[Official] Doctor Who Thread

I agree, they need some more original villains so that the classics are reserved for bigger and more meaningful episodes. Daleks are a great example of overuse, so much so that they bore me.

I'd really like to see a return of the Mondas cybermen but under the doctor who spin offs they are extinct, wonder if the proper doctor who would ignore it's spinoffs and bring them back anyway.

Maybe it means the Daleks come back proper so they are a constant threat and not just small pockets cropping up at random times. That would be cool - a universe with the Daleks always around just going about their own business?

Anyone got any more photos/info on anything? IT STARTS NEXT MONTH PEOPLE!!! = very excited.

* Sophie Okonedo is lined up to appear in the new series. We understand that the actress, who starred in the film Hotel Rwanda, is playing someone by the name of Liz Ten, and will turn up in the second episode of the new run. The story was reported by The Sun, but we'd heard this one before, and believe it to be true.

* Filming for the show has headed to Stonehenge over the last week. If you want to read more about that, and beware that there are spoilers, then follow this link.

* Finally, and this should be taken with a pinch of salt as it's coming from the Daily Star, it's been reported that the Doctor will have two assistants during the new series. We know about Karen Gillan as Amy Pond who comes with a back story and fianc?e of her own, apparently, but there's also another companion due to hop on board the Tardis later in the series. As we said though, it's the Daily Star.

Source

7SDkh.jpg

From SFX Magazine:

Neil Gaiman has just won an award for his Batman comic at the SFX Awards 2010, presented at the SFX Weekender convention. And Neil just tweeted;

"I tried videoing acceptance speeches yesterday but the sound was bad, so they read them out instead. Also I gave them a scoop."

That scoop is that he has indeed written an upcoming episode of Doctor Who. It is it to air in 14 months, in 2011.

I understand that although Gaiman initially wrote the episode for the 2010 series, budgetary reasons saw it bumped to the following year. So we might also expect a bit of an effects extravaganza to boot?

• 2 weeks later...

Radio Free Skaro got hold of what it says is a leaked press release for season five aka season one, airing this spring:

A new era of Doctor Who begins in Spring 2010. This latest series of the BBC's flagship drama programme sees Matt Smith's debut as the new, Eleventh incarnation of the famous Time Lord alongside a new travelling companion, the enigmatic Amy Pond (Karen Gillan).

Together they explore 16th century Venice, France during the 1890s and the United Kingdom in the far future, now an entire nation floating in space.

As always, wherever the Doctor goes, his oldest enemies are never far behind ? the Daleks are hatching a new master plan from the heart of war-torn London in the 1940s. But they are not the only strange creatures the Doctor and Amy must face ? there are also alien vampires. humanoid reptiles, old enemies such as the Weeping Angels, a Star Whale, and a silent menace that follows Amy and the Doctor around wherever they go?

And it says the first episode will be 60 minutes long.[Radio Free Skaro]

Radio Free Skaro got hold of what it says is a leaked press release for season five aka season one, airing this spring:

A new era of Doctor Who begins in Spring 2010. This latest series of the BBC's flagship drama programme sees Matt Smith's debut as the new, Eleventh incarnation of the famous Time Lord alongside a new travelling companion, the enigmatic Amy Pond (Karen Gillan).

Together they explore 16th century Venice, France during the 1890s and the United Kingdom in the far future, now an entire nation floating in space.

As always, wherever the Doctor goes, his oldest enemies are never far behind ? the Daleks are hatching a new master plan from the heart of war-torn London in the 1940s. But they are not the only strange creatures the Doctor and Amy must face ? there are also alien vampires. humanoid reptiles, old enemies such as the Weeping Angels, a Star Whale, and a silent menace that follows Amy and the Doctor around wherever they go?

And it says the first episode will be 60 minutes long.[Radio Free Skaro]

Sounds great! :D

The new Doctor Who trailer will premiere this Saturday on BBC One, it has been announced.

The promo for the new series, which stars Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor, will also simulcast on the official Who website.

Additionally, the BBC has unveiled a new promo shot for the series, which sees The Doctor and companion Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) pictured together for the first time.

The pair are pictured in a swirling vortex with some of the Doctor?s fiercest enemies including a Dalek, a Weeping Angel and a Smiler.

Source

The BBC has commissioned a 3D trailer to help launch the new series of Doctor Who.

The 40-second advert, which features new Doctor Matt Smith and assistant Karen Gillan, will be shown in cinemas nationwide before screenings of Alice In Wonderland.

The trailer is a converted version of the new 2D trailer that will premiere on BBC One this weekend.

A BBC spokesperson told Broadcast: "Doctor Who is the appropriate vehicle for 3D. It just fits. It?s a great way to introduce and showcase the new Doctor to younger viewers."

The new series of Who will launch in the Spring.

Source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QichEmqgWss

It's going to be funny in a not so funny way if after all this Matt Smith flops big time. I hope he doesn't mind you, but I can't see him (or anyone for that matter) jumping into the role and hitting their strides the first season.

It's going to be funny in a not so funny way if after all this Matt Smith flops big time. I hope he doesn't mind you, but I can't see him (or anyone for that matter) jumping into the role and hitting their strides the first season.

I hope he doesn't :(

Looking forward to this 3D Trailer. Better dust of the old 3D glasses from Avatar :rofl: