it was confirmed that former EastEnders actress Michelle Ryan and comedian Lee Evans would guest star in the Doctor Who Easter special, titled Planet Of The Dead.

[source]

Dressed in tight black trousers, fitted leather jacket, and knee-high leather boots, actress Michelle Ryan looked a woman not to be messed with, as she filmed her new role as Doctor Who's assistant.

Slipping into the position left vacant by Catherine Tate, and before that, the much-loved Billie Piper, is not going to be easy.

But having played The Bionic Woman on US television will have given her some kind of insight into the rigours of accompanying a Time Lord.

29lcsna.jpg

The former EastEnders actress will appear in Easter special Planet of the Dead, which will be broadcast on BBC1 in April.

She will play Lady Christina de Souza, who accompanies David Tennant's Doctor on a dangerous bus trip.

Her appearance has led to increased speculation that she is now a key contender to play new doctor Matt Smith's assistant in the 2010 series of the cult show.

2rdg7wk.jpg

And a source revealed to the Daily Mail: 'Michelle's been in secret talks with BBC bosses.

'They are likely to announce her as Doctor Who's new assistant very soon.

'She is perfect for the role. She is good looking and the right age to star alongside Matt.

'Everyone agrees they look great together and reckon fans will think they're the perfect team too.'

2hywe91.jpg

The source added: 'It's an incredible opportunity for her and even though she's had a lot of success already she is still young and at the start of her career.'

Miss Ryan unsuccessfully auditioned to replace Miss Piper when she left the programme.

However, it is understood that she has impressed Mr Davies with her work since.

Michelle recently returned from LA, where she played the starring role in TV series Bionic Woman.

The show was cancelled after an unsuccessful first season.

344fp0x.jpg

Source

I dunno, this talk of they look great together doesn't work at all considering shes working with tennant who's leaving.

I want to know more about this bus, wasn't there a time traveller who had a bus or something, lol.

Doctor Who to be filmed in HD

Doctor Who is to be filmed in high definition (HD) for the first time, it has been confirmed.

The upcoming Easter special, 'Planet of the Dead', will be the first episode to be broadcast in the high quality format. Time and budgetary constraints have thusfar prevented Doctor Who from going HD, although spinoff series Torchwood has been shot in the format from the start.

"I'm delighted that the Doctor Who specials are going to be shot in HD," Danielle Nagler, head of BBC HD, told Doctor Who Magazine. "The programme team has consistently tried to push at television boundaries, and to raise the quality bar for our audiences, and I'm glad we've been able to work with them to do so again."

'Planet of the Dead' features guest appearances from Michelle Ryan and Lee Evans.

Was just going to post this, im VERY excited to see Doctor Who in HD, i remember them saying the sets wouldnt hold up under HD cameras so im glad theyve had the chance to update the sets, i just hope when it goes into full series production they will stick with doing HD.

I love Doctor Who and i cant wait.

Matt Smith signs five-year deal to play Time Lord

New Doctor Who Matt Smith has signed a five-year contract worth up to a million pounds, it emerged last night.

Smith, 26, will earn a drastically reduced pay package compared to his predecessor David Tennant. He earned about ?1million a year for the role.

The corporation has tied the young star down to a three-year deal worth ?600,000, with an option for a further two years.

The reduced wage is a reflection of the credit crunch and the fact that Smith comes into the show as an unknown whereas Tennant already had a TV presence when he first entered the Tardis.

The BBC would like to tie Smith down for a long-time if he is a success in the role having been hit hard by the unwanted departures of previous stars.

Christopher Eccleston quit after just one series and Tennant left after three full series of the show and at the height of his popularity.

The BBC will not comment on the agreement, as with all talent deals, but it is understood it has slashed what it would have paid 12 months ago.

Smith, who will become the eleventh Time Lord, is the youngest ever actor to play the 903-year-old doctor.

He signed up for the part in December, but will not appear on screen until next year.

Programme-makers are keen to avoid a repeat of the current situation where 37-year-old Tenant left the role as the series was getting massive ratings.

