[Official] Doctor Who Thread

The next series of Doctor Who starts on UK TV, April 3 with The Eleventh Hour which, according to the magazine, has a running time of almost 65 minutes.

:woot:

The next series of Doctor Who starts on UK TV, April 3 with The Eleventh Hour which, according to the magazine, has a running time of almost 65 minutes.

Why is it that everyone seems to drool over the doctor who assistants or people like Cary Mulligan. ?I just don't see anything attractive about them??

Am I just being to geeky?

Why is it that everyone seems to drool over the doctor who assistants or people like Cary Mulligan. ?I just don't see anything attractive about them??

Am I just being to geeky?

in that case you win Donna :laugh:

in that case you win Donna :laugh:

Hehehehehe yeah if poor old Dave Tennant has seen the new piece he'd be saying 'And I got stuck with bloody Tate harping for a year!'

_46499069_drwho1.jpg

A new Telegraph article has literally a squillion details about Matt Smith's first episode. Including the strange fact that the producers originally wanted Smith's costume to be pirate-esque.

Smith's Doctor will continue regenerating throughout his first episode, and this will be a somewhat involved process by the sound of things. The TARDIS crashlands in the village of Leadworth, where he meets his "kooky" new companion Amy. And the world is threatened with destruction by the Atraxi, "thuggish galactic policemen," not to be confused with the Judoon. Leadworth has a duck pond, whose total absence of ducks sparks an argument between the Doctor and Amy. And as you'll no doubt remember from set reports, a red phone booth blows up. It rained a lot during filming, but new showrunner Steven Moffat may explain that away by saying the Atraxi are preparing to boil the planet.

In one key scene, Smith tries to attract the Atraxi's attention by using his sonic screwdriver (or rather David Tennant's) and then the sonic screwdriver explodes. The Doctor has 20 minutes to save the world, still wearing Tennant's raggedy costume ? and he does it with two minutes to spare. Oh, and there are at least a couple "CGI monsters" in this episode.

The new TARDIS interior is probably three times the size of David Tennant's ? let's just pause to let that sink in. There are multiple levels, joined by staircases. And the Telegraph adds:

Less grubby than its predecessor, with a transparent plastic floor on the main level, its walls are resplendent with polished copper and its central column features a blown glass decoration that could be straight from Tales of the Unexpected. There are old car seats and downstairs ? downstairs! ? a swing. With a nod to Paul McGann's Tardis, the central column features an old TV screen on an extendable trellis. It also has a 1980s-style computer keyboard, and a His-Master's-Voice style trumpet speaker. Viewers won't see this Tardis until the end of episode one, when the Doctor and Amy walk in for their first journey together.

And once again, we hear about the "fairy-tale quality" of episode one. Can you wait? If you can, there is something wrong with you. [Telegraph]

I hope pictures of the TARDIS leak somehow and i REALLY hope the console doesn't look cobbled together like it has throughout the series. As Tom Baker's doctor said about Gallifrey's technology there are worlds out their where this would be considered junk!

The new TARDIS interior is probably three times the size of David Tennant's — let's just pause to let that sink in. There are multiple levels, joined by staircases. And the Telegraph adds:

Less grubby than its predecessor, with a transparent plastic floor on the main level, its walls are resplendent with polished copper and its central column features a blown glass decoration that could be straight from Tales of the Unexpected. There are old car seats and downstairs – downstairs! – a swing. With a nod to Paul McGann's Tardis, the central column features an old TV screen on an extendable trellis. It also has a 1980s-style computer keyboard, and a His-Master's-Voice style trumpet speaker. Viewers won't see this Tardis until the end of episode one, when the Doctor and Amy walk in for their first journey together.

That just sounds too cool. I can hardly wait.

Last week, Matt Smith explained what his new Doctor was like, and now it's the turn of Doctor Who's new companion, Karen Gillan, to introduce her character. Plus, what is Panic Moon?

Talking to the British Observer newspaper, Gillan enthused about new companion, Amy:

Amy's a sassy lady, funny and passionate, and her relationship with the doctor has a really interesting dynamic... She has a love for him, a really deep love for him. But not romantic. It's been an education in itself to work with Matt, who's so endlessly inventive, bringing something new to it every day rather than falling into the easy default scared-face. That's one of the challenges; you're faced with life-threatening situations every episode, but you can't just widen your eyes all the time. Yes, this doctor is preeeetty good. As, I've said, is Amy, and she gets to wear all these small skirts, which I will admit was very cold, but also very cool. They originally wanted to put me in trousers, but I did say I'd like to wear a skirt because ? you'll understand when you watch it. Actually I think I love Amy. I'm in love with her. I want to be her.

Gillen said that she wasn't a Who fan before auditioning for the series, but that didn't stop her from getting nervous before her second try-out:

I got the recall, the second audition. That was when I started sweating. This huge thing. And it was so secretive I couldn't even tell BBC reception where I was going, had to pretend it was for something called Panic Moon, which is an anagram of companion.

Now we're going to keep watching for mentions of Panic Moon throughout the new season, just in case it's another Torchwood situation...

Karen Gillan: Meet Doctor Who's new assistant [Guardian.co.uk]

'Doctor Who' confirmed for Xmas, sixth series

Doctor Who will return for a sixth series in 2011, it has been confirmed.

Executive producer Piers Wenger also announced a Christmas special for this year, penned by showrunner Steven Moffat.

Matt Smith will be returning for his second full series as The Doctor.

Shooting on the special and the 13-episode sixth run will begin early July in Cardiff. Filming on the fifth series wraps this Saturday ahead of transmission on BBC One at Easter.

Digitalspy

Ten teasers for Matt Smith's first 'Who' ep

1. The Doctor apparently loves apples. But maybe he's a bit confused.

2. The episode spans at least fourteen years.

3. The new Doctor uses the phrase "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" at one point. But that's not the only hark back to the past.

4. Guest stars/cameos include Annette Crosbie, Sir Patrick Moore, Nina Wadia and David Tennant.

5. You get the first glimpse of the new TARDIS right at the end of the episode.

6. Question: When is a crack in a wall more than just a crack in a wall?

7. "I'm The Doctor - I'm worse than *********'* ****."

8. Amy will have a rather pressing engagement.

9. The "outfit" that Amy is wearing at the end of episode one will be her outfit for episode two, too.

10. Shhhhhhhh.

Not long to go... it's like christmas :D

The first episode was screened last night in Cardiff, Matt Smith plays the Doctor really well apparently, hearing all positive at the moment. Still can't believe people judged him by his 30 seconds at "The End of Time" and the preview for Season 5...

Sooo looking forward to this new series, all the hype and the reviews of the first episode alone make it worth while!

The first episode was screened last night in Cardiff, Matt Smith plays the Doctor really well apparently, hearing all positive at the moment. Still can't believe people judged him by his 30 seconds at "The End of Time" and the preview for Season 5...

yeah people are so fickle sometimes, they like to jump on the hate bandwagon before embracing it. I was the same with Glee hated the thought of the show watched a few episodes and got hooked.