[Official] Doctor Who Thread

x2xBJ.jpg

As if to confirm that Doctor Who is undergoing some major, major changes with its fifth series this year, Billie Piper has revealed that she won't be returning to the series.

The actress, who played the Doctor's companion (and love interest) Rose Tyler throughout the revived series, is busy starring in Secret Diary of a Call Girl, and has no intentions of reprising her role as Rose.

"I think it's done now, isn't it? I think that ship has sailed. That old, wooden ship!" Piper told DigitalSpy.

The massive changeover that the show has undergone is also a factor in her decision not to return. "I really loved doing it, but Doctor Who has moved on ? it's different people, different crew, different production team and I can't keep going back. It's ridiculous! It's time to move on?"

She's talking, of course, about the departure of showrunner Russell T. Davies, who was replaced by writer Steven Moffat, as well as the fact that star David Tennant is gone. Tennant wasn't Piper's first Doctor; her first was Tennant's predecessor, Christopher Eccleston. However, she spent more time working with Tennant; she appeared as his regular companion throughout series two, and then recurred in the final two episodes of the fourth series. Her most recent and final appearance was in the final moments of "The End of Time," right before the dying Doctor entered his TARDIS to regenerate.

"I hate it that he's left!" the 27-year-old actress said of Tennant, before admitting that she hasn't seen Tennant's heartbreaking final scene yet. "I haven't seen it yet! I went away for Christmas and New Year and it's a bit weird trying to sly off and watch an episode of Doctor Who on my own! I definitely will, though," she confessed.

But Piper certainly has no hard feelings against Tennant's successor, Matt Smith. He appeared with her on Call Girl, and according to Piper, they know each other "really well." "I love him and I think he's such a brilliant actor," Piper said. "The role couldn't have gone to a better guy. He's capable of that. He's got big shoes to fill, but I'm certain he can do it."

Source

It was inevitable I reckon. Rose was too connected to the DT doctor and with the new companion along with the connection to Prof. Song that we already know about, I'd be very surprised if we see Rose again. Still hope we get to see some of the others make a cameo return in some form or another, especially the superb Captain Jack Harkness!

Im a bit apprehensive about Matt Smith but looking forward to seeing DW in HD, should have BBCHD feed on my PC in time for march.

How can you get the BBC HD feed on your PC? I have a USB TV Card, but can't pick up the HD feed.

But Piper certainly has no hard feelings against Tennant's successor, Matt Smith. He appeared with her on Call Girl, and according to Piper, they know each other "really well." "I love him and I think he's such a brilliant actor," Piper said. "The role couldn't have gone to a better guy. He's capable of that. He's got big shoes to fill, but I'm certain he can do it."

I guess we'll see.

As for as Rose goes, I have mixed feelings about her. All this coming back was getting old but I love her character.

There is a surprising lack of information/spoilers about the new series - anyone got any "scoops"?

haven't seen anything other then the set pictures

Finally we'll have a season without bloody Rose. Hopefully there'll be a ban on Donna as well!

tbh anything from the RTD is over in terms of this doctors time.

There is a surprising lack of information/spoilers about the new series - anyone got any "scoops"?

They are keeping this almost as secret as DT's big send off.

1248593962.jpg

A new jigsaw puzzle gives us a possible glimpse at the return of the Weeping Angels. Also, it sounds like they're filming some scenes at Stonehenge. [GallifreyBase]

1292809464.jpg

Bill Nighy is to guest star in an episode of the new series of Doctor Who, Digital Spy can reveal.The veteran actor will play the curator of a Vincent van Gogh exhibition in the episode, which is penned by Richard Curtis.

A set insider told DS: "It was a real coup to get Bill Nighy in Doctor Who, especially in Richard Curtis's amazing episode. Bill plays a van Gogh expert with some similar fashion choices to The Doctor himself."

The story is set both in the present day and 19th Century France. This Life actor Tony Curran was previously in the role of van Gogh.The episode - the tenth in the new series - was filmed on location in Croatia and Cardiff over Christmas.

A BBC spokesperson said: "We do not comment on storyline or character speculation."

Source

Right here for the revamped Who but I am not sure if you want to start from the first Doctor!

How different is the first one....a bit too old to watch now? or

How different is the first one....a bit too old to watch now? or

yeah its definitely dated but its cool, if I were you I would say start with what I linked its for our generation really.

How can you get the BBC HD feed on your PC? I have a USB TV Card, but can't pick up the HD feed.

DVB-S PCI card, uses regular sky dish can pick up BBCHD and ITVHD, got it setup now.

yeah its definitely dated but its cool, if I were you I would say start with what I linked its for our generation really.

Thanks, I will.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctorwho/news/a201231/first-smith-doctor-who-titles-confirmed.html

Confirmation Daleks sooner rather than later in the new series. Mark Gatiss has written episode three: 'Victory Of The Daleks'.

"Other writers confirmed for Eleventh Doctor's first series include Simon Nye, Chris Chibnall, Gareth Roberts, Toby Whithouse and Richard Curtis"

On another note, I hope the doctor 'reverses the polarity of the neutron flow' in this series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Doctor#.22Reverse_the_polarity.22

Daleks should gtfo :p

Despite their overuse in the recent few series' I think they've become too iconic within the show and perhaps viewing figures might fall in a series without them. I don't know. I certainly preferred the daleks before I find out they could fly. (not that I can remember much of them back then or anything - I saw the odd episode I guess.)

Hmm, I wonder what they win.

Their doooooom! Or, a medal... (I'll try and find an image I once made of a medal for someone who made a welsh villiage random name generator thingy on openttd, second thoughts; probably not worth it.)

I don't know though.