The BBC was also forced to accommodate his growing desire to play other roles, including Hamlet, leaving them with just four specials this year and no series.

Last week Smith, who is currently appearing in BBC2 detective drama Moses Jones, indicated that he had made a long-term commitment

He told the Doctor Who magazine: 'I'll hit 30 in 2012, and that's an important stage of growing up, and how brilliant to do that as Matt Smith, but also as Matt Smith playing the Doctor.'

The announcement of Smith as the new doctor came as a complete shock to many fans and observers of the show.

Other actors including David Morrissey, who starred in the Christmas special, Paterson Joseph, James Nesbitt and John Simm were more favoured.

Tennant has previously claimed that three years was 'about the right time' to play the role.

He said: 'I think it is better to go when there's a chance that people might miss you, rather than hang around and outstay your welcome.'

Almost 10million viewers had watched his Time Lord apparently begin the process of regeneration but not complete it last year.

The Christmas Day special was the third most watching programme that day with 12million viewers for the episode called The Next Doctor.

An average of 8.1million viewers watched the last full series of the Saturday night show - the fourth season - since its comeback in 2005.

When Northampton-born Smith took the role he admitted taking on such a big role was 'nerve-racking, but exciting'.

Until now he is probably best known for his role in political drama Party Animals and he also starred alongside Billie Piper in The Ruby in the Smoke.

After he was unveiled some die-hard fans of the show, called Whovians, had suggested that the performer was too young to play the part.

One branded him 'the toddler in the Tardis' and accused programme-makers being obsessed with younger actors.

A BBC spokesman said the corporation did not comment on its star's contracts.

But he said all current deals were being done with the current economic climate in mind.

Dr Who travels to the Arabian Gulf for a special Easter episode (Source)

The cast of Dr Who will be transported to the Arabian Gulf to shoot scenes for the Easter special Planet Of The Dead.

Filming for the episode, which stars David Tennant as the Doctor alongside Michelle Ryan, began in Cardiff in January and will move to Dubai later this month.

Bionic Woman and Merlin star Ryan plays the mysterious Lady Christina de Souza, who joins the Doctor on a bus trip.

article-1143870-037E64E6000005DC-243_468x334.jpg

The journey takes an unexpected detour into danger and sees British comedy star Lee Evans also join the cast as a character named Malcolm whose path crosses the Doctor?s.

The episode also sees Noma Dumezweni return as Captain Erisa Magambo ? who was last seen helping Rose and Donna save the world in Turn Left.

Producer Tracie Simpson said: ?We rarely take Doctor Who abroad, although we did visit Rome for series four?s The Fires Of Pompeii, which gave us some spectacular footage.

article-1143870-037E6446000005DC-249_468x345.jpg

?The locations in Dubai are a perfect match for writer Russell T Davies?s vision of the episode and we expect to film some incredible scenes while we are here.?

Planet Of The Dead is the first of four Doctor Who specials which will air this year.

Written by Davies and Gareth Roberts, the episode will be screened on BBC1 in the spring.

2eyfig8.jpg

Lindsay Duncan: I'm thrilled to be Doctor Who's new assistant

LINDSAY Duncan will star in this year's second Doctor Who special as the Time Lord's companion, the BBC confirmed today.

Duncan, who is starring as Baroness Thatcher in the BBC2 drama Margaret, will play Adelaide - the Doctor's cleverest and most strong-minded companion yet.

She will join David Tennant, who continues his role as the Doctor in the second instalment of four specials to be screened throughout 2009.

The second special will follow Planet Of The Dead, due to air this Easter on BBC1.

Duncan said: "I'm thrilled to be involved in Doctor Who. I've never done anything like this before and I'm really looking forward to working with David Tennant and the Doctor Who team."

The second episode is being written by executive producer Russell T Davies and Phil Ford.

It is due to go into production in spring 2009 and will be screened on BBC1 later this year.

Davies said: "Lindsay is an incredibly talented actress and I've been an admirer of her work for some time.

"We are delighted to announce that she will be joining the team and playing the Doctor's most strong-minded companion yet."