[Official] Doctor Who Thread

He's returning already when his first episode has not aired yet? Fail.

The BBC were never going to just commission one series, it makes sound business sense to contract them up for a longer period and hope it's all good. Besides i'm sure the BBC have seen enough of the new episodes to make their mind up... and if was to start failing then they'd write a few off the old characters back in and *POW* sudden leap in viewing figures.

He's returning already when his first episode has not aired yet? Fail.

why fail? as Mike said BBC have faith and there is alot of positive response from the episodes shown to audience so it makes for a good time to be a doctor who fan (Y)

The first episode was screened last night in Cardiff, Matt Smith plays the Doctor really well apparently, hearing all positive at the moment. Still can't believe people judged him by his 30 seconds at "The End of Time" and the preview for Season 5...

That's excellent news. To be honest I was a bit worried about Matt Smith. I can hardly wait now.

Starring Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor and Karen Gillan as his new companion, Amy Pond, Doctor Who returns to BBC One for more intergalactic adventures.

Cast

• The Doctor ? Matt Smith
  • Amy Pond ? Karen Gillan

Guest Stars (in alphabetical order)

James Corden, Tony Curran, Arthur Darvill, Iain Glen, Alex Kingston, Helen McCrory, Ian McNeice, Sophie Okonedo, Bill Paterson, Meera Syal, Nina Wadia

Executive Producer and Lead Writer

Steven Moffat

Executive Producers

• Piers Wenger
  • Beth Willis

Writers

• Steven Moffat (ep 1, 2, 4, 5, 12, 13)
  • Mark Gatiss (ep 3)
  • Toby Whithouse (ep 6)
  • Simon Nye (ep 7)
  • Chris Chibnall (ep 8, 9)
  • Richard Curtis (ep 10)
  • Gareth Roberts (ep 11)

Directors

• Adam Smith (ep 1, 4, 5)
  • Andrew Gunn (ep 2, 3)
  • Jonny Campbell (ep 6, 10)
  • Catherine Morshead (ep 7, 11) Ashley Way (ep 8, 9)
  • Toby Haynes (ep 12, 13)

Producers

• Tracie Simpson
  • Peter Bennett

Co-Producer

Patrick Schweitzer (ep 6, 10)

Source: BBC

just keeps looking better and better. Cannot wait for easter so we can watch the first episode. :D

No it looks like the ones from Rise of the Cybermen to me

I bet they go to another Parallel world or something, hence Daleks and Cybermen

Not the daleks again :( Sure they have sentimental value to some people, but how many times they can be killed and resurected. Same with sybermen. I am sure one could think of more creative enemies.

Regardless, i still can't wait for the new season :)

The American trailer is so much cooler than our trailers! :p

Not the daleks again :( Sure they have sentimental value to some people, but how many times they can be killed and resurected. Same with sybermen. I am sure one could think of more creative enemies.

I guess you can say the same about the Doctor. How many times can he escape certain death and save the day. Seeing as we wouldn't have a programme otherwise, I feel that the Daleks and Cybermen fall in to the same catagory. Plus with the Daleks, it has that emotional effect on the Doctor as to how they always survive, yet he inevitanbly loses everything. His people, his companions.

Just in the time of writing this message, I saw the BBC trailer on BBC1 and it seems they have a pre-watershed trailer. Exactly the same as the one Rappy posted, minus the Doctor with a gun! Instead it zooms in to a stern expression on his face. Interesting...

[American trailer]

It's odd seeing Dr Who promoted like that, doesn't feel right. Then again, American TV culture is a lot different.

Kill the Daleks, kill Dr Who tbh

Daleks and Cyberman :) Still not convinced this lad is gonna be a decent doctor or not.

There's this kind of talk before every new doctor... we've just got to wait and see :D

There's this kind of talk before every new doctor... we've just got to wait and see :D

And then we'll probably still disagree but at least we'll have a reason to disagree.

'No past characters' in new 'Doctor Who'

Steven Moffat has confirmed that none of the major characters from the Russell T. Davies era of Doctor Who will appear in his first series.

The new showrunner previously revealed that the Weeping Angels, Daleks and Silurians would appear in Matt Smith's first year as The Doctor, but moved to rule out a return of the human characters introduced by his predecessor.

Moffat told The Guardian: "The more you back-reference, the more it feels like a sequel and the sequel is ever as good as the original.

"Old favourites can return, provided you can do something new and exciting with them."

He added: "There are no past characters coming back in this series, but I imagine that kids would love to see Captain Jack meet the new Doctor."

Off his shift from writer to executive producer, Moffat claimed: "You don't think of it in terms of a challenge. You think 'Ooh, wouldn't it be great to do that!' and I'm now in the fortunate position of being able to think that and make it happen."

Source: Digitalspy