[Official] Doctor Who Thread

He added: "There are no past characters coming back in this series, but I imagine that kids would love to see Captain Jack meet the new Doctor."

Darn right.

The BBC have issued the synopsis for the second episode of the new series, The Beast Below. Here's what they say about the story due for broadcast on April 10:

The Doctor takes Amy to the distant future, where she finds Britain in space. Starship UK houses the future of the British people, as they search the stars for a new home. But as Amy explores, she encounters the terrifying Smilers and learns a deadly truth inside the Voting Booth.

The Doctor is played by Matt Smith and Amy Pond by Karen Gillan.

Episode two is written by Steven Moffat.

MATT SMITH is a guest on tonight's edition of Friday Night With Jonathan Ross. Here's a sample of what's in store:

New Time Lord Matt Smith talks about becoming the Doctor: "My Doctor [is] clumsy, a little reckless, [but] becomes more assured as the series develops." He also reveals: "I couldn't tell anyone for three months," and says: "To my mind it's the best part in British TV history."

He tells Jonathan that he took advice from David Tennant and that he's eager to take on his mantle: "I spoke to David briefly, he said 'enjoy the ride'."

On the TARDIS, he reveals there have been some changes: "It's bigger on the inside, has different levels, other rooms including a library, [and is] a different shade of blue outside."

Finally, he says he's here to stay: "I hope to do at least another year, it's a wonderful part and I want to keep it."

And there's an exclusive sneak preview of the Doctor's encounter with vampires.

I wonder how they plan to get around a Time Lord's regeneration limits? Isn't it 12?

I thought they got rid of the limits...

He added: "There are no past characters coming back in this series, but I imagine that kids would love to see Captain Jack meet the new Doctor."

This sums up the new theory behind writing Who? It's for kids?

This new series seems to be being written for a younger audience, but don't read younger as in children they are trying to get a younger generation interested in Dr Who rather than just the older fans who have watched it for years

Only thing I am worried about it seeing the Doctor with a gun, I can't remember a time when the character ever liked guns of any kind. But then I can't remember a lot of the older episodes.

But I will still wait on my judgement, I didn't think Tenant would be that great. However I was proved wrong I am pleased to say

Roll on the new series :D

I wonder how they plan to get around a Time Lord's regeneration limits? Isn't it 12?

There are all sorts of theories behind how many they have these days, and even if there are problems with say rules in the show, these can easily be looked over as many other Time Lords have had their fair share of new regenerations.

I just assume that the whole thing is managed by the Time Lords on some scale, hence the ability to bring back, take away and give more regerations on the show, and seeing as the Time Lords aren't exactly around at the moment, its something that can't be enforced.

It's always been aimed to appeal to both children and adults.

Dr Who is the middle ground, with the Sarah Jane Adventures being aimed at children and Torchwood at adults.

There are all sorts of theories behind how many they have these days, and even if there are problems with say rules in the show, these can easily be looked over as many other Time Lords have had their fair share of new regenerations.

I just assume that the whole thing is managed by the Time Lords on some scale, hence the ability to bring back, take away and give more regerations on the show, and seeing as the Time Lords aren't exactly around at the moment, its something that can't be enforced.

You may be right. That sounds reasonable. I guess we'll see. :)

Thanks Rappy. I see there's going to be a fair bit of humour this series!

Pretty much. Just look at the 11th Doc and his "companion". Looks like they're trying to appeal to the Twilight audiences. Even looks as ugly as the twilight guy.

The more I hear about the new Doc, the worse it gets. Using a gun? That went against everything he believed in. This is one doctor I'm skipping out on 100%.

Pretty much. Just look at the 11th Doc and his "companion". Looks like they're trying to appeal to the Twilight audiences. Even looks as ugly as the twilight guy.

The more I hear about the new Doc, the worse it gets. Using a gun? That went against everything he believed in. This is one doctor I'm skipping out on 100%.

Does that mean were not going to see you again in this topic until the Doctor regenerates again? lol.

yeah its going to be awesome :D

I'm still a bit disappointed about the lack of Sally Sparrow, but I can overlook that as long as the series is good. :p

Does that mean were not going to see you again in this topic until the Doctor regenerates again? lol.

I'm still a bit disappointed about the lack of Sally Sparrow, but I can overlook that as long as the series is good. :p

you know people will return to bitch, its what makes Neowin awesome :p but yeah no Sally Sparrow is something I will just have to get over...

you know people will return to bitch, its what makes Neowin awesome :p but yeah no Sally Sparrow is something I will just have to get over...

Haha, exactly, its why I asked.

I remember some people weren't going to watch Stargate Universe because how bad it was, but then were still there to complain every week, lol.

She's part of the old series now. She's gone forever. :p

The song in the background of the second clip (vampire one) i believe is from Pan's Labyrinth lol

You're not going to at least give him a chance? The series isn't even out yet. These random pictures we see might not even reflect the true story. For example, DT had a gun in the last show, with good reason. The new Doctor may have a good reason as well. It's really premature to write off the series yet.

You're not going to at least give him a chance? The series isn't even out yet. These random pictures we see might not even reflect the true story. For example, DT had a gun in the last show, with good reason. The new Doctor may have a good reason as well. It's really premature to write off the series yet.

I just have not seen anything that remotely triggers my interest at all. Just doesn't feel right.

I just have not seen anything that remotely triggers my interest at all. Just doesn't feel right.

Whatever floats your boat. I haven't seen enough to make a decision either way.

Notice in the latest promo the dalek has the Union Jack under the eye piece rather than the usual barcode thing.

The console still looks like garbage taped together. hope the rest of the new look TARDIS interior has something to it